Working as a teacher in the US

Old Aug 8th 2008, 4:15 pm
Just Joined

irishmikester is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working as a teacher in the US

Hello all,

I'm a qualified and experienced teacher who has been told that he would be able to find work in the US as there is a teacher shortage. I have moved here with my girlfriend (US citizen) who is currently looking for a job. In your view, how likely is it that either a public school or private school would be willing to take on a wee Irish / British teacher like myself?
In the event that I can't get work, I have read that an artist is able to get a visa if they live solely on their 'artistic' livelyhood .. know anything of that?
In that event that that is not a goer ... can I live in the US, supported by my girlfriend, for about 3 years?

Looking forward to your positive and hopeful replies ... or whatever you would like to send!
Old Aug 8th 2008, 4:25 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working as a teacher in the US

Originally Posted by irishmikester
Hello all,

I'm a qualified and experienced teacher who has been told that he would be able to find work in the US as there is a teacher shortage. I have moved here with my girlfriend (US citizen) who is currently looking for a job. In your view, how likely is it that either a public school or private school would be willing to take on a wee Irish / British teacher like myself?
In the event that I can't get work, I have read that an artist is able to get a visa if they live solely on their 'artistic' livelyhood .. know anything of that?
In that event that that is not a goer ... can I live in the US, supported by my girlfriend, for about 3 years?

Looking forward to your positive and hopeful replies ... or whatever you would like to send!
You "moved" here with your girlfriend???

You do not have a visa to live here?

You had better return home before your I-94 runs out.

And obviously no working.

Check Pulaski's Ways in the Wiki for visa information...
Old Aug 8th 2008, 4:33 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I love posts like these. They're such fun!
Old Aug 8th 2008, 4:35 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
I love posts like these. They're such fun!
But I always thought you're the M...

Not the S
Old Aug 8th 2008, 4:41 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

It will be simple. As soon as you are married and submit your application to actually move here, you can also apply for a work permit and then you can work wherever you can get hired.
You can live in the US, supported by your WIFE, for as long as you can convince her.

PS: snipped parts are not 'goers'.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 5:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all,

Have you heard of a teacher shortage in the UK and Ireland.........it's the same here..........there is NO teacher shortage.......do not believe what you hear
Old Aug 8th 2008, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

So how long ago did you "move" to the US? What did you say at the border? What is the date stamped on your I-94?

Unless you are in posession of a visa that allows you to work in the US, you won't be getting hired legally by anybody. Even if you had such a visa, you'll find that teaching is a highly regulated, largely unionized profession in the US. Competition is high for jobs in good school districts, I doubt they will be keen to hire a foreigner. Maybe there are teacher shortages in poor, inner city districts, but don't count on finding a job easily.

Artistic visa? Are you an famous, outstanding artist, leader in your field, with a worldwide following, exhibits in top galleries?

Supported by your girlfriend for three years? Nope.

You and your girlfriend need to get to an immigration lawyer immediately before you get into trouble that will be difficult to get out of.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 5:51 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

unless you get a visa or marry and adjust status you wont have ANY right to work in the US and as such i think next to impossible to get a job as you are an illegal immigrant.

fyi - cant get a visa whilst in the us - so if you want to follow that route you will need to make sure you return to the UK before the 90 days are up on the vwp or you will be classed as having overstayed and that makes evrything ten times harder/impossible - as they dont like to give visas to people with proven history of breaking the rules.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

What I recommend if you are willing to marry:

1. Get married... fast (walking the tight rope on legality, but since the OP didn't come here with the intention of marrying...)
2. Have you WIFE get a job immediately with enough income to meet sponsorship requirements.
3. File for greencard.
4. Don't leave the US til the greencard comes through.

What I recommend if you are not willing to marry:

1. Change your location on your avatar to "England".
2. Go home within 90-days.
3. Look for legal work based methods to move to US.

There are other alternatives of course, but they are not legal and so not open for discussion.

Good luck.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 7:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Marmalade
Have you heard of a teacher shortage in the UK and Ireland.........it's the same here..........there is NO teacher shortage.......do not believe what you hear
Hi.
Thank you everyone for your honest replies. Regarding a shortage of teachers I'm looking for work in an innercity where there are indeed teacher shortages ...as there are all over britain hence the huge numbers of Aussies, kiwis, south africans etc who work all over britain. So far, it has been explained to me that the US already looks overseas for teachers and public school systems have been happy to accept applications.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Hi.
Thank you everyone for your honest replies. Regarding a shortage of teachers I'm looking for work in an innercity where there are indeed teacher shortages ...as there are all over britain hence the huge numbers of Aussies, kiwis, south africans etc who work all over britain. So far, it has been explained to me that the US already looks overseas for teachers and public school systems have been happy to accept applications.
Innercities are the exception, you are right. Because hardly anyone wants to work there, for safety reasons.........I'm a teacher, I know. But, if this is what you want to do and can do it, then good luck.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 7:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by hobbes79
What I recommend if you are willing to marry:

1. Get married... fast (walking the tight rope on legality, but since the OP didn't come here with the intention of marrying...)
2. Have you WIFE get a job immediately with enough income to meet sponsorship requirements.
3. File for greencard.

What I recommend if you are not willing to marry:

1. Change your location on your avatar to "England".
2. Go home within 90-days.
3. Look for legal work based methods to move to US.

There are other alternatives of course, but they are not legal and so not open for discussion.

Good luck.
Marriage is an option for us and we are considering eloping in Canada. This is not something we would prefer. Has anyone any advice on a shotgun wedding and the process after that?
Old Aug 8th 2008, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

we are considering eloping in Canada
Err, note my recommendation 4:

Bringing yourself a whole world of problems if you do what you suggest.

You'll want to pop over to the Marriage forum for more details if you do want to go the marriage route.

As for shotgun weddings... Vegas is your best bet. Nothing actually illegal about you marrying your girlfriend in the US.

Last edited by hobbes79; Aug 8th 2008 at 7:36 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Marriage is an option for us and we are considering eloping in Canada. This is not something we would prefer. Has anyone any advice on a shotgun wedding and the process after that?
Not sure why you think that "eloping in Canada" would help you to stay legally in the US.

You still have not answered the question about how you entered the US and what your current status is. If you don't want to answer it that's OK, but be aware that if you are here illegally or if you stay longer than you are allowed to based on however it was that you got into the US there can be serious consequences including being removed from the US and being banned from returning for an extended period (which could be as much as 10 years depending on the circumstances)

Sounds like your only practical option is to get married, but you should immediately consult an immigration attorney in order to figure out exactly what your current status is, what your options are, and how you should proceed.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 7:33 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly no shortage in my part of the US ...
http://www.tampabay.com/news/educati...icle695371.ece

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.