Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Bringing our vehicle to Ireland

Bringing our vehicle to Ireland

Old Apr 28th 2012, 10:53 am
Just Joined

Joemaygo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bringing our vehicle to Ireland

We are currently in the process of buying a property in Ireland (Co.Mayo)
And will want to bring our vehicle over when we make the move over.
We have owned the vehicle since in May 2011 it was registered new in Dec 2011 and have proof of our purchase of the vehicle , our current UK road tax will expire at the end of May 2012 and my insurance is due for renewal mid June 2012.
We are hoping to complete the sale on the Irish property early in June so wanted to ask for some advice on how to proceed with UK road tax & Insurance v Irish road tax & insurance policy. It's looking like we'd certainly need to re-tax the vehicle at the end of May with a 6 month UK road tax disc. We don't really want to tax it for 12 months as we plan to move over to Ireland as soon as the sale completes. The insurance policy is a worry as I don't really want to renew it in the UK but would rather set up a new policy in Ireland from mid June onwards timeline permitting. How long can you use your UK registered / taxed vehicle in Ireland ( just in case I've got to renew UK insurance policy)
Also whats the timeframe for transfering a UK plated vehicle over to Irish plates paperwork wise.
All help/advice very much appreciated

Last edited by Joemaygo; Apr 28th 2012 at 10:55 am.
Old Apr 28th 2012, 11:22 am
Banned

Cuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Bringing our vehicle to Ireland

Originally Posted by Joemaygo
We are currently in the process of buying a property in Ireland (Co.Mayo)
And will want to bring our vehicle over when we make the move over.
We have owned the vehicle since in May 2011 it was registered new in Dec 2011 and have proof of our purchase of the vehicle , our current UK road tax will expire at the end of May 2012 and my insurance is due for renewal mid June 2012.
We are hoping to complete the sale on the Irish property early in June so wanted to ask for some advice on how to proceed with UK road tax & Insurance v Irish road tax & insurance policy. It's looking like we'd certainly need to re-tax the vehicle at the end of May with a 6 month UK road tax disc. We don't really want to tax it for 12 months as we plan to move over to Ireland as soon as the sale completes. The insurance policy is a worry as I don't really want to renew it in the UK but would rather set up a new policy in Ireland from mid June onwards timeline permitting. How long can you use your UK registered / taxed vehicle in Ireland ( just in case I've got to renew UK insurance policy)
Also whats the timeframe for transfering a UK plated vehicle over to Irish plates paperwork wise.
All help/advice very much appreciated

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/index.html
Old Apr 28th 2012, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the link
If anyone else has experience on this subject I'd be interested to hear from you as well.
Thanks again
Old Apr 28th 2012, 3:57 pm
Banned

Cuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to behold

Check out on that website exactly how much it costs to bring your car into the country - depending on age,emissions etc you could be better off selling in the UK and buying a new one in Ireland.

It makes a complete nonsense of the whole EU argument that Ireland even has a tax on imported cars and it's one of the reasons why there are so many clapped out bangers on Irish roads.

Plus, road tax on some cars can be outrageous so make sure you're not going to get stung. Car Tax on my '06 5-series Beamer is €900 a year !

Irish insurance companies will accept UK no-claims bonuses.
Old Apr 28th 2012, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

Hi
Thanks again
Because I've owned the vehicle for longer than 6 months in the UK and have full receipt from main dealer when I purchased it also proof of residency in UK ie bank statements etc I'm hoping I wil not be liable for VRT.
I was going do an online search for a quote for insurance in Ireland.
Old Apr 28th 2012, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

Vanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really nice

Originally Posted by Joemaygo
Hi
Thanks again
Because I've owned the vehicle for longer than 6 months in the UK and have full receipt from main dealer when I purchased it also proof of residency in UK ie bank statements etc I'm hoping I wil not be liable for VRT.
I was going do an online search for a quote for insurance in Ireland.
Buy a house in Newry and than you don't need to re-register!!!
Old Apr 28th 2012, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

It's a thought
Old Apr 28th 2012, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

Vanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really nice

I was joking, of course. But my grandmother lived on the boarder in Tynan and - in those days - registered her car in there, bought diesel in Monaghan Town, all her food in the south, using sterling, which was then accepted 'under the counter'. Those were the days when one had to have one's card stamped across the boarder.
Old Apr 28th 2012, 5:31 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Vanya
Old Apr 28th 2012, 6:00 pm
Account Closed

sickntired is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cuthbert Rizla
Check out on that website exactly how much it costs to bring your car into the country - depending on age,emissions etc you could be better off selling in the UK and buying a new one in Ireland.

It makes a complete nonsense of the whole EU argument that Ireland even has a tax on imported cars and it's one of the reasons why there are so many clapped out bangers on Irish roads.

Plus, road tax on some cars can be outrageous so make sure you're not going to get stung. Car Tax on my '06 5-series Beamer is €900 a year !

Irish insurance companies will accept UK no-claims bonuses.
You can afford it - what austerity?