Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Want to immigrate to America: Need some advice

Want to immigrate to America: Need some advice

Old Sep 25th 2008, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

Advocate is just really niceAdvocate is just really niceAdvocate is just really niceAdvocate is just really niceAdvocate is just really niceAdvocate is just really niceAdvocate is just really niceAdvocate is just really nice
Default Want to immigrate to America: Need some advice

Hi, I've never posted on this forum before, though, I've never had a reason to, anyway, here's where I'm at, and why I need advice.

About me:

I'm currently living in the UK, I'm nineteen and was in the process of joining the Royal Navy, anyway, I met a woman from America, on the internet, who I've now been talking to for roughly a year, and we've become extremely close in this time, so much so that we want to get married, so subsequently I scrapped the Royal Navy, I'm now moving out in about eight days, and have a full time job lined up to put money aside for the big move.

About her:

She's seventeen, eighteen in roughly five months (March, 5th). She's studying, and planning on moving to Georgia when she goes to College to study to become an English teacher.

Anyway, I'm set on this, I want to be with her, and she wants to be with me, but I don't exactly know the best way to begin the process. I've been reading about K1 Visas, and Green Cards etc.

I was hoping I could get some good advice from people whom are in a similar situation, or have been in the past, that can lend me a hand here, it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Any more questions, or important details I have missed out, feel free to ask.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 6:50 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Want to immigrate to America: Need some advice

hmmm wish it was that simple.....i know the answers but will leave it to a couple of our experts on this to reply. must say, shame you scrapped the royal navy being as you are so young...plenty of time to be thinking of settling down imo
Old Sep 25th 2008, 6:51 pm
Just Joined

Advocate is just really niceAdvocate is just really niceAdvocate is just really niceAdvocate is just really niceAdvocate is just really niceAdvocate is just really niceAdvocate is just really niceAdvocate is just really nice

Originally Posted by TruBrit
hmmm wish it was that simple.....i know the answers but will leave it to a couple of our experts on this to reply. must say, shame you scrapped the royal navy being as you are so young...plenty of time to be thinking of settling down imo
Sounds so cliche, but she's worth it. Thanks for the reply anyway.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 6:51 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

I don't want to be person who says 18 != a woman, or that you're still kids, or that quip about youthful innocence/naiivete.

Sounds like getting married is your only option. There might be some issue over whether she can support you.

\ See what I did there?
Old Sep 25th 2008, 6:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
I don't want to be person who says 18 != a woman, or that you're still kids, or that quip about youthful innocence/naiivete.

Sounds like getting married is your only option. There might be some issue over whether she can support you.

\ See what I did there?
Yeah, above all else, I was expecting a "LOL U GAIZ R LIEK 2 YUNG OR SOMMIT" Type reply, at least you phrased it nicely, but she's definately no little girl. Anyway, what do you mean by support me?
Old Sep 25th 2008, 6:57 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I moved your post to the Marriage Based Forum, since you're marrying a USC.

Here are some points where you are off-base.

1. You won't be moving to the USA in 8 days. You don't have a visa to do that yet, unless you currenly hold some kind of work visa.

2. You say you have a full-time job lined up. Does this mean they did a work visa for you, and this is what you'll be coming to the USA on? Otherwise, if not, you know you do not have permission to work in the USA on your arrival as a tourist.

3. If you've been reading enough about K-1 visas and green cards, you surely must know you can't just come in as a tourist, start working, get married, and then stay here. It doesn't work that way.

4. You have basically two choices...the K-1 fiance visa or the Immigrant Spouse Visa. Since you are UNmarried at the moment, you can start the K-1 process now (assuming you've met at least once in person in the past 2 years). The K-1 visa takes about 8 to 10 months to process. You can come VISIT her in the meantime while waiting for the visa, but you cannot stay in the USA, and you cannot work. Your other choice is to go ahead and marry her while you're here as a visitor, and then return to the UK to do the Immigrant Spouse visa. That visa also takes about 8 to 10 months.

