Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Change Interview Date - London Embassy

Change Interview Date - London Embassy

Old Oct 9th 2009, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

John Boy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Change Interview Date - London Embassy

My wife and I have been allocated an interview in London (I-130 visa - sponsored by our daughter). The date is in Mid-November (we are planning to move to the US early next year).
We are in the process of selling our house here in the UK (got a buyer; ready to move in by Christmas - then we'll rent for a while).
So, with all the chaos that involves (along with significant work-related issues) we want to postpone the interview (and medical) until early/mid Jan.
Any advice on how to go about this; i.e. what is the best approach with respect to not jeopardising our case and how to contact the right department (is there an e-mail address? Or do we have to call the premium rate number?)

Ta,

John Boy
Old Oct 9th 2009, 1:11 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Change Interview Date - London Embassy

Originally Posted by John Boy
So, with all the chaos that involves (along with significant work-related issues) we want to postpone the interview (and medical) until early/mid Jan.
The visa is valid for 6 months - does that figure into your timeline? It'll give you until mid-May to arrive in the US to validate your visas.

Any advice on how to go about this...
Probably not what you want to hear, but you really should try to keep the appointment. Even if you get confirmation that they received your request to change the appointment, there's no guarantee that they will change it... they aren't obligated to. Further, there is no guarantee that the person scheduled to interview you will get the notice that you want to alter the appointment, and if that happens, your case will be summarily closed and the visas denied.

Ian
Old Oct 9th 2009, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

You're right - it's not ideal for us, especially as the time they'e allotted is early on a Monday, so we would have to travel down on Sunday; we just don't have enough weekends at the moment...)

Anyone have any direct experience of switching/trying to switch dates?

Thanks,
John Boy
Old Oct 9th 2009, 3:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

For an interview at a USCIS office in the US - Ian's advice goes. For an interview at the US Embassy in London, they are much better organised in this regard and it is pretty safe to change the date. Downside: you do have to call the premium rate number. They sent me a new email with a revised appointment letter.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

agentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to behold

Speaking from personal experience, changing dates was not a problem at all.

I made my appointment for a Friday, then called back the next day and changed it to a Monday. They confirmed via e-mail within the hour, providing all the updated documents (payment receipt, appointment letter) with the updated date and time.

They were perfectly fine with it, friendly and didn't ask for any further fees or reasons for the change. However I was calling for an H1 visa, so I'm not sure if there's any difference.

I'm going to disagree with Ian on this one because the confirmation e-mail will let you know whether they've changed it or not. But I agree that the premium rate number sucks!

Last edited by agentred; Oct 9th 2009 at 4:50 pm.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 4:49 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agentred
Yeah this is not a problem at all.

I made my appointment for a Friday, then called back an hour later and changed it to a Monday.

They were perfectly fine with it, friendly and didn't ask for any further fees or reasons for the change. In fact you can reschedule anytime up to the day before the interview.

The only downside is the premium rate number!
That sounds right for non-immigrant, but not for immigrant visas.

John Boy, you can first try an email to [email protected] and ask for a reschedule. Put your case number in the subject line and include as much identifying information as you feel safe, including your case number IN the body of the email.
You may get a message back immediately saying your email was deleted. People very often still get a reply after the auto reply.

Do that now, and if you don't hear anything back after 10 days, call the call center in Scotland and you can get a code for the email address that is supposed to get your message through.

good luck.
PS: remember that part about the visa being valid for 6 months. However, the visa can not be valid past the expiration of your medical or police checks.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

agentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by meauxna
That sounds right for non-immigrant, but not for immigrant visas.
My mistake! John, follow the advice of the grown-ups and you'll be fine.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 4:56 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agentred
My mistake! John, follow the advice of the grown-ups and you'll be fine.
lol, no, no.. that's just my guess. I've never heard of IV people being able to change up that fast. They have a limited number of IV interview slots each day, that's all.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 5:53 pm
Just Joined

Thanks all for the prompt advice and suggestions.
I'll try the e-mail address and see how it goes.

John Boy
Old Oct 10th 2009, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

I just checked out my Police Certificate.
It was issued on 27th August.
Would I be correct to assume 12 months validity?
(We haven't had the medical yet, and plan to do this a week/two prior to interview)

Thanks again for all the valuable input.

John Boy
Old Oct 10th 2009, 6:01 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes.

Rene
Old Oct 10th 2009, 7:22 pm

(We haven't had the medical yet, and plan to do this a week/two prior to interview)

Thanks again for all the valuable input.

John Boy
Assume nothing!
This is for the UK police certs; different countries may have different guidelines.

U.K. Police Certificates
How to obtain a police certificate for the United Kingdom

Immigrant visa applicants, who have resided in the United Kingdom for 6 months or more since the age of 16, are required to obtain a police certificate from the Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO). Further information is available from their website at http://www.acpo.police.uk/certificates.asp. This police certificate will serve to advise the U.S. Embassy, London whether or not any criminal conviction is held against him/her.

The police certificate will be sent to the address provided at the time of application. Please note that the Immigrant Visa Unit considers the police certificate valid for 12 months from the date of issuance, not six months as stated on the certificate.
Old Oct 10th 2009, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again for the very quick response.

Yes, to assume makes an ass out of u and me (well me anway...)

Back to the (rental) house hunt!
Old Oct 12th 2009, 9:30 am
Just Joined

Sent the e-mail to the address provided.
Pleasantly surprised by the reply -

Your message has been received by the Consular Information Unit. We arecurrently averaging three to four days to answer email correspondence. There is no mechanism for "status checks" while a visa application isbeing processed. Inquiries concerning cases which requireadministrative processing or background checks, and which have beenpending less than 90 days, will not be answered. Please do not, under any circumstances, send a duplicate or follow-one-mail. Repeat messages slow down our response time, and we reserve theright to permanently delete all e-mails from senders who transmit repeatmessages or status checks. Sincerely,Consular Information Unit

I rather expected the 'Your e-mail has been deleted; go away' that seems to have been the 'standard' response experienced by others previously.

I'll keep y'all posted if they accede to my request for a deferral.

John Boy
Old Oct 15th 2009, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

Hi,

Latest (pretty speedy) response is as below (edited to remove sensitive info) -

Thank you for your e-mail correspondence.

At your request, your appointment for an immigrant visa interview on xxxxxxxx, 2009, has been cancelled.

A new appointment for your immigrant visa interview will be scheduled for mid-xxxxxxx. The Immigrant Visa Unit will provide you with one months notification of the date and time of this appointment.

Sincerely,

Consular Information Unit
U.S. Embassy, London
CONS/CIU/DC

This informal method of responding enables us to respond to you within a shorter time. No record is being made of this correspondence. If you need to e-mail us again, please return this e-mail.

So, I guess we just sit tight for a few weeks now.
(A little disturbing that they don't keep a record though...)

John Boy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.