Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

how do I watch you tube videos without them pausing all the time?

how do I watch you tube videos without them pausing all the time?

Old Feb 5th 2008, 8:01 pm

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: how do I watch you tube videos without them pausing all the time?

Originally Posted by MrRivaz
Are right, so hes on a dial up connection, well understandably his connection is slow, hes sharing a PStn Line thats spilt now with voice / Broadband.
Just a technical point here. A connection does not get slow from "sharing a PSTN line that's split with voice/Broadband"

The DSL signal presented onto the line runs at a completely different frequency (25Khz and above) to the voice traffic (4Khz and below)

The download speed you will get will obviously be dependant on the plan you subscribe to, but indirectly, due to attenuation (the loss of data due to the large amount of electrical resistance encountered as the data moves between the DSLAM and the user's DSL modem), the farther you are located down the cable run, the worse your speed will be.

This is why the ISP runs a check first to see if you are within the min distance to get an acceptable signal (although some may be unlucky enough to be on the fringes of acceptability)
Old Feb 5th 2008, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

MrRivaz has a brilliant futureMrRivaz has a brilliant futureMrRivaz has a brilliant futureMrRivaz has a brilliant futureMrRivaz has a brilliant futureMrRivaz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by @boy
Just a technical point here. A connection does not get slow from "sharing a PSTN line that's split with voice/Broadband"

The DSL signal presented onto the line runs at a completely different frequency (25Khz and above) to the voice traffic (4Khz and below)

The download speed you will get will obviously be dependant on the plan you subscribe to, but indirectly, due to attenuation (the loss of data due to the large amount of electrical resistance encountered as the data moves between the DSLAM and the user's DSL modem), the farther you are located down the cable run, the worse your speed will be.

This is why the ISP runs a check first to see if you are within the min distance to get an acceptable signal (although some may be unlucky enough to be on the fringes of acceptability)

DSLAM do you even no what that is? or where its situated, or are u copy and pasting from wikipedia?
Old Feb 5th 2008, 8:10 pm

DSLAM do you even no what that is? or where its situated, or are u copy and pasting from wikipedia?
Not sure what your damage is mate.
I currently work in 3rd level escalation for the ANZ networks team.
Prior to that, the HP Managed Network Services team.
I have spent the last 15 years full time in IT, most of the that as a Network Engineer.

Remind me what you do for a living and where you get off insulting me for no reason ?
Old Feb 5th 2008, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

MrRivaz has a brilliant futureMrRivaz has a brilliant futureMrRivaz has a brilliant futureMrRivaz has a brilliant futureMrRivaz has a brilliant futureMrRivaz has a brilliant future

Not sure what your damage is mate.
I currently work in 3rd level escalation for the ANZ networks team.
Prior to that, the HP Managed Network Services team.
I have spent the last 15 years full time in IT, most of the that as a Network Engineer.

Remind me what you do for a living and where you get off insulting me for no reason ?
Ive read my posts, and i wasnt insulting you, Im a gas installer,allthough i did sub contract to BT for a longer time that i care to remember, maintaining the exchange and inside that exhange is... DSLAM,......... so you know thier broadband is goin down the same PSTN line, yes the speed does decrease the further away from your exchange your located, im not disputing that, all i am saying is what i know, dial up customers, share more of the line that broadband users. hence broadband appose to narrow band,
Old Feb 5th 2008, 8:19 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.zdnet.com.au/broadband/speedtest.htm

Make sure you are not using the connection for anything else once the test is running.

Let us know what result you get !
14030 kb/s...........

Is that good?
Old Feb 5th 2008, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
12972 kb/s...........

Is that good?
no

just over 1 meg
Old Feb 5th 2008, 8:21 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Typically voice is 300 hz to 3.4 khz

So essentially isnt the problem, Bandwidth. The pre-requisite component of telephony.

Ste
Old Feb 5th 2008, 8:21 pm

no

just over 1 meg
Nearly 1 and a half now - just edited post!!

It's still more than twice faster than the average for QLD!! Good enough for me!!
Old Feb 5th 2008, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

it really depends on what ur payin for, if your payin for 2 meg then yeah thats all good
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

It's still more than twice faster than the average for QLD!! Good enough for me!!
14000 kb/s isnt 1.4 mb/s

its 14 mb/s !

which is bloody fast !

Last edited by Timber Floor Au; Feb 5th 2008 at 8:25 pm.

Ive read my posts, and i wasnt insulting you,
Ok no problem them. I apparently have been overly sensitive by interpreting your statement.....

...as an insult ;-)

Last edited by @boy; Feb 5th 2008 at 8:52 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 8:25 pm
Banned

no

just over 1 meg
your getting your Bytes messed up mate
Old Feb 5th 2008, 8:26 pm

no

just over 1 meg
errr...you do realise the difference between 14 Mb and 1.4Mb ?
Maybe you should use that old Wikipedia thing to look up the difference ;-)
Old Feb 5th 2008, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
14000 kb/s isnt 1.4 mb/s

its 14 mb/s !

which is bloody fast !
Kewl!!! Only got it set up a couple of days ago in new place! Cable as opposed to ADSL, so was sceptical. So far very impressed though!!!
Old Feb 5th 2008, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

Ok no problem them. I may have been overly sensitive by interpreting the following.....
...as an insult ;-)
its ok m8 we all make mistakes, like me sayin 1.4 meg, which i still thinks right, shes made a typo

ner mind

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.