Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Sole proprietorship with 1 year IEC visa?

Sole proprietorship with 1 year IEC visa?

Old Apr 17th 2012, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

duncanhall is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sole proprietorship with 1 year IEC visa?

If granted my IEC I'm hoping to find work on a freelance/contract basis while in Canada. From what I can tell, this kind of thing would normally be done under a sole proprietorship.

Does anyone know if I'm allowed to set up a sole proprietorship for the extent of my IEC visa?
Old Apr 17th 2012, 9:36 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sole proprietorship with 1 year IEC visa?

Originally Posted by duncanhall
If granted my IEC I'm hoping to find work on a freelance/contract basis while in Canada. From what I can tell, this kind of thing would normally be done under a sole proprietorship.

Does anyone know if I'm allowed to set up a sole proprietorship for the extent of my IEC visa?
Nothing stopping you working as a proprietorship as long as you follow all the regulations, such as business licensing, work within zoning bylaws, registration for GST/HST if you expect to exceed the threshold of $30,000 a year (so you then have to collect HST and remit is, as well as claim back on purchases), insurances if required and keep adequate records for 7 years, pay income tax etc. Although if you are not in the country and CRA want records, not sure what they could do anyway.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

duncanhall is an unknown quantity at this point

Perfect, thanks. Tax and licensing etc. seems pretty similar to being self-employed/sole trader in the UK or Australia, which I've done before. Just wasn't sure if I was permitted to set it up under IEC.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 1:22 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by duncanhall
Perfect, thanks. Tax and licensing etc. seems pretty similar to being self-employed/sole trader in the UK or Australia, which I've done before. Just wasn't sure if I was permitted to set it up under IEC.
If you permit allows you to work and has no conditions, cannot see where the problem would be.