Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

ICT Training courses in UK - tax deductable?

ICT Training courses in UK - tax deductable?

Old Apr 25th 2012, 7:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Chortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of light
Default ICT Training courses in UK - tax deductable?

I've been looking at doing some certified training - ITIL, LEAN etc and the costs in QLD are prohibitive (yeah it would be lovely if my employer would pay but they won't). For the same certification, courses are half the price in the UK - and I can stay with relatives. Australian price = British price + flight
Does anyone know if I could claim the cost of UK training (and possibly even part/all of the fligh) against Australian tax? I'll ask my accountant but just wondered if anyone had done this, I'm itching for a trip home!
Old Apr 26th 2012, 2:34 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ICT Training courses in UK - tax deductable?

Originally Posted by Chortlepuss
I've been looking at doing some certified training - ITIL, LEAN etc and the costs in QLD are prohibitive (yeah it would be lovely if my employer would pay but they won't). For the same certification, courses are half the price in the UK - and I can stay with relatives. Australian price = British price + flight
Does anyone know if I could claim the cost of UK training (and possibly even part/all of the fligh) against Australian tax? I'll ask my accountant but just wondered if anyone had done this, I'm itching for a trip home!

I don't see why not - providing it's a genuine work related course, then it should be tax deductible. What would happen if they didn't offer the course in Australia? You would have to go overseas then...

I believe that providing that the course is the true and real reason you are going back, and you don't tack on 2 weeks holiday to the end, then you can also claim the flights as well.

I would certainly have a go at it anyway. The accountant can only say no...

S
Old Apr 26th 2012, 2:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I don't see why not - providing it's a genuine work related course, then it should be tax deductible. What would happen if they didn't offer the course in Australia? You would have to go overseas then...

I believe that providing that the course is the true and real reason you are going back, and you don't tack on 2 weeks holiday to the end, then you can also claim the flights as well.

I would certainly have a go at it anyway. The accountant can only say no...

S
I believe that Australia tax system works on the premise of "wholly, exclusively and necessarily" when it comes to allowable expenses. In which case, I would be stunned if a flight to the UK to attend a course would be allowable. One personal engagement and exclusively falls down for a start.

Anyway, see what the tax accountant says, I agree the worst that can happen is it is a no.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 3:00 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chortlepuss
I don't see why not (apart from the flights where I don't know), I claim for my membership of the IEE, which is a UK institute and the invoice is in GBP.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 3:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I don't see why not (apart from the flights where I don't know), I claim for my membership of the IEE, which is a UK institute and the invoice is in GBP.
I assume it is necessary/ expected for you to have professional body membership though, same with me. Whereas, I would not assume that a training course would be allowable, if it is only a nice to have that is. Not saying it isn't, just that I would not assume it is.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 11:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of light

Ta everyone!
I reckon the courses will be tax deductable but not the flight - I'd deffo tack on a few weeks down the pub to recover from all that studying