Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

IELTS requirement for native English speakers

IELTS requirement for native English speakers

Old May 3rd 2009, 10:21 am
Just Joined

curioustom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IELTS requirement for native English speakers

Hello all

Is it correct that even if I am a native English speaker (it is the only language I speak) I would not attract 25 points on application under the skilled migration programme. My understanding is That to get maximum points I would need to sit an IELTS test and reach a certain standard in that. Is there any other way round this? If not, how hard is the IELTS for a native speaker of English?

In addition accountant is listed on the csl, but only if an IELTS test has been passed at a sufficient level. Given what I have said above is there any way round sitting an IELTS test but being considered as if I had for csl purposes?
Old May 3rd 2009, 10:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IELTS requirement for native English speakers

If you want 25 points not 15 points for English then you have to do the IELTS test. Likewsie, if you want to be a CSL Accountant you have to do the IELTS test. No there is no way around it, why would there be.

I have toyed with the idea of doing the IELTS test to get into CSL, have looked at some practice papers on line briefly and they were not as easy as I had thought. I believe all it takes is some practice though, I would not suggest booking it and then walking in without practice and expect to pass.
Old May 3rd 2009, 10:35 am
Just Joined

Jack-L is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by curioustom
Hello all

Is it correct that even if I am a native English speaker (it is the only language I speak) I would not attract 25 points on application under the skilled migration programme. My understanding is That to get maximum points I would need to sit an IELTS test and reach a certain standard in that. Is there any other way round this? If not, how hard is the IELTS for a native speaker of English?

In addition accountant is listed on the csl, but only if an IELTS test has been passed at a sufficient level. Given what I have said above is there any way round sitting an IELTS test but being considered as if I had for csl purposes?

You will get 15 points and no need IELTS test if you are the passport holder of five specific English speaking countries. Even you are a native English speaker but do not hold the passport of one of these countries, you still need IELTS test and must obtain band 6 for each of the four component.
You will get 25 points if you can obtain band 7 and above for each of the four component.
For CSL accountant, you must sit for IELTS, no other way.
Old May 3rd 2009, 11:09 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

I too had to sit the IELTS and I'm a teacher here in Northern Ireland, so, unfortunately, it's the only way of getting those 25 points you're looking for! Just get a study guide and get stuck into it the week prior to the exam! I did, and nearly got full marks, much to my surprise!!!

(PS If you do need to do the IELTS, get it booked soon as the test dates are snapped up very quickly! You're going for the General Training test, as opposed to the Academic!)
Old May 3rd 2009, 11:22 am
Just Joined

curioustom is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys, I'll get my test booked asap
Old May 3rd 2009, 11:39 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys, I'll get my test booked asap
Good luck, and don't be surprised if you've to wait til about July to do it...

If however you wanted to submit your visa application meanwhile, then upload the IELTS result when you get it, that is ok for someone who already has the 15 points due to their UK etc passport!

I lodged my visa application in Feb but did the IELTS in March, only submitting the IELTS result in April when it came through! So if you wanted to 'get in the queue' visa wise, that's one way of doing it!

Jen
Old May 3rd 2009, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

immigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the rough

Hello all

I would like to remind you, 15 points of English marks not focus on you are native English speaker or not, it need you to show you are UK/Ireland/USA/Canada/New Zealand passport holder
Old May 3rd 2009, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

auzsci is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Good luck, and don't be surprised if you've to wait til about July to do it...

If however you wanted to submit your visa application meanwhile, then upload the IELTS result when you get it, that is ok for someone who already has the 15 points due to their UK etc passport!

I lodged my visa application in Feb but did the IELTS in March, only submitting the IELTS result in April when it came through! So if you wanted to 'get in the queue' visa wise, that's one way of doing it!

Jen
So, is it OK to send in your visa application even if you don't have the full points, provided that you send the evidence at a later date? How late can this be?
Old May 3rd 2009, 4:38 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by auzsci
So, is it OK to send in your visa application even if you don't have the full points, provided that you send the evidence at a later date? How late can this be?
What passport do u hold?
Old May 3rd 2009, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

What passport do u hold?
British.
Old May 3rd 2009, 11:06 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

British.
Then yes, as I said above that's what I did...
Old May 4th 2009, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

immigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the rough

Someone said that not all kind of British passport holders exempt IELTS to prove his/her English ability
Old May 4th 2009, 5:17 am

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by immigrants
Someone said that not all kind of British passport holders exempt IELTS to prove his/her English ability
"someone" must have been misinformed, the source says nothing about it.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...ty-english.htm

UK passports issued by High Commissions overseas have no right of abode and receive different treatment for migration purposes.

NJ
Old May 4th 2009, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks.
Old May 4th 2009, 6:04 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Thanks.
No problemo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.