Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

American would love advice re:moving to England

American would love advice re:moving to England

Old May 17th 2012, 7:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American would love advice re:moving to England

Originally Posted by Ethelred_the_Unready
No, I am not trying to discourage. Of course places are different, but my point was that sometimes pressures of work, bills etc make anywhere you reside in feel like somewhere you want to leave. For example, I couldn't wait to move to Massachusetts, then I landed a shitty job (which I quit) and had to deal with 3-4 hours of commuting in total each day, which put a huge brown stain on beautiful New England.

The UK has problems too. I am guilty of looking at my homeland with rose-tinted specs and it's easy for me to continually bash the US. I am not in an unhappy place. Despite going through hell lately, I see with more clarity than I've seen in a long time. Do I like the US? I don't know. I don't like the mainstream culture here, but the same garbage culture exists in Britain, France, Australia and Canada too. The advancement of technology and social networking has made it much harder to socialize in the traditional sense. That would apply in either the US or the UK.

Please visit first, that's all I'm recommending. Listen to people on here who have lived in both countries for a length of time. We are not trying to put you off. The easy thing for us all would be to say that the UK is a fairytale land of castles and hamlets, while the US is a crime infested, cultureless ghetto, yet we know neither of those statements are true.
I don't even think it's about any intrinsic pros/cons of a country. We all know that feelings of cultural loss we didn't even know were there can kick in once we've left. It is extremely difficult to predict how you will feel, even if in your head you 'know' how it will be.

If Sile is not able to visit first, she should definitely be sure to have the financial back-up that you advised. If she never needs it, great.
Old May 17th 2012, 7:26 pm
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I don't even think it's about any intrinsic pros/cons of a country. We all know that feelings of cultural loss we didn't even know were there can kick in once we've left. It is extremely difficult to predict how you will feel, even if in your head you 'know' how it will be.

If Sile is not able to visit first, she should definitely be sure to have the financial back-up that you advised. If she never needs it, great.
Exactly. There is nothing wrong with going with your gut and trying something new, but just make sure you have a way back if it doesn't go as you planned or if you simply feel different after 6 months of living there. Culture shock it not something to be taken lightly. You don't know how you'll react to it until you experience it, so insure yourself.
Old May 17th 2012, 7:52 pm
Banned

sile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nice

Does everyone always go thru culture shock? Is it inevitable that I will feel out of place and disoriented? Is it possible that I would feel comfortable right ff the bat and stay that way? I have to say, when people mention culture shock it makes me feel like it's a given and will cause me such consternation as to want to turn and run back home immediately. You make it sound like I'll need therapy to adjust !
Old May 17th 2012, 8:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sile
Does everyone always go thru culture shock? Is it inevitable that I will feel out of place and disoriented? Is it possible that I would feel comfortable right ff the bat and stay that way? I have to say, when people mention culture shock it makes me feel like it's a given and will cause me such consternation as to want to turn and run back home immediately. You make it sound like I'll need therapy to adjust !
Some people don't, till years later. Most do on the other hand, at least for some length of time.

It might only be a little, but it also hits some people quite hard.

I think it tends to be harder for those moving from one English country to another, especially one which they see on the tele/movies and think that they have an idea of what living there might be like. Certainly because you have built up expectations that you probably wouldn't have if you needed to learn the language at the same time.

It's one of those things you can't predict, but it's one of those things you should prepare yourself for. Just like having an emergency fund set aside so you can move back if you don't like it. It'll remove so much pressure off your shoulders knowing you've got the money for a return flight, to bring your stuff and set back up if things don't work out rather than the worry of being stuck, further getting you down because you're now stranded.
Old May 17th 2012, 9:45 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Some people don't, till years later. Most do on the other hand, at least for some length of time.

It might only be a little, but it also hits some people quite hard.

I think it tends to be harder for those moving from one English country to another, especially one which they see on the tele/movies and think that they have an idea of what living there might be like. Certainly because you have built up expectations that you probably wouldn't have if you needed to learn the language at the same time.

It's one of those things you can't predict, but it's one of those things you should prepare yourself for. Just like having an emergency fund set aside so you can move back if you don't like it. It'll remove so much pressure off your shoulders knowing you've got the money for a return flight, to bring your stuff and set back up if things don't work out rather than the worry of being stuck, further getting you down because you're now stranded.
I'm with Bob on the "shock" thing and for lots, lonliness is a big factor (the older you get, usually the worse it gets)

I would also always recommend going with your gut (like so many others).

As for the emergency fund, yup, it's nice to have but the amount is up to the individual, some like a hang glider to jump off cliffs some don't mind in a squirrel suit, lol.
Old May 17th 2012, 10:44 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you will experience culture shock. That's just the norm and part of making an international move. England isn't America but with history and pretty villages. It is worlds apart in almost every way. The question is how much it will bother you.

I think that you think you are not trying to be discouraging, but you kind of sound discouraging, and I think that's because you are in an unhappy place right now and it's coloring everything.
I don't think that's fair. He's being frank about the realities - and btw, he's being very British. I've said this before, but Brits are not relentlessly positive the way Americans are. If you have a dream in America, people will tell you to go for it. If you have a dream in Britain, people will tell you to stop being so silly.

