Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

List of things that really are better in OZ.

List of things that really are better in OZ.

Old Aug 29th 2003, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough

fantastic weather
beautiful blue skies most days
superb countryside
so much to do
excellent bush walks
getting to the city in half an hour and parking easily for $10 a day
negative gearing on investment properties (big tax savings)
most things being explained in laymans terms
friendly people (mostly)
excellent rental properties (there are some bad ones though!)
every housing estate has its own local shops consisting of small supermarket, butcher, fruit and veg shop, bottle shop, dentist, doctors, hairdresser etc. everything you need around the corner, really gives you a sense of community as you get to know all the shop keepers by name, gives you a real sense of belonging.

dislikes:

complicated health system (got my head around it in the end)
TAX!!
narrow lanes on roads
TAX!!
the worry of skin cancer (I'm just paranoid)
wondering how the kids will get on when they are older (you would have some idea of how they would get on back in uk as you'd done it yourself!)
difficulty in getting cable, adsl, broadband internet in some areas, even though they are in 'built up' areas.
power lines
TAX!!

good points far outweigh the bad points though.

Mandy
Old Aug 29th 2003, 8:38 am
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice
Default Re: List of things that really are better in OZ.

Originally posted by mr mover
Chill out W/P you will Adapt........
I'm chilled. I'm just listing differences.
Old Aug 29th 2003, 8:40 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Florida_03
Old news mixed with urban myth? You must know me by now?

I am not defending Florida or my decisions in any way. Never have on this forum.

Australia is no utopia. Nor is the USA.

By the way I kept the five cents...
so whats good about ,the USA ,as Against Whats good about Aust ,which you still Hav,nt answered yet.??..... MM
Old Aug 29th 2003, 8:47 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

so whats good about ,the USA ,as Against Whats good about Aust ,which you still Hav,nt answered yet.??..... MM
I work in wireless communications and satellite navigation technology, so did Australia, once.

I wish to continue working. I like working. This is what I work in. I can work in Florida. I can't work in Australia (they don't do this stuff anymore - outsourced, desourced, replaced by sport). Did I mention work?

Oh...lifestyle? Leave that to rich gits. Me, I gotta work...

Did I mention work?...f$$k the beach
Old Aug 29th 2003, 8:50 am
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

Originally posted by Mandy Bale

dislikes:

narrow lanes on roads

difficulty in getting cable, adsl, broadband internet in some areas, even though they are in 'built up' areas.

power lines
Those sound like negatives that go under the UK heading.

Narrow roads ?. What you driving, a humvee ?

The UK has a embarrassingly poor record for broadband coverage. I lived 5 miles outside one of the biggest towns in South Wales. Does it have adsl/cable ?, does it buggery.

Power-lines: They catch my eye. Other areas may have been luckier, but South Wales was criss-crossed by millions of these eyesores. Can't say I've noticed them down here.
Old Aug 29th 2003, 8:51 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by renth
weather
beaches
people more laid back
less aggressive drivers
public transport
flora & fauna
OP bundy & coke in cans
Utes
V8 cars
skimpies

oh my god I've become an ocker!
Less agressive drivers ? jeeze you hav,nt been too Adelaide.... MM
Old Aug 29th 2003, 8:56 am
Can't re member

Less agressive drivers ? jeeze you hav,nt been too Adelaide....
Drive much in the UK lately ?.

Adelaide drivers are wusses. Of course once you're familiar with them you forget the first impressions and forget how fast and wild the UK roads are.
Old Aug 29th 2003, 8:56 am
Banned

Originally posted by Florida_03
I work in wireless communications and satellite navigation technology, so did Australia, once.

I wish to continue working. I like working. This is what I work in. I can work in Florida. I can't work in Australia (they don't do this stuff anymore - outsourced, desourced, replaced by sport). Did I mention work?

Oh...lifestyle? Leave that to rich gits. Me, I gotta work...

Did I mention work?...f$$k the beach
What about Raytheon, ...? MM
Old Aug 29th 2003, 9:10 am
Banned

Originally posted by welshpom
Drive much in the UK lately ?.

