Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

HELP!! Midwife wanting to move to USA..

HELP!! Midwife wanting to move to USA..

Old Feb 7th 2008, 9:46 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP!! Midwife wanting to move to USA..

Originally Posted by Dogbyte
In reply to a certain poster Yes, I am for 'real' in a real life situation, not of our making.
I am about to ask to have this thread closed by the Moderator on the basis that I entered my original comment as to be helpful to the original OP.

It now seems because I have been a little too open over certain proceedures employed by my wife's nursing agency that I am being castigated over the circumstances in which we find ourselves.Many of the comments are respected for giving honest advice to assist us but you have to understand that we do not have your experience in the USA,we reply on what the proceedures the agency dictates to us.
As far as the Green cards issue, we entered the USA in November 07 with a valid visa issued in July 07.
Due to our work contract being with the agency, who apart, from not currently having a job available, have been, upfront and imformative about the whole process.I have no doubts that on arrival, finally, in the US to commence the job, that their system will, immediately provide us with our documents.(have already supplied copies, as soon as they received them)They are in fact, acting as a post box. I would point out that at no time, have they ever refused or imtimated that we are held to ransom in any way. There are points which other posters have given have given cause for thought aswell as concern, which in turn will be raised.
Finally, whilst we are waiting, frustrated granted,I have nothing bad to say about the proceedures we have been through with our company.

I apologise to the OP for 'unwittingly taking'over his request for information,
When you were in the US recently, did you file for a re-entry permit?

Are you meeting the conditions of permanent residency?

PR is easy to lose if you do not actually live in the US...
Old Feb 7th 2008, 10:02 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

It seems Dogbyte has made himself clear. He did not want this to be a thread about himself, some questions were raised that he will look into and, he'd no longer like to participate in the conversation.

I'm not a big believer in locking threads, so I will leave it open for IF our OP comes back. Please respect Dogbyte's wishes to no longer discuss his case in this thread.

Dogbyte, if you have any further questions about your own case, you can start a new thread.
thanks all.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 11:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
You said "I don't think this person is for real. If you had a gc would you be sitting on your arse in England?"

If you have a question, he's here in the conversation. Ask him directly.
Ok hands up! Yes, I was out of order with that comment but it did seem to me that something was dodgy about the whole thing. Plus he still 'writes/talks" as if he is in 1950's movie - the whole not brit thing.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 4:28 pm
Just Joined

andlouguyeli is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Thanks for prompt replies!

As regards midwives - it's all a bit new there in the legal, profession sense, they are trying to regulate it. You can work as a certified midwife, a certified professional midwife and a certified nurse midwife. So the latter is out as I am not qualified as a nurse, but there is a challenge thing you can do once over there to see what nursing skills you do have - as a midwife I do a LOT of nurse things, just not all. A certified professional midwife is like an independent midwife here so I would have to take the risk and go out and start my own private practice - which is also not an option with a family. A certified midwife is newish - as America are just starting to recognise midwifery as a profession, and that is what I would go as - but at the moment CMs are only legally recognised in NY, NJ, RI.
What I really wanted to know is what VISA process is the best - do I just apply for a green card or are there other visas?
My wife is a qualified teacher, but is a full time home educator to our children at the moment.
MIDHUSBAND!!! Hmmmm, well can I just clarify this for those who might query!?
Mid is old english for "with" and wife or indeed wif is old english for "woman" hence "with woman", which is ultimately what us midwives do - those of us who are pro natural birth and avoid medical intervention where possible!
Thanks all,

Andy
Old Feb 11th 2008, 4:37 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andlouguyeli
Hi,
What I really wanted to know is what VISA process is the best - do I just apply for a green card or are there other visas?
There is no specific visa for that occupation

No

Not that I can see
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 4:10 am
baby catcher

Belinda-wales is a splendid one to beholdBelinda-wales is a splendid one to beholdBelinda-wales is a splendid one to beholdBelinda-wales is a splendid one to beholdBelinda-wales is a splendid one to beholdBelinda-wales is a splendid one to beholdBelinda-wales is a splendid one to beholdBelinda-wales is a splendid one to beholdBelinda-wales is a splendid one to beholdBelinda-wales is a splendid one to beholdBelinda-wales is a splendid one to behold

Hi Andy - Good luck with getting out here with just a midwifery qualification I am a UK trained Nurse midwife who has been in AZ for just over a year whilst converting my nursing qualification was relatively easy although long. I am hitting my head against a brick wall when it comes to converting my midwifery qualification. Anyway good Luck.

Belinda
Old Mar 4th 2008, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

travellingmidwife is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Andy,
Can't give you much info about the move, but can tell you that I have just worked for 3 years in Bermuda and went to Maine, USA to do my ALSO course. While there, I met a lot of US "midwives" and on talking to them, it became very apparent that midwifery in the States is NOTHING like it is in the UK. I would presume that your midwifery qualifications, if obtained in the UK, will only enable you to practice as an Obstetric NUrse, and for that you will need the NCLEX as previously mentioned.
I'm currently working in Guernsey. I have a pal in Bermuda who was asking the other day if there are ever any midwifery jobs in Jersey. I never see anything advertised, though.
Good luck with the move!
Amanda