Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Am I making the right decision?

Am I making the right decision?

Old Mar 23rd 2014, 12:33 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I making the right decision?

Originally Posted by paulry
I agree to be careful if the marriage is on shaky ground but surely the same applies with any family moving here?
Yes it does. Especially when one party is unsure of whether they want to actually make the move.
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 12:39 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Yes it does. Especially when one party is unsure of whether they want to actually make the move.
I suppose in a one Australian, one British spouse situation the risks are greater that one spouse will want to stay and the other will want to return than for those families where both spouses are from the UK.
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 12:46 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose in a one Australian, one British spouse situation the risks are greater that one spouse will want to stay and the other will want to return than for those families where both spouses are from the UK.
I don't know about that. I know of a few marriages that have split because one wanted to go back and the other didn't. In almost all of them they were from the same country. Although, I can see how it would be harder for mixed marriages. One person is always "home".

Emigrating is never easy. There are so many stresses that go with it and of course every person's experience will be different so it's really impossible to say what they are. For instance, in our case our kids really did not cope with the time change at all! We spent about 3 weeks trying to get everything done while dealing with kids who just could not physically adapt to the 11 hour time difference. Then my husband couldn't find work which was really soul destroying for him. And only 8 months after arriving he moved interstate leaving us living apart - which again the kids did not cope well with. Then 2 months later the kids and I moved to join him and it was me who couldn't find permanent work for a while. Any of those times would have seen us return or separate if only we had the money to do it.
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 1:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CherryUK
Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply. Its really helped. And I think you are very right Kris Rocks- aid we don't try it we will always wonder. I feel that every year we go and visit.

Quoll- I understand your principle if out if side out if mind being easier but I don't think if be able to do that. I speak to my parents every day at the moment. We live 4 hrs apart here and I'm used to FaceTiming them so hopefully hopefully it won't be too horrendous. The time difference will be hard.

Beiz- I realise its not a funny situation for you but your reply did make be laugh!

Its been freezing in the uk today- helps be feel positive about the move.!!
No prob. Yes not a great situation but I've got to make light of it for mental health reasons. By the way, my wife really likes it in Oz now. Bit of adjustment at the beginning. Its just the grumpy old bastard that gives her the regrets.
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 1:52 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know about that. I know of a few marriages that have split because one wanted to go back and the other didn't. In almost all of them they were from the same country. Although, I can see how it would be harder for mixed marriages. One person is always "home".

Emigrating is never easy. There are so many stresses that go with it and of course every person's experience will be different so it's really impossible to say what they are. For instance, in our case our kids really did not cope with the time change at all! We spent about 3 weeks trying to get everything done while dealing with kids who just could not physically adapt to the 11 hour time difference. Then my husband couldn't find work which was really soul destroying for him. And only 8 months after arriving he moved interstate leaving us living apart - which again the kids did not cope well with. Then 2 months later the kids and I moved to join him and it was me who couldn't find permanent work for a while. Any of those times would have seen us return or separate if only we had the money to do it.
Absolutely. No two immigrant family's stories are the same but testing relationships to the extreme does seem to be par for the course.
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 5:57 am
Just Joined

CherryUK is a splendid one to beholdCherryUK is a splendid one to beholdCherryUK is a splendid one to beholdCherryUK is a splendid one to beholdCherryUK is a splendid one to beholdCherryUK is a splendid one to beholdCherryUK is a splendid one to beholdCherryUK is a splendid one to beholdCherryUK is a splendid one to beholdCherryUK is a splendid one to beholdCherryUK is a splendid one to behold

I'm not worried about relationship breaking down. I have a wonderful husband and a very strong relationship. My husband isn't pressuring me to move to Oz. He loves it in uk as well and had his own reservations about moving back. But we have come to the decision its a better place to bring up our children.

My concern is over homesickness and missing my parents. Not my relationship which I know will survive.
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 6:23 am
Banned

I'm not worried about relationship breaking down. I have a wonderful husband and a very strong relationship. My husband isn't pressuring me to move to Oz. He loves it in uk as well and had his own reservations about moving back. But we have come to the decision its a better place to bring up our children.

My concern is over homesickness and missing my parents. Not my relationship which I know will survive.
I completely agree with that, moving here has been great for the kids. Our only regret is that we weren't able to do it a much earlier.

The very best of luck to you Cherry.
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 6:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't hang on the "better for the kids" thing. It'll be different but one first world country is much like any other and there will be swings and roundabouts. There's nothing magical about Australia for kids and you never know where they will end up (one of mine has found far better prospects in UK and has no intention of returning to Aus)

Just make sure your DH has his UK citizenship before you go because, if he doesn't, getting back into UK down the track could be nigh on impossible.
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 6:50 am
I'm on a Highway to Hell

Kris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to all

That unfortunately is not the worst that can happen. If the OP doesn't like living here but her Australian partner (father of their children) does she could find herself stuck in Australia until her children are 18 or make the difficult choice to go home without them. Courts will usually take into account a child's usual place of residence and where the other parent is when granting permission to take them to another country to live.

