Visa question

Old Mar 7th 2014, 1:55 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa question

Originally Posted by E3only
Thanks. He is a citizen for sure.

I will get on it. I don't think so we stand a chance to get everything organized, posted to Australia, they respond, we get him passport AND hopefully wife gets RRV AND we get our long awaited vacation for April.
No I wouldn't think so either - shame you didn't start organising things before.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
No I wouldn't think so either - shame you didn't start organising things before.
Yeah, I never really thought it would be a deal breaker.

I mean, I knew I had to apply for citizenship that he was eligible but it didn't occur to me that that will stop him from travelling all together. That's where I am getting messed up.

So we can't just apply for his visa AND travel AND apply citizenship on the side? the fact that he is citizen means he can't apply for visa?
Old Mar 7th 2014, 2:17 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I never really thought it would be a deal breaker.

I mean, I knew I had to apply for citizenship that he was eligible but it didn't occur to me that that will stop him from travelling all together. That's where I am getting messed up.

So we can't just apply for his visa AND travel AND apply citizenship on the side? the fact that he is citizen means he can't apply for visa?
Yes - he can't have a visa - Visas are for non-citizens to enter a country
Old Mar 7th 2014, 2:41 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Ok. So if he is US citizen the only way to get a visa is renounce his right to australian citizenship ?
Old Mar 7th 2014, 2:59 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Ok. So if he is US citizen the only way to get a visa is renounce his right to australian citizenship ?
I guess so. Though I can't see why you would even consider it - and I'm almost certain that wouldn't be any quicker!
Old Mar 7th 2014, 3:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I guess so. Though I can't see why you would even consider it - and I'm almost certain that wouldn't be any quicker!
No way I would consider it. But seems odd that my son effectively is forced to have dual citizenship.

Not challenging the system but just little rant.

So how long do citizenship by decent applications take. Any word
Old Mar 7th 2014, 3:15 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

No way I would consider it. But seems odd that my son effectively is forced to have dual citizenship.

He is not forced to be a dual citizen and I assume you would be able to renounce on his behalf - though I really don't know, you would to look into that yourself.

BUT you need to consider the future, when your and your wife are Aussie citizens, but your son is a US citizen.
For instance, you and your wife grow old and retire in Aus, and your son wishes to move here to take care of you in your old age. But he can't, due to him not being in a job that qualifies for a visa, and he can therefore only visit Aus for short periods as a tourist.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 3:19 am

I think if you renounce your citizenship, you may then be able to revoke your sons - is that an option for you?
Old Mar 7th 2014, 3:35 am
BE Forum Addict

He is not forced to be a dual citizen and I assume you would be able to renounce on his behalf - though I really don't know, you would to look into that yourself.

BUT you need to consider the future, when your and your wife are Aussie citizens, but your son is a US citizen.
For instance, you and your wife grow old and retire in Aus, and your son wishes to move here to take care of you in your old age. But he can't, due to him not being in a job that qualifies for a visa, and he can therefore only visit Aus for short periods as a tourist.
I think if you renounce your citizenship, you may then be able to revoke your sons - is that an option for you?
That isn't an option. We are going to get him citizenship. In fact it's better we do because my wife's in limbo given she has been so sway from AU for so long so getting his may help her later.

The issue is I am surprised I can't get him there on a visa and simultaneously make an application for citizenship.

Extremely annoyed. This is the first time that the opportunity was right and we have finance to go and we can't.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 4:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Most people see dual citizenships as a blessing, not something "forced" upon a person. It is not a problem most people would mind having and the only reason it has created difficulties is because you haven't been very forward looking.

You say you have been planning this trip for a long time but have left it until a few weeks before looking into visas or citizenship! You really must know that it is not a process or the system that is wanting here...

Have no idea how long the process takes, but I wouldn't be planning a holiday in April.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 5:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Most people see dual citizenships as a blessing, not something "forced" upon a person. It is not a problem most people would mind having and the only reason it has created difficulties is because you haven't been very forward looking.

You say you have been planning this trip for a long time but have left it until a few weeks before looking into visas or citizenship! You really must know that it is not a process or the system that is wanting here...

Have no idea how long the process takes, but I wouldn't be planning a holiday in April.
Actually, I was annoyed at myself.

The vacation comment was a overall comment....this is first time time and finances allow us to take an overseas vacation since 3.5 years and the first place was to visit home and friends.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 5:17 am
Home and Happy

Actually, I was annoyed at myself.

The vacation comment was a overall comment....this is first time time and finances allow us to take an overseas vacation since 3.5 years and the first place was to visit home and friends.
Good luck with the planning , hope it works out in the end
Old Mar 7th 2014, 5:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Good luck with the planning , hope it works out in the end
Thanks,

OK one more question. Want to make sure I plan now and not waste further time.

I am thinking I will need to apply for my wife's citizenship (take a chance with ministerial pardon/discretion becuase she has been away from Australia for a while). I have no idea if she stands a chance but I am going to give it a shot.

I know certain things will help such as family, bank accounts, superannuation still in Australia etc.

Question is.
1. Any guidance on approach
2. More importantly, can I apply for her citizenship AND include my son on it OR do I have to apply for 2 seperate applications?

Thanks,
Old Mar 7th 2014, 6:18 am
Home and Happy

Thanks,

I am thinking I will need to apply for my wife's citizenship (take a chance with ministerial pardon/discretion becuase she has been away from Australia for a while). I have no idea if she stands a chance but I am going to give it a shot.

I know certain things will help such as family, bank accounts, superannuation still in Australia etc.

Question is.
2. More importantly, can I apply for her citizenship AND include my son on it OR do I have to apply for 2 seperate applications?

Thanks,
Its two separate applications.

Your son IS a citizen, you just need to register him and get him a passport.

Your wife needs to apply from scratch. But be aware, even IF they grant it on ministerial discretion it will take longer than a straight forward RRV application. AND she will then need to apply for and get an Aus passport before she can travel to Australia.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 6:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks,

Question is.

Thanks,
In all honesty, if you just want to have your holiday in April, I would focus upon the RRV and getting your son's passport. It seems to me like you could really do without this added complication. I am sure you would not get that sorted by your holiday.

And no, you would not get your wife and son citizenship on the same application. They have very different claims to citizenship.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.