Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Central, South America & Mexico
Reload this Page >

Daughter registered as British in Ecuador - visa needed?

Daughter registered as British in Ecuador - visa needed?

Old Jul 31st 2010, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

CuttersGoose is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Daughter registered as British in Ecuador - visa needed?

Hi Folks,

I recently registered my daughter as British whilst I have been living in Ecuador (my wife and other daughter are Ecuadorian). She was born here and had an Ecuadorian Birth certificate. I went through the process of registering her birth with the British Embassy and received her certificate two weeks ago.

The claim to citizenship on the birth certificate says:

S 2(1)(a) British Nationality Act 1981

Does this actually mean that my daughter is now registered as a British citizen because it is not clear from the paperwork I have received? Secondly, and more importantly I'm wondering if I now need to get visas for her for living in Ecuador. With any luck in six months I will be taking both my daughters and my wife back to the UK for settlement and I'm worried in case we have problems when we exit the airport. Obviously my daughter will exit on a British passport but with no visa for Ecuador inside it.

If anyone can provide advice it would be much appreciated. I'm only in Ecuador myself until Wednesday next week as I am returning to the UK for six months to prepare for my wife and other daughters visa applications and set up our home.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 5:03 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Daughter registered as British in Ecuador - visa needed?

It means she automatically - ie, when she was born - became a British citizen (by descent) under section 2(1)(a) of the British Nationality Act 1981.

She's still an Ecuador citizen, most likely, so may still need an Ecuador passport as well as a British one.

Your other daughter, isn't she British too ... unless she's your step-daughter? If so, why doesn't she also have a British consular birth certificate?

Note the exit requirements for Ecuador citizens under 18 travelling without both parents: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1106.html
Old Jul 31st 2010, 10:05 pm
Just Joined

Yes, my other daughter is my step-daughter. She has to be added as a dependent on my wife's visa application.

So, based on the information above I'm still not sure what happens at airport time. If my daughter has both an Ecuadorian passport and a British passport do I show both at the customs and security desk? Because if I show the British passport it will appear she's living here without visas, and if I show the Ecuadorian passport it will look like she is trying to exit to the UK without permission.

In previous experience I've had a lot of trouble trying to exit Ecuador myself and once before with my wife and step-daughter. I'm just trying to make things as smooth as possible as it cost me two sets of airflights in the past. There was nothing wrong with paperwork or anything but the authorities just wanted to make it as hard as possible for some reason.

Thanks for the responses so far folks, much appreciated.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 4:04 am
BE Enthusiast

anuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud of

Your daughter was born in Ecuador. Does she now have any passport ?

1. Get a British passport
2. Go to the foreign ministry along with the birth-certificate and ask how to go about making sure she is good to go abroad.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by anuny
Your daughter was born in Ecuador. Does she now have any passport ?

1. Get a British passport
2. Go to the foreign ministry along with the birth-certificate and ask how to go about making sure she is good to go abroad.
The first passport we are applying for my daughter is a British one. I had previously avoided going to the foreign ministry just in case we needed visas or something for her to be here after her British nationality was given.

Thanks for the advice guys. Will start the passport application over the coming week.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 2:33 am
BE Enthusiast

anuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by CuttersGoose
The first passport we are applying for my daughter is a British one. I had previously avoided going to the foreign ministry just in case we needed visas or something for her to be here after her British nationality was given.

Thanks for the advice guys. Will start the passport application over the coming week.
Duh (I shoulda thunk it )! Actually the British High Commission/Embassy would be the ideal folks to advise you on how to go about making sure your daughter gets the right paperwork/visa stamp/exit papers.