Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

HELP!! Midwife wanting to move to USA..

HELP!! Midwife wanting to move to USA..

Old Feb 7th 2008, 1:13 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP!! Midwife wanting to move to USA..

Originally Posted by Dogbyte
Whilst I accept what everyone has said, the thing to remember is that we are under contract to them because they paid for all the organization of getting the green cards including costs associated with the immigration etc etc which includes the condition of employment from them so we are bound to them on that basis.Criticize us if you like, but as we are old fashioned we wont back out of our responsiblies, but just complain and whinge as we British do.
Its cost them under $5K .. offer that ..and go free young man

This is america ..land of litigation ...
Old Feb 7th 2008, 1:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
In fact there may be a case against them for obtaining the GC ..without a job being actually firm ... the agency could be in a heap of trouble ..
No, not quite correct, the agency actually employs the nurse and contracts them out to a hospital who requires them albeit at a higher price but the nurses are highly qualified in their own fields.So its the Agency who are the employers.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 1:20 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

No, not quite correct, the agency actually employs the nurse and contracts them out to a hospital who requires them albeit at a higher price but the nurses are highly qualified in their own fields.So its the Agency who are the employers.
Time to quit that employer then ...as is your right ..
let them sue ..would be a very interesting case ..

They won't of course ...
Old Feb 7th 2008, 1:22 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst I accept what everyone has said, the thing to remember is that we are under contract to them because they paid for all the organization of getting the green cards including costs associated with the immigration etc etc which includes the condition of employment from them so we are bound to them on that basis.Criticize us if you like, but as we are old fashioned we wont back out of our responsiblies, but just complain and whinge as we British do.
You can't be British about this. One thing I have learned since living here is ....If you want something, be noisy and pushy, stamp your feet.

Now here's my next idiot question....I am assuming they have obtained a GC for you but you will not be working for them. Therefore why can't you have your card so that you can come over and find a job in the area you want to live in.
Your wife will obviously accompany you but will wait for the agency to find her job (but not really).
Old Feb 7th 2008, 1:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
You can't be British about this. One thing I have learned since living here is ....If you want something, be noisy and pushy, stamp your feet.

Now here's my next idiot question....I am assuming they have obtained a GC for you but you will not be working for them. Therefore why can't you have your card so that you can come over and find a job in the area you want to live in.
Your wife will obviously accompany you but will wait for the agency to find her job (but not really).
I do agree over your first point and we are making loud rumbling noises which has had an effect,the jobs they have suggested to us already would have allowed us to come over but we are sticking out for the states I previously mentioned for a number of valid reasons, which they know about. In fairness although it is taking time we do consider it will happen when the right position presents itself.There are, as has been pointed out, numerous nursing jobs but to find the dept which is required is another matter.You will be aware that advertising/web sites/papers etc in the US for jobs, doesnt mean that the job exists, just that for future reference, they will have applicants.

It seems that we lost track of the original OP but by hearing one experience they may learn the problems we encountered and understand thats its not that easy, as it may seem so,at first.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 1:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ray
Time to quit that employer then ...as is your right ..
let them sue ..would be a very interesting case ..

They won't of course ...
I think I'd be afraid of going to court !!
Old Feb 7th 2008, 1:43 pm
Ray

Won't you have to show you GC to get back into the US ...
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly not an idiot for the suggestion. The problem is they hold our GC's & SS cards in their offices 5000 miles from us,which they will give us when we arrive out there to take up a position.
Well, I probably won't say anything more about this... except that the original GC (and quite possibly the SS card also) is the property of the US government... not the agency... and extortion is a felony - regardless of any paperwork you signed with them. It's time to get a lawyer on your side.

Ian
Ray

I think I'd be afraid of going to court !!
Yere about as much as I would ...!! lol...
Old Feb 7th 2008, 1:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ray
Won't you have to show you GC to get back into the US ...
Good point actually, but we obviously have the visa stamped in the PP with PoE stamp etc isnt that's all is req'd.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 2:33 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Good point actually, but we obviously have the visa stamped in the PP with PoE stamp etc isnt that's all is req'd.
Are you saying you have your I-551 stamped in your PP? When does it expire?

I thought PRs are required to live in the US - maintain a residence, bank account, file taxes (!!) etc.

You can file an I-90 to get a replacement GC. You can get a new SS card from any SS office (and the card itself is not needed to take up employment - you just need to know the number).

As far as the agency is concerned, I would consult with an immigration attorney.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly not an idiot for the suggestion. The problem is they hold our GC's & SS cards in their offices 5000 miles from us,which they will give us when we arrive out there to take up a position
WTF are they doing with YOUR green cards and YOUR social security cards??? This sounds extraordinarly f'ed up. I'm with Elvira. Get to a lawyer at once. What happens if you don't get an assignment for several months and USCIS decides that you've abandoned your permanent residence? I also would be reporting the cards as lost and ordering replacements.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 3:12 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Okay... maybe I'll say one more thing! If you both have a valid visa, you should go ahead and enter the US. Then... one of two things might happen: 1) if you tell the officer at the PoE that you are a PR, he can verify that and either admit you (which might not happen if you don't have the actual card with you) or he will refer the matter to an immigration judge (IJ); or 2) if you say nothing, you should be able to simply apply for a replacement GC once you're in the US... not sure how that's done without the actual card, but you lose nothing by trying. Same for the SS card... people lose them all the time!

Does anyone else think this sounds too far-fetched to work?

Ian
Old Feb 7th 2008, 3:32 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Does anyone else think this sounds too far-fetched to work?

Ian
Yes ..
he has the I-551 stamp ...

But I would remember the rule ..you must carry your GC card at all
times ..a sheriff will gladly recover it to ensure you follow the law..
Old Feb 7th 2008, 3:47 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
WTF are they doing with YOUR green cards and YOUR social security cards??? This sounds extraordinarly f'ed up. I'm with Elvira. Get to a lawyer at once. What happens if you don't get an assignment for several months and USCIS decides that you've abandoned your permanent residence? I also would be reporting the cards as lost and ordering replacements.
I still don't understand why they are placing any constraints upon you ,as you won't be working for them, only your wife.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.