Reload this Page >

A family move to the USA. Guide

A family move to the USA. Guide

Old Apr 19th 2014, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

Bekes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A family move to the USA. Guide

Help/ Guide family wanting to move to USA
Hello, so loving this forum. Iam 35 years and my Husband is 42 we have 3 kids 13, 10 and 5. We are British and live in London. As a family we want to move to Moreno Valley, North Carolina, Dallas, we are also open to other Towns depending on where there is a jobs and Schools.I work as a family Assessment officer with Social service with over 7years exp I also trained as a Nutritional Therapist just last year. My Husband has exp in MBA Project mangt (prince 2) he is a Train operator/ Train Driver over 10years.
What are our options as par work please. What is the best place to apply for jobs, to get work permit? I would love to set up my business, how easy is it please?
How much is renting a three or four bed house? What is a good wage? Just thought going through my mind/ head?
For Families that have made the move how is life in USA compare to London? Would love to have the American dream.
Any information or exp will help.
Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 1:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A family move to the USA. Guide

Nothing you have said about yourself suggests either you or your husband have any way to get a visa to work in the US. Please take a look at the two "Pulaski" wikis in the US section of the Wikis tab above, but in short, unless either you or your husband have US parents or siblings, there is likely no way for you to get a visa to live in the US.

FWIW There are ways to set up a business in the US and get a visa that way, but while there is no absolute minimum investment to start up such a business, in practice you should consider about $200,000 to be the practical minimum investment.

I see you are researching Canada too, which I hear isn't easy either, but it's a more likely possibility for you than the US.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 19th 2014 at 1:30 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 1:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bekes
Help/ Guide family wanting to move to USA
Hello, so loving this forum. Iam 35 years and my Husband is 42 we have 3 kids 13, 10 and 5. We are British and live in London. As a family we want to move to Moreno Valley, North Carolina, Dallas, we are also open to other Towns depending on where there is a jobs and Schools.I work as a family Assessment officer with Social service with over 7years exp I also trained as a Nutritional Therapist just last year. My Husband has exp in MBA Project mangt (prince 2) he is a Train operator/ Train Driver over 10years.
What are our options as par work please. What is the best place to apply for jobs, to get work permit? I would love to set up my business, how easy is it please?
How much is renting a three or four bed house? What is a good wage? Just thought going through my mind/ head?
For Families that have made the move how is life in USA compare to London? Would love to have the American dream.
Any information or exp will help.
Thanks in advance.
I don't know what kind of visa you'd be coming over on, but just curious as to your location choices. Moreno Valley, North Carolina and Dallas?
Old Apr 19th 2014, 1:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE and good luck!

You're not getting a visa based on your job prospects and I doubt the OH is either.

So realistically, do you have shed loads of cash for an investment route?

All your questions are a bit irrelevant without that first visa step.

Also, pointless without a specific region in mind. The answer is going to be very different for Texas, v NC to any other state you have in mind. Even then, it'll depend on where in that state too. A 4 bed house with a decent garden can be rented all in for $750 a month in one state and be $10K a month in another :/
Old Apr 19th 2014, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, we are between Canada and USA. We both have degrees. Is it legal to work the first 90days, if I find a job? I have distant family in Moreno Valley CA.
I was thinking of running a cafe, I have one in London 16months old.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 1:52 pm
Just Joined

Moreno Valley CA, I have family, Dallas thought will be good for family. Just reading about visas. I do visit holiday. Would love to try living, if the visa is easy to get. Thanks for all your answers
Old Apr 19th 2014, 1:55 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

...., if the visa is easy to get. ...
It isn't. Sorry.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 1:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Moreno Valley CA, I have family, Dallas thought will be good for family. Just reading about visas. I do visit holiday. Would love to try living, if the visa is easy to get. Thanks for all your answers
Ahhh, I see.. Well I know Moreno Valley, just thought it was weird to have it lumped with Dallas and/or North Carolina..

What family do you have there? Someone immediate enough to sponsor you and your family?
Old Apr 19th 2014, 1:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, we are between Canada and USA. We both have degrees. Is it legal to work the first 90days, if I find a job? I have distant family in Moreno Valley CA.
No, you can't work on the VWP and getting a visa for the US is far from 'easy to get', it's probably the hardest country to immigrate to!

Do you have the $200k to get an investment based visa as suggested by Pukaski? If so that could be an option for you to buy a cafe, although do note that there's no direct route to a greencard on that visa.

What family do you have in the US?
Old Apr 19th 2014, 2:00 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Do you mean on the VWP, if so, no it isn't legal, you can only work in the US if you have a work visa, or an investment visa, but you do need a visa, so you need to read the Wiki as has been suggested. If you were to visit and find a job, then until the employer had paid thousands of dollars and waited the time it takes to get you a visa you would have to be in the UK. You distant family will be no help in getting a visa.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 2:40 pm
Just Joined

Whoa! So glad to have all this information. I value the information so fare what I have come to understand it is not so easy to move to the USA, I would love to live there. Also looking at Canada. Thanks can a friend sponsore my work permit visa?
Old Apr 19th 2014, 3:21 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

No, they can't.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 3:24 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Whoa! So glad to have all this information. I value the information so fare what I have come to understand it is not so easy to move to the USA, I would love to live there. Also looking at Canada. Thanks can a friend sponsore my work permit visa?
Only if your friend owns a company, and only if there is a position open, and only if that position requires a degree and you have a degree in that field. And only if your friend is willing to spend several thousand dollars to petition for your H1B visa (you cannot pay this yourself, the employer must pay). And if that scenario is actually a possibility, then your friend/employer can file a petition for you on April 1, 2015 so you can begin work in October 2015 (you missed the cutoff date this year, sorry).

Rene
Old Apr 19th 2014, 3:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

For Families that have made the move how is life in USA compare to London?
The USA is a very big place, and it depends what you're comparing.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 5:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

How does it compare? It's different in some ways, similar in others.

(According to Horace it's a piece of pie to move to the US though.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.