I can't think of her name ATM (it's only 6:50 am here on a Sunday morning) but there was a poster who springs to mind who was in pretty much that same situation. The marriage broke down, she wanted to go home with her child, father said he wanted to stay in Australia, father fought her request to move child back home, courts said child could not go back to UK. Mum was stuck in Australia where she didn't want to be so she could be with her child.

OP, think long and hard about whether this is something you really want to do.
My assumption was that they would be in it together and if she wanted to go back they would all go back, it was a general comment on outlook rather than pointing out every possibility that could go wrong or every worse case scenario which quite frankly doesn't help the situation.
We would be here all day if we pointed out every single possibility.
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 6:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I agree to be careful if the marriage is on shaky ground but surely the same applies with any family moving here?

To the OP: It's perfectly possible for your parents to continue that special relationship with your children, they just need to come over for the duration of summer holidays and other long periods from time to time and supplement it with Skype. In the UK my wife and I were pretty much alone extended family wise but until my mum passed away both my mum and dad used to stay with us for three months at a time once or twice a year. My dad still does that to this day and it's perfectly likely he'll continue to do so for the next 15 years or so. Emigrating needn't be as final and as disconnecting from extended family as it once was.
I'm intrigued - why is it that the leavers always expect their olds to spend their time and money coming to visit them? In my book, if you are the leaver it behoves you to spend your time and money going to visit them! My olds chose the 6/6 route once they hit 65 and that suited them for 15 years but not everyone has the wherewithal or the inclination to do that and it's getting harder to do.
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 6:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Kris_Rocks
My assumption was that they would be in it together and if she wanted to go back they would all go back, it was a general comment on outlook rather than pointing out every possibility that could go wrong or every worse case scenario which quite frankly doesn't help the situation.
We would be here all day if we pointed out every single possibility.
Unfortunately, changing goalposts is quite a common theme on here - we've seen quite a few sad ones over the years.
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 7:04 am
I'm on a Highway to Hell

Kris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to allKris_Rocks is a name known to all

I personally think life is too short, if you spend too much time looking too far ahead at every possible outcome or spend your time looking behind all the time at what ifs you miss out on the here and now.
Everyone is always too quick to point out the bad possibilities yeah it could go bad but it could also be the best thing they ever did? my viewpoint is you will never know unless you do it and all the time you spen worrying about it is wasted time.
That's not to say you shouldn't give the possibilities a thought but I think its best to not dwell on them too much because you don't and can't know how anything in life will pan out.
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 7:54 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Ah yes, a better place to bring up kids. Sorry but as Quoll said there is nothing that magically makes Australia 'better' for kids. Our kids have gone the other direction and arent missing out on anything and love it here. The assumption is right up there with a better work home balance.
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 8:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Kris_Rocks
I personally think life is too short, if you spend too much time looking too far ahead at every possible outcome or spend your time looking behind all the time at what ifs you miss out on the here and now.
Everyone is always too quick to point out the bad possibilities yeah it could go bad but it could also be the best thing they ever did? my viewpoint is you will never know unless you do it and all the time you spen worrying about it is wasted time.
That's not to say you shouldn't give the possibilities a thought but I think its best to not dwell on them too much because you don't and can't know how anything in life will pan out.
Couldn't agree more but forewarned is forearmed they say and it's never wise to burn bridges. No one is saying don't do it, just be aware of the gamble you are taking and weigh that in the balance. Some are prepared to take bigger risks than others (and I say that as quite a high risker) and some, unfortunately miscalculate and find their freedoms restricted and that's never a comfortable place to be!

My suggestion is always take a career break, don't sell the house, try and keep contact with schools then suck it and see. If you love it, fine and dandy but if it doesn't work then you've lost little and you can move on again.
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 10:30 am
Still alive

Originally Posted by chris955
Ah yes, a better place to bring up kids. Sorry but as Quoll said there is nothing that magically makes Australia 'better' for kids. Our kids have gone the other direction and arent missing out on anything and love it here. The assumption is right up there with a better work home balance.
As much as I hate doing it I have to agree with you there, Chris. Australia, while I am very happy here, is not perfect. It's not better than any other first world country for raising children. We still have all the same first world problems here that we had before moving. Actually, our situation is probably exacerebated by the fact we have no family support here.

As the saying goes, "same shit different bucket"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.