Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Clotted cream or similar in the Bay Area

Clotted cream or similar in the Bay Area

Old Jul 10th 2011, 2:39 am
Forum Regular

sarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nice
Default Clotted cream or similar in the Bay Area

Hey

We are having a party next week (no sorry you aren't all invited) and I am planning to make some English food items and one of them was going to be scones with jam and cream. Does anyone know where I can buy clotted cream or something very similar - preferably in the Bay Area? Im sure I've seen it somewhere since I moved here, but can't find it anywhere now I want some

Thanks
Old Jul 10th 2011, 3:35 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Clotted cream or similar in the Bay Area

Originally Posted by sarahlou145
Hey

We are having a party next week (no sorry you aren't all invited) and I am planning to make some English food items and one of them was going to be scones with jam and cream. Does anyone know where I can buy clotted cream or something very similar - preferably in the Bay Area? Im sure I've seen it somewhere since I moved here, but can't find it anywhere now I want some

Thanks
Raleys often have some in their cheese section. It's about $8 for a tiny jar though
Old Jul 10th 2011, 3:50 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Lunardis, Mollie Stones
Old Jul 10th 2011, 5:55 am
Forum Regular

sarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nice

Thanks, I have a Lunardis and Mollie Stones nearby, no Raleys near to me.
It's possible it was in these stores I saw it as I used to shop in them lots.

Now I just need to work on my scone recipe
Old Jul 10th 2011, 6:17 am
BE Enthusiast

SalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond repute

I think Bel-Air and Raley's are operated by the same corporation, so you might have luck there.

A long shot would be trying John Campbell's Irish Bakery on 16th and De Haro. They have a small but good quality selection of British and Irish goods, but if they don't have it, at least their jam roles are delicious.

I have a professor that has an affinity for pork pies that recommended another place that sells goods in SOMA, but I can't for the life of me recall the name or exact location, sorry.

The only other thing I can think of possibly being of any help would be some of the trendier overpriced supermarkets, like Whole Foods.
Old Jul 10th 2011, 2:57 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SalopianFunk
I think Bel-Air and Raley's are operated by the same corporation, so you might have luck there.

A long shot would be trying John Campbell's Irish Bakery on 16th and De Haro. They have a small but good quality selection of British and Irish goods, but if they don't have it, at least their jam roles are delicious.

I have a professor that has an affinity for pork pies that recommended another place that sells goods in SOMA, but I can't for the life of me recall the name or exact location, sorry.

The only other thing I can think of possibly being of any help would be some of the trendier overpriced supermarkets, like Whole Foods.
Raleys, Bel Air and Nob Hill and Aisle 1 Food Source are under the same umbrella, based in West Sacramento.
Old Jul 10th 2011, 6:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

Oooh

I just got back from two weeks in England (weather was gorgeous BTW) and I spent 5 days in Cornwall. I was with a bunch of Americans who wanted to try all the 'local' stuff so we had a pasty for lunch every day and had quite a few cream teas. They really were quite taken with the clotted cream; I am sure it will be a hit at your party.

When you find it, let me know where it is so I can do some cream teas at my house. On a slightly less positive note, I seem to have put on at least 5 lbs - too much clotted cream and pasties me thinks.
Old Jul 10th 2011, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jackattack
Oooh

I just got back from two weeks in England (weather was gorgeous BTW) and I spent 5 days in Cornwall. I was with a bunch of Americans who wanted to try all the 'local' stuff so we had a pasty for lunch every day and had quite a few cream teas. They really were quite taken with the clotted cream; I am sure it will be a hit at your party.

When you find it, let me know where it is so I can do some cream teas at my house. On a slightly less positive note, I seem to have put on at least 5 lbs - too much clotted cream and pasties me thinks.
I am already planning my meals for when I go back in October: kebabs, fish n chips, indian, greggs sausage rolls, chinese .... the list goes on, that is why i joined ww now, so i can lose some before I go back and gain it all!!
Old Jul 10th 2011, 6:48 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

The SF Brit shop might have some - could be worth a call.

http://www.yousaytomato.biz/index.html
Old Jul 10th 2011, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
The SF Brit shop might have some - could be worth a call.

http://www.yousaytomato.biz/index.html
Thanks Ive sent them a quick email asking them
Old Jul 10th 2011, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

britishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to all

do they have harris teeter grocery stores there?

Our local ones sell it, very pricey though.

When I make scones, I use jam but just use heavy whipping cream, whipped up, its cheaper and still tastes yummy when everything is sandwiched together

I use any leftover cream to make an eton mess, which everyone always enjoys
Old Jul 10th 2011, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by britishspouse

When I make scones, I use jam but just use heavy whipping cream, whipped up, its cheaper and still tastes yummy when everything is sandwiched together

thats a great idea if i have no luck with the clotted cream, plus i love eton mess
Old Jul 10th 2011, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

britishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sarahlou145
thats a great idea if i have no luck with the clotted cream, plus i love eton mess
Me too. I'm a bit of a meringue fiend actually =P I had my first ever attempt at a raspberry pavlova whilst I was over there and it actually came out quite well
Old Jul 10th 2011, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by britishspouse

Nope thats east coast the only reason I am up this stuff I work along side
most of the major grocery chain stores in the US or they are with my company.
Old Jul 10th 2011, 11:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Nope thats east coast the only reason I am up this stuff I work along side
most of the major grocery chain stores in the US or they are with my company.
ahh gotcha I wasnt sure.

Sounds like a fun job!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.