Bottom line for you is....you will be coming to VISIT her on this trip in 8 days, but you will be returning to the UK to do either the K-1 or Immigrant Visa, whichever you choose. You will be MOVING to the USA when you have the appropriate visa in hand, about 8 to 10 months from now (or from whenever you start the process).

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Sep 25th 2008, 6:58 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Advocate
Anyway, what do you mean by support me?
Part of the visa process includes an Affidavit of Support done by the USC. She has to earn a certain amount of income, or have a certain amount in assets. If she does not qualify, she can use a joint sponsor.

Rene
Old Sep 25th 2008, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

Haha, I phrased that horribly, I meant I'm moving to a different area (In the UK) to look for work, so I can put money aside. I'm well aware of the wait. I'm just inquiring as to how best to go about it.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 7:01 pm

Haha, I phrased that horribly, I meant I'm moving to a different area (In the UK) to look for work, so I can put money aside. I'm well aware of the wait. I'm just inquiring as to how best to go about it.
Ahhhh OK. Good!

Well, there is really no "best way", it's whichever of the two methods works best for YOU guys.

Rene
Old Sep 25th 2008, 7:02 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I'll fall for it.

You're 19 ... out of school ... no uni decree

She's 17 ... in high school ... wants teacher's college and eventual teaching position.

Questions:

1. Have you met in person? If not, you can't do the K-1. Requirement is to have met within the 2 years prior to your filing.

2. Who is going to be your financial sponsor? Does she make approximately $18,500 annually which is the requirement for a family of two you + her = 2

3. If she doesn't, will her family be willing to financially sponsor you for the next ten years or perhaps for the rest of your life, even if you marry and divorce somewhere down the line?

4. Where will you live?

5. Who will pay her college tutition?

6. Who will pay the thousands of dollars it will cost for your K-1 and subsequent US immigration fees for filing petitions and medicals, etc.

7. What kind of work experience do you have? In what field?

8. You say you are moving out in 8 days and have a job lined up. Where are you moving out of and where are you moving to? What type of job do you have lined up?

9. Do you both think perhaps you might want to cool your passions a bit and she pursues her education and you pursue you military career and you both can meet up for long holidays and romps in the sun in Europe and/or southern US. You can practice safe sex for health and off-spring considerations and enjoy your youth.

Lots to be considered

Last edited by Rete; Sep 25th 2008 at 7:05 pm.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

You do set aside many good points, however underhanded, and bitter they come across. Maybe we have been quite hastey, but things seem so inaccessible at this point in time, I think I'll have to consider everything, and lay down my options. By scrapped, I meant I wasn't actively pursuing it, although I was going through the motions, it's still there in the running line, but the Military and these things take their time.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 7:11 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Can I just throw into the mix that my DH credits his time in the Royal Navy as some of the best years of his life and a contributing factor in his growth as an adult. He went in quite young and still regrets letting his then-wife talk him into quitting early.
Of course, it all worked out pretty well for me.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 7:16 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

You do set aside many good points, however underhanded, and bitter they come across. Maybe we have been quite hastey, but things seem so inaccessible at this point in time, I think I'll have to consider everything, and lay down my options. By scrapped, I meant I wasn't actively pursuing it, although I was going through the motions, it's still there in the running line, but the Military and these things take their time.
Rete is not being bitter. She's just not sugar-coating the cold hard facts.
I was being underhanded. Anyway, it's not as simple as just getting married. You have a long way to go.

Good luck.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 7:16 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

You do set aside many good points, however underhanded, and bitter they come across.
How do you mean?
Old Sep 25th 2008, 7:20 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Can I just throw into the mix that my DH credits his time in the Royal Navy as some of the best years of his life and a contributing factor in his growth as an adult. He went in quite young and still regrets letting his then-wife talk him into quitting early.
Of course, it all worked out pretty well for me.
And an aquaintance of DH and mine here in the U.S. actually got to the U.S. through the Royal Air Force (don't know if that's the official name for it). He worked at an American base here, retired, became a consultant at the American base doing the same job he was doing before, took his retirement money and bought a very nice home here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.