Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The 'cost'/reality of living the dream..

The 'cost'/reality of living the dream..

Old Mar 27th 2012, 4:24 pm
Banned

fletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud of
Default Re: The 'cost'/reality of living the dream..

Originally Posted by Lorry1
Where are the back gardens? They all join up and no fences to separate boundaries.
It could mean you don't have to clean up after the dog has been out, NIMBY!

Unless it is someone elses dog.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

Tony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud of

I remember an old work mate telling me about a dispute he had with his neighbour regarding the location of a new dividing fence he wanted to erect between their two gardens. It was something ridiculous like the difference of 2". Got pretty nasty in the end and eventually had to be sorted out by the city planning dept.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

alcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nice

Originally Posted by el_richo
I'm pretty sure they could buy a 4 bed place near Glasgow for 200k
But it'll still be in Glasgow!

I don't think some people really get it...

Rightly it wrongly.. dillusional or not. People emigrate for different reasons. Ours is to better our environment.
Aye, for our kids (yep I said it)
And also for us.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 8:40 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alcat2010

Rightly it wrongly.. dillusional or not. People emigrate for different reasons. Ours is to better our environment.
And also for us.
Because we've all done it and realize its a load of bollox.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 8:45 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
+1
Old Mar 27th 2012, 8:50 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

And also for us.
Have you considered France? Since you're Glaswegian the language shouldn't be a problem.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

alcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nice

I couldn't give a monkeys what the OP does. They just need to shit or get off the pot.
Having a bout of indecision on deciding whether to TRY AGAIN after 4 years of getting pissed about, is acceptable.
Especially as its one big ass decision in life.

"Shit or get off the pot" ? This coming from a guy who admitted his immigration process took "3 months of a straightforward application, and a job lined up" ...

Not bad eh. Maybe if you had 4 years of pissing about maybe you would realise its not a case of just "shit or get off the pot"!..

Infact, it sounds like you were only one step away from just hopping on and off a boat, way back in the day..
Old Mar 27th 2012, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Have you considered France? Since you're Glaswegian the language shouldn't be a problem.
The kissing wouldn't be a problem either.. Though Ive always found the Glesga kiss to be more effective.. ya bas
Old Mar 27th 2012, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Oink
In YOUR experience. In YOUR opinion.

Bettering our environment shouldn't be hard.
Glasgow isn't regarded as one of the worst cities in western Europe for poverty etc for nothing. The list can go on a bit too
Old Mar 27th 2012, 9:23 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Having a bout of indecision on deciding whether to TRY AGAIN after 4 years of getting pissed about, is acceptable.
Especially as its one big ass decision in life.

"Shit or get off the pot" ? This coming from a guy who admitted his immigration process took "3 months of a straightforward application, and a job lined up" ...

Not bad eh. Maybe if you had 4 years of pissing about maybe you would realise its not a case of just "shit or get off the pot"!..

Infact, it sounds like you were only one step away from just hopping on and off a boat, way back in the day..
Knowing what I do about living in Canada versus the uk, I wouldn't spend years of my life and thousands of £'s chasing something that for most people doesn't exist.

Analysis paralysis doesn't get you anywhere.

Oh, and I married a Canadian and did it the easy way
Old Mar 27th 2012, 9:40 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Immigration reality is in the eye of the beholder

It's not like the OP hasn't done his research - hasn't applied before - and for those (like me) who came and stayed in Canada due to marriage or family reasons I don't think we can judge those who have a yearning for something different... even if that 'different' isn't quite all it's cracked up to be sometimes.

People said my former husband and I were 'crazy and foolhardy' to move to Hong Kong back in the 70's but we loved it there and raised a son without family support, without internet or emails or skype, with one trip back to the UK ever 2-3 years and with letters from our families arriving approximately 3 weeks after being posted. The pay at the time wasn't great but to us it was a great adventure!

I honestly believe success or lack of when immigrating is all about having a positive mental attitude, being able to adapt - and having a job.

Just my 2p worth... I'll shut up now
Old Mar 27th 2012, 10:31 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Knowing what I do about living in Canada versus the uk, I wouldn't spend years of my life and thousands of £'s chasing something that for most people doesn't exist.

Why did you not get her to move to the UK with you instead ER
Old Mar 27th 2012, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond repute

The kissing wouldn't be a problem either.. Though Ive always found the Glesga kiss to be more effective.. ya bas
Old Mar 27th 2012, 10:55 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Me too. Although little about moving to a new country proved easy. Ironically some of the things she moved back for - family in the main - no longer exist through seperation, death & people just generally growing up and moving on. She mused the other day that had she known then what was going to happen we'd still be living in the UK. I quietly fumed to myself in the corner....
Old Mar 27th 2012, 11:32 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Why did you not get her to move to the UK with you instead ER
We lived there for many years.

She misses living there

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.