Adelaide drivers are wusses. Of course once you're familiar with them you forget the first impressions and forget how fast and wild the UK roads are.
No your right W/P i have never driven in the UK ,have,ing left Dorset as a 10 yr old . But hav,ing driven over most of Australia ,the Worst drivers , the worst vehicles {rust buckets }are in this state, compared with the rest of the country. I don,t know how much you you have seen of the rest of it....... MM
Old Aug 29th 2003, 9:13 am
Can't re member

No your right W/P i have never driven in the UK ,have,ing left Dorset as a 10 yr old
C'mon, they didn't even have cars back then.
Old Aug 29th 2003, 9:13 am
Badge

Second all the below...(in no particular order)

weather
people more laid back
flora & fauna
bundy & coke in cans
Utes
V8 cars
Sheilas

badgers

Old Aug 29th 2003, 9:20 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

what? they have better badgers in Oz?
Old Aug 29th 2003, 9:21 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

What about Raytheon, ...? MM
Raytheon, Boeing, BAE, ADI, Tenix, Honeywell, all shingle hangers. They are all just local marketing and sales divisions. When it comes to the real work it is done in Europe or the USA.
Old Aug 29th 2003, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough

Yes the roads are wide here around Sydney but have been devided into 2 or 3 lanes which makes overtaking big trucks with no central reservation a bit hair raising!! Not complaining just one of the dislikes. I find myself saying "thank god I made it home" most days here!

We couldn't get cable in our home in the UK even though the cable box was just round the corner, something to do with the shared mews type drive that served 4 houses, but we could get ADSL on the telephone exchange. Had trouble here in our first rental, which was on a four year old estate, as they said our home was too far from the exchange, we are 25km from Sydney CBD! Moved just down the road and managed to get it as by then they had updated the exchange. But there are still many areas around here that can't get it. Even in brand new estates.

when I talk about power lines I mean the ones along the streets, i.e. telegraph poles with wires on. Where we were in the UK and most places in the UK all street power/telephone was put underground years ago. saying that though a lot of the new estates now have the power underground, but all the older suburbs around here still have lots of telegraph poles loaded with cables, I suppose they will eventually put them underground as they have in the UK.

by the way, I wouldn't expect to get cable in South Wales, they still live in the 20th centuary don't they? (just kidding!)

Mandy

Originally posted by welshpom
Those sound like negatives that go under the UK heading.

Narrow roads ?. What you driving, a humvee ?

The UK has a embarrassingly poor record for broadband coverage. I lived 5 miles outside one of the biggest towns in South Wales. Does it have adsl/cable ?, does it buggery.

Power-lines: They catch my eye. Other areas may have been luckier, but South Wales was criss-crossed by millions of these eyesores. Can't say I've noticed them down here.
Old Aug 29th 2003, 9:49 am
Vee
BE Enthusiast

Vee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Wilf
Excellent idea dotty.

I think second hand dealers are much better in Oz than the UK, and have used them a lot in the past. The cheaper commercial rents here make it possible for second hand to be quite big and so you can get all sorts of furniture, fridges, freezers, washing machines, beds, etc., and some of it is good stuff if you are not above second hand gear. I like buying second hand if I can and, luckily for me, my wife is even more keen on it than I am, and so that is something that is a pleasure to us here, especially when we were younger and more skint.

I would advise anyone who does not look down on second hand gear to try this as a way of getting started here if you are coming with nothing much like I did. It can all be replaced a year or two on if you do settle here but will have been a bloody good saving if you decide to pack up and return to the UK.

When we worked in Sydney for 7 months we got most of our stuff second hand from a charity shop...mugs, glasses, cutlery, iron and board, lamps, cooking utensils, toaster, kettle. Everything was in great condition. We rented our furniture from one of those furniture rental places. And when we left we gave all the stuff back to charity (except for the rented furniture of course....that wouldn't have been a good idea!!!). I agree, I think the second hand shops/house clearence places in Oz are great. I will definately be going to them when we get there for the stuff that we need straight away before our other stuff arrives from the UK (such as toaster etc).

V

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.