Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

banking job demand in Australia

banking job demand in Australia

Old Apr 8th 2014, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

mous1975 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default banking job demand in Australia

I need a sincere advice. I am a banker by profession(14 yrs of Credit ) and trying to migrate to Australia for better quality of life. Unfortunately, banking is not under the Skilled Occupation list. I have a bachelor's degree in commerce with MBA in finance along with professional qualification of ICWAI (Cost Accountant).
One of my friend has suggested that I should take up masters in professional accounting with CPA in Australia and subsequently work for another two years and then apply for PR. Please advise whether the suggestion is sensible or not as I feel that it maybe a big gamble considering I am already 38 yrs with two school going kids.Also if I take up the course, the minimum fee would be around 30k AUD per annum and the duration is 2yrs
Please advice How can I migrate with my family to Australia.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 1:28 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: banking job demand in Australia

Originally Posted by mous1975
I need a sincere advice. I am a banker by profession(14 yrs of Credit ) and trying to migrate to Australia for better quality of life. Unfortunately, banking is not under the Skilled Occupation list. I have a bachelor's degree in commerce with MBA in finance along with professional qualification of ICWAI (Cost Accountant).
One of my friend has suggested that I should take up masters in professional accounting with CPA in Australia and subsequently work for another two years and then apply for PR. Please advise whether the suggestion is sensible or not as I feel that it maybe a big gamble considering I am already 38 yrs with two school going kids.Also if I take up the course, the minimum fee would be around 30k AUD per annum and the duration is 2yrs
Even if you were to take that course, trying to find work as a newly qualified accountant may not be easy.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 3:01 am
Just Joined

Thanks, can you please advise how should I try for immigration and job search. ..I am serious about Australia
Old Apr 9th 2014, 3:08 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, can you please advise how should I try for immigration and job search. ..I am serious about Australia
Without a job on the skills list, there is no migration and job search. If you are considering studying in Australia, you would need to find a course first I think but changing career to accountant can be done in your home country
Old Apr 9th 2014, 3:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Well don't listen too much to your friend because at least half of their advice is incorrect and I don't know about the other half. Accountancy is very unusual in that there are no work experience requirements to get a positive skills assessment and as there are no work experience requirements to get a visa either, this advice seems completely random.

What I do not know is whether taking a two year MBA is sufficient to get a positive skills assessment. I am not sure I would take the risk for $30k. There is also chatter that immigration are becoming tired of the accountancy students and might start to block that path by the time you get to the end of the course.

If you really want to stand a chance with skilled migration, a genuine career change, not a course is probably a better route, although even that comes with no guarantees.

I also think you should re-examine your motives. Moving for "a better life" is an old cliche, unless you are from Afghanistan or somewhere of course. For a Brit, you are just swapping one first world country with another.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 2:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Well 38 isn't that old, considering the retirement age today:-). Honestly, why Australia and what do you expect to have there if you're already worried about your profession? I wouldn't waste 30K and then the additional costs, as you probably won't have an income during that period.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for genuine response. I am from Asian Sub continent but working in a bank for last 10 years. The reason to move is purely for my kids who will get a better quality of life which they are now getting in dubai. I am disappointed that despite having dual professional qualifications and banking experience, I am not being eligible under SOL and PR. Hence I was thinking of doing MPA(Accounting) CPA.
Is there any other way or courses which can help me out
Please advice
Old Apr 9th 2014, 3:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for genuine response. I am from Asian Sub continent but working in a bank for last 10 years. The reason to move is purely for my kids who will get a better quality of life which they are now getting in dubai. I am disappointed that despite having dual professional qualifications and banking experience, I am not being eligible under SOL and PR. Hence I was thinking of doing MPA(Accounting) CPA.
Please advice
Yeah, but do you really think your kids would have a better quality of life in Australia? I'm sure that there are many places in Europe that offer the same quality and you don't need a visa etc. Kids can play outside all year round and don't have to be bothered about the ozone.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

Dear, I would require visa since I am an Asian as mentioned earlier. I am not much aware about European countries which allows migration to my profile. Any further advice will be highly appreciated.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 3:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dear, I would require visa since I am an Asian as mentioned earlier. I am not much aware about European countries which allows migration to my profile. Any further advice will be highly appreciated.
Sorry my fault. You would need a Visa but far easier with your experience. It seems like you only have Australia in your head, so the only way is to learn a skill required.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 3:43 pm
Just Joined

No it not Only Australia in mind... It that here in Dubai the immigration consultants market only Australia Canada and New Zealand. Hence Australia was my choice of destination out of the three countries
If you can advice me any other country in Europe which can consider my profile, I will be thankful. ...
Old Apr 9th 2014, 3:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Please advice
See comments above on taking the accounting course. Generally skilled migration requires much more than taking one course.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 4:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
See comments above on taking the accounting course. Generally skilled migration requires much more than taking one course.
Yes, I know only MPA CPA will not help...After that hunting for accountant job will be a nightmare as the country has oversupply of accountants. .
Can you please advise on possibilities of getting banking job directly from Dubai and from there on pursue my Australian dream...
Old Apr 9th 2014, 4:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes, I know only MPA CPA will not help...After that hunting for accountant job will be a nightmare as the country has oversupply of accountants. .
Can you please advise on possibilities of getting banking job directly from Dubai and from there on pursue my Australian dream...
Well there is nothing for it but to make job applications .... noting your occupation needs to be on one of the skilled occupation lists.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Well there is nothing for it but to make job applications .... noting your occupation needs to be on one of the skilled occupation lists.
Thanks again, I guess that my Australian chase has to take a back seat till I don't find any suitable alternatives. .. Bad luck for me. ..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.