Whenever you come across that attitude on this forum, it seems to bother you. Now imagine living 24x7 in a culture where that outlook is the norm. I still think you should go for it if you want to, but I also think you are wholly unprepared for what England is like. That's OK, you'll figure it out once you arrive and either adapt or leave. Either way, you'll know you tried

Last edited by sallysimmons; May 17th 2012 at 10:48 pm.
Old May 17th 2012, 11:12 pm
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Yes, you will experience culture shock. That's just the norm and part of making an international move. England isn't America but with history and pretty villages. It is worlds apart in almost every way. The question is how much it will bother you.

I don't think that's fair. He's being frank about the realities - and btw, he's being very British. I've said this before, but Brits are not relentlessly positive the way Americans are. If you have a dream in America, people will tell you to go for it. If you have a dream in Britain, people will tell you to stop being so silly.

Whenever you come across that attitude on this forum, it seems to bother you. Now imagine living 24x7 in a culture where that outlook is the norm. I still think you should go for it if you want to, but I also think you are wholly unprepared for what England is like. That's OK, you'll figure it out once you arrive and either adapt or leave. Either way, you'll know you tried
I don't even get where the negativity thing came from. I was simply trying to give the OP the benefit of my knowledge & experience, not only from being born & raised in the UK, but also living abroad (the US) since 2003. If anyone wants to dismiss it as negativity to just risk it all and move to a foreign country, I am no one to stop them. I just feel obliged to make them aware that you should be prepared for both ups and downs and a culture shock, which 9 years later I still haven't quite overcome.

Funny, because 2 months ago, I might have responded rather differently. I often blindly defend the UK and look at it with rose tinted specs. I am actually trying not to do that, as tempting as it is. It wouldn't help the OP if I did.

Honestly, if your heart is set on it, go for it. You only live once. Just take our advice into consideration and try to draw from it rather than dismiss it as negativity. Living abroad is going to be a challenge, especially once the honeymoon phase wears off and you are left with many of the same realities as you'd face anywhere else + adapting to a new culture.

Best of luck.
Old May 17th 2012, 11:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Whenever you come across that attitude on this forum, it seems to bother you.

Yes. This is why I'm urging her to be cautious.
Old May 17th 2012, 11:50 pm
Banned

sile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nice

Let me try to explain...I don't think anyone is intentionally trying to discourage me. I am sure you are trying to be helpful. I do think it is probable that each person's experience and frame of mind colors what they say, wouldn't you agree?

That said, I am sure you can understand that this is a huge decision, one I am making all alone. I have lost my whole family...mother father and sister, in fact today marks the 6th anniversary of y sister's untimely death at the age of 58 a my current age. I have been so grief stricken for years that I couldn't possibly have made any more changes in my life. But now I am ready and eager to get on with things, and I am trying to be decisive. Any negative comments, no matter how true and helpful, just kind of throw me off course.
Perhaps I am a complete idiot to think I could move to another country alone and be happy. I don't know. Maybe I really don't have a clue what people are like there or what I will be up against.

Take me with a grain of salt.....
Old May 18th 2012, 12:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Let me try to explain...I don't think anyone is intentionally trying to discourage me. I am sure you are trying to be helpful. I do think it is probable that each person's experience and frame of mind colors what they say, wouldn't you agree?

That said, I am sure you can understand that this is a huge decision, one I am making all alone. I have lost my whole family...mother father and sister, in fact today marks the 6th anniversary of y sister's untimely death at the age of 58 a my current age. I have been so grief stricken for years that I couldn't possibly have made any more changes in my life. But now I am ready and eager to get on with things, and I am trying to be decisive. Any negative comments, no matter how true and helpful, just kind of throw me off course.
Perhaps I am a complete idiot to think I could move to another country alone and be happy. I don't know. Maybe I really don't have a clue what people are like there or what I will be up against.

Take me with a grain of salt.....
Of course you can move and be happy. The country can't make you happy though. A common trap for expats.
Old May 18th 2012, 12:57 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps I am a complete idiot to think I could move to another country alone and be happy....
No one is saying that. Just that baby steps are probably the best way to settle into things, especially if finances are a concern.

A few longer term holidays while a bit up front in cost is ultimately going to be a lot cheaper than diving into the deep end and finding you'd rather ended up in another part of England, or the UK.
Old May 19th 2012, 6:55 am
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

I totally get where you're coming from. As labeling as it might sound, its never the less true that different cultures can and do have a more or less optimistic mentality about life in general. I have read many posters on this site comment, and at times complain about the general negative british way of thinking compared to Americans.I think its important for the OP to be aware of that factor.And, its very good of you to point that issue out. Some people I have heard would compare the general british(not all brits) mindset toward life to that of new yorkers but multiplied.Not sure if thats actuate but that has been the comparison.

Last edited by UkWinds5353; May 19th 2012 at 7:00 am.