Working as a teacher in the US

Old Aug 10th 2008, 11:48 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working as a teacher in the US

Originally Posted by irishmikester
As much as I'm enjoying all of this attention I'm afraid I must go off line. I've to speak to the 'man' who deals with overseas teachers in an education authority on Monday. Perhaps he can shed more official light on the matter.
Thanks, until monday!
They will promptly ask if you have work authorization in the USA. What will you say to that?

Hint: You don't have it.

Then they will say sorry, we are unable to employ you until you have work authorization in the USA. At that point, you can ask them if they are able to apply for an H1B work visa for you. If they are, then you will go back to the UK before your 90 days are up on the VWP, and you will await their petition for your H1B work visa to be completed.

If they don't want to do that, take the advice of others, and talk to an immigration attorney immediately about your options for staying in the USA legally.

Don't go to Canada.

You say you are here on a tourist visa, but is that true? The fact that you mentioned they told you to go to Canada and come back for another 90 days leads me to believe you are here on the VWP (visa waiver program), which means you do NOT have a tourist visa.

No, there is no way you can just simply stay here and live with your girlfriend...well, not legally anyway.

Let us know how it goes tomorrow,
Rene
Old Aug 11th 2008, 6:51 pm
Just Joined

irishmikester is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks again for all of your replies!
So what happens if I marry my girlfriend? What would we need to do next?
Haven't heard back from the 'man' yet.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 7:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again for all of your replies!
So what happens if I marry my girlfriend? What would we need to do next?
Haven't heard back from the 'man' yet.
The "man" doesn't really matter much in your situation - as you cannot legally work anyway.

If you get married, you apply for Adjustment of Status to a permanent resident (AOS), Advance Parole (AP) - permission to travel, and EAD - permission to work.

You should expect the EAD in about 90 days - then you can take a job.

btw... as far as legality: If you came here on the visa waiver program (VWP) which it sounds like you have, and suddenly decided to get married, that's ok. If you came here with the INTENT to marry and stay here - that is illegal.

Be careful - if I were you, I would get a consultation with an experienced immigration attorney. If you make big mistakes, you could end up being banned from the US - for years, or forever.

www.ailalawyer.com
Old Aug 11th 2008, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

So what happens if I marry my girlfriend?
That would be a very good question for the immigration lawyer you should be contacting ASAP.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 7:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
That would be a very good question for the immigration lawyer you should be contacting ASAP.
Shorter and more succinctly than I put it
Old Aug 11th 2008, 7:07 pm
Just Joined

So, basically we didn't come here to get married (we looked at the fiance visa but decided that we would rather get married at another time in another place) .... a job offer has come up for my girlfriend and we are now interested in staying. I haven't got my passport with me so I'm not sure which visa I am under but I didn't apply for one before I left so I guess it is the visa waiver.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 7:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So, basically we didn't come here to get married (we looked at the fiance visa but decided that we would rather get married at another time in another place) .... a job offer has come up for my girlfriend and we are now interested in staying. I haven't got my passport with me so I'm not sure which visa I am under but I didn't apply for one before I left so I guess it is the visa waiver.
Okaaaay.

Well, if you didn't apply for a visa, you don't have one.

But as far as I know you cannot get into the US without a passport. They check the passport to see (among other things) to see if you are from a country that is allowed to use the VWP (visa waiver program).

How did you enter the US? Where is your passport?
Old Aug 11th 2008, 7:32 pm
Just Joined

I'm an Irish and British citizen. I came in under my irish passport.

Must go, I have immigration people to call!
Old Aug 11th 2008, 7:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Good idea
Old Aug 11th 2008, 8:50 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

If it's the 800 USCIS number, don't rely on what they tell you....

Rene
Old Aug 11th 2008, 9:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Noorah101
If it's the 800 USCIS number, don't rely on what they tell you....

Rene
Good point.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 12:28 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't got my passport with me ... I came in under my irish passport.
Both of these can't possibly be true at the same time!

Ian
Old Aug 12th 2008, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Both of these can't possibly be true at the same time!

Ian
I think he's just saying he didn't have it on him while he was typing. Like I don't have my passport with me so I can't tell you much about it, though I know it's at home in my filing cabinet.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 5:32 am
Forum Regular

megasue is just really nicemegasue is just really nicemegasue is just really nicemegasue is just really nicemegasue is just really nicemegasue is just really nicemegasue is just really nicemegasue is just really nice

Originally Posted by hobbes79
I think he's just saying he didn't have it on him while he was typing. Like I don't have my passport with me so I can't tell you much about it, though I know it's at home in my filing cabinet.
Hi,

If you want to teach you must first have all your credentials evaluated by one of the copanies there.
I used Joseph Silny but there are others look at www.naces.org
You then have to send off your evaluated credentials to the state where you wish to teach to get a statement of eligibility.
This takes a couple of months. Only then will people look at you as a serious option.
There are places that will sponsor but not many. I only know of Florida.

You need to get back to UK and do this properly if you intend to go this route.
Sue
Old Aug 13th 2008, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the last reply. I've already started that process and I'm just waiting on my stuff from Josef Silny.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.