Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

So, why are you going?

So, why are you going?

Old Dec 28th 2005, 5:10 pm
Just Joined

Mr Pencil is on a distinguished road
Default So, why are you going?

Being new to these forums I’ve noticed that a lot of folks want to emigrate beacause they think the UK is going to the dogs. That’s not how I see it as my family have perfectly happy lives here. The reason we want to go to Oz is because we have close family and friends over there and we have been several times and like it very much. We like the idea of having an adventure before we get too old and set in our ways. We don’t necessarily see it as a permanent move or expect our quality of life to be any better, just different.

I was curious as to what reasons people have for choosing emigration - nosey aren’t I?

Cheers,
Pencil
Old Dec 28th 2005, 5:12 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So, why are you going?

Im going because Australia feels like 'home'.

And it is the right thing for us.
Old Dec 28th 2005, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Pencil
Being new to these forums I’ve noticed that a lot of folks want to emigrate beacause they think the UK is going to the dogs. That’s not how I see it as my family have perfectly happy lives here. The reason we want to go to Oz is because we have close family and friends over there and we have been several times and like it very much. We like the idea of having an adventure before we get too old and set in our ways. We don’t necessarily see it as a permanent move or expect our quality of life to be any better, just different.

I was curious as to what reasons people have for choosing emigration - nosey aren’t I?

Cheers,
Pencil

Hi we went to Australia for the adventure and also life is far too short to not give things a go. I didn't want to get to old age and sit there and wish I had tried it. It is something I have always wanted to give a go, so why not?
Old Dec 28th 2005, 5:35 pm
Just Joined

Mr Pencil is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by mand8002
Hi we went to Australia for the adventure and also life is far too short to not give things a go. I didn't want to get to old age and sit there and wish I had tried it. It is something I have always wanted to give a go, so why not?
Are you glad you did?
Old Dec 28th 2005, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

pippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud of

Still early in the whole process, but we are going for the adventure and quality of life.

Life in Scotland is good (work, area, family) except the weather (minus 4 tonight - compare with Melbourne today!). We don't expect QoL to be any better, but different.

We also feel it's worth giving it a try. The worst that can happen is that you don't like it enough and come back. But at least you can say you tried and you will definitely have some memorable moments along the way.

David
Old Dec 28th 2005, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

i'm also going to be closer to my extended family and friends. i'm going over as a mature <ahem> student and then applying for PR... and even if i don't get it and end up coming back or going somewhere else at least i'll have had a bit of an adventure for a few years!!!
Old Dec 28th 2005, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

xshirleyx has a brilliant futurexshirleyx has a brilliant futurexshirleyx has a brilliant futurexshirleyx has a brilliant futurexshirleyx has a brilliant futurexshirleyx has a brilliant futurexshirleyx has a brilliant futurexshirleyx has a brilliant future

We want to go because it is hubby's former home - He was quite happy in Australia until his mother decided to go back to England. I'm happy wherever my hubby and kids are I've got no rose tinted specs on as far as life being better in Aus. Been there twice and felt there was not much difference between melborne and here.

Shirley.

Last edited by xshirleyx; Dec 28th 2005 at 6:00 pm. Reason: missed a bit
Old Dec 28th 2005, 5:57 pm
Drifting back to earth

wavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond repute

Good post, exactly why we're going + we feel our daughter willl benefit more from being brought up in Oz instead of Britain......
Old Dec 28th 2005, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Are you glad you did?
Yes I am glad we did, but the downside is always going to be missing family. Life in Australia as far as I am concerned is far less stressful as people are so easy going.
Old Dec 28th 2005, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

because we can!!

we have the chance to go and see what it's like, as we do jobs that are in demand-why not?

i'm too old already but we can apply for PR via RSMS cos my partner is of an age to qualify(can't tell you exactly or she'll give me a thick ear'ole!).

we're going to Hobart so there won't be too much excitement to cause me any health problems, unless there's an imminent ban on shiraz that we don't know about...
Old Dec 28th 2005, 6:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I am glad we did, but the downside is always going to be missing family. Life in Australia as far as I am concerned is far less stressful as people are so easy going.

I'm going cos it's something I've always wanted to do, also we applied a few years ago but didn't have the points. My mum died last August and a few weeks later we got an e-mail from an agent saying that Australia needed Electricians which gave us enough points to apply. I think it was meant to be as she didn't want us to leave her behind but after she died she gave us a helping hand as she knew how much we wanted it!

That's what I like to think anyway.
Old Dec 28th 2005, 6:49 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers,
Pencil
We are going for exactly the same reasons as you except we see it as a permanent move!
Old Dec 28th 2005, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: was Bradford then poole dorset then Sydney,Forster, Kanwal,Gosford,and now Erina
FRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: So, why are you going?

My husband and i have a good life here but our son lives in Sydney and is getting married to a lovely Australian girl next year and thats where our grandchildren will be and we want to be part of there life, Janet
Old Dec 28th 2005, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Lal Lal a rural community outside Ballarat VIC, previously Kent England
oliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond repute

just fancied a change, and why not!!!

Lisa.xx
Old Dec 28th 2005, 6:58 pm
Gold Member

skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond repute

because gaoz!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.