Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Teaching in the US with UK PGCE? (Will have work/permit green card through marriage)

Teaching in the US with UK PGCE? (Will have work/permit green card through marriage)

Old Dec 3rd 2013, 6:59 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching in the US with UK PGCE? (Will have work/permit green card through marria

Getting a teaching job may be a moot issue if Boiler is correct, but may the odds be ever in your favor.
Originally Posted by edwardsimmons23
I would rather not disclose such information on here as yet. Is there a specific reason to your asking?
Just thought I'd ask to clarify that portion the description of the situation in the opening post, which also is not relevant to the topic. Since the OP brought it up on direct, I thought I'd question it on cross.
Originally Posted by Boiler
I assumed he was here on the VWP. Not that it is relevant to the topic.
Regards, JEff
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 7:07 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Teaching in the US with UK PGCE? (Will have work/permit green card through marria

He said he was going to adjust status so would need EAD to work, a timing issue.
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 7:41 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

He wrote a lot more than that.

Regards, JEff
Originally Posted by Boiler
He said he was going to adjust status so would need EAD to work, a timing issue.
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

edwardsimmons23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks fellas. I will be on an EAD as my adjustment of status is processing. Have married a US citizen so should (fingers crossed) have my green-card after that.
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 8:40 pm

"on an EAD"? Apologies for asking another off-topic question, but what does that mean?

If, by chance, the statement is in answer to my question about your immigration status, it doesn't answer the question. Having an EAD is not an immigration status.

Regards, JEff
I will be on an EAD as my adjustment of status is processing.
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 8:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Employment Authorisation, interim pending GC.
Old Dec 6th 2013, 9:23 am
Just Joined

Location: america currently in birmingham uk.......heading back to asheville nc 2014
steffunny has a brilliant futuresteffunny has a brilliant futuresteffunny has a brilliant futuresteffunny has a brilliant futuresteffunny has a brilliant futuresteffunny has a brilliant future

I'd be looking around the Asheville area...
I am from Asheville!!!!!!! living in Birmingham uk for the moment..........heading back home soon though...........I by no means am qualified to give advice to you on teaching but there are some great alternative schools in Asheville that might be right up your alley.........

http://rainbowcommunityschool.org/

http://www.evergreenccs.org/

http://odysseycommunity.org/

best of luck on your move and maybe we can meet up sometime when I get back........steff
Old Dec 8th 2013, 12:17 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by steffunny
I am from Asheville!!!!!!! living in Birmingham uk for the moment..........heading back home soon though...........I by no means am qualified to give advice to you on teaching but there are some great alternative schools in Asheville that might be right up your alley.........

http://rainbowcommunityschool.org/

http://www.evergreenccs.org/

http://odysseycommunity.org/

best of luck on your move and maybe we can meet up sometime when I get back........steff
Steffunny,

That is amazing! I looked up those schools recently just before you messaged & massively resonated with Rainbow & Odyssey! Feel very guided to them & yes indeed they are right up my alley! Yes I'm sure we'll cross tracks there. Do you teach there?

Thanks for the advice, enjoy Birmingham & do make
sure you get into the countryside in Staffordshire, Wales & Derbyshire (All just north of Birmingham) & if you plan travels further definitely head to The Lake District.
Old Dec 8th 2013, 7:18 am
Just Joined

Location: america currently in birmingham uk.......heading back to asheville nc 2014
steffunny has a brilliant futuresteffunny has a brilliant futuresteffunny has a brilliant futuresteffunny has a brilliant futuresteffunny has a brilliant futuresteffunny has a brilliant future

Steffunny,

That is amazing! I looked up those schools recently just before you messaged & massively resonated with Rainbow & Odyssey! Feel very guided to them & yes indeed they are right up my alley! Yes I'm sure we'll cross tracks there. Do you teach there?

Thanks for the advice, enjoy Birmingham & do make
sure you get into the countryside in Staffordshire, Wales & Derbyshire (All just north of Birmingham) & if you plan travels further definitely head to The Lake District.
oh no I don't teach as in a school.........I am a master body piercer/very parttime tattoo artist back home..........also do work with the mental/physically disabled.....here im just domesticated.....not driving etc so im just honestly taking a long needed break from work.........fantastic about the schools.........kinda says to me that the universe is maybe guiding you to them...........one of my best friends is a teacher at evergreen and loves it there.........so pm about your wife........name/where she works etc........wouldn't it be something if she and I knew each other............when are you moving to Asheville.........ill be back over there around summertime.............ive been to all those suggested places........we do get out and about quite a bit.........Birmingham is not not not for me.........im a born and raised ole southern country gal...........big cities do me in.........lol.........ive never ever lived in a place as big as Birmingham........its so nice to know that the world is still a very small place...........lets keep in touch!!

[email protected]
Old Apr 21st 2014, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

edu_mere is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi edwardsimmons- I was wondering if you have been able to find any solid answers to your licensing issue? I am in a similar situation (PGCE without QTS, now living in US and want to get licensed) so any info you might have would be very helpful.
Old Apr 21st 2014, 8:26 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by edu_mere
Hi edwardsimmons- I was wondering if you have been able to find any solid answers to your licensing issue? I am in a similar situation (PGCE without QTS, now living in US and want to get licensed) so any info you might have would be very helpful.
He hasn't posted to BE since five days after his last post on this thread. After more than four months you'll be lucky to get a reply.
Old Apr 21st 2014, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Pulaski.
Old Apr 21st 2014, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

Seems like you're in luck! I haven't replied to anything because I haven't had anything to reply to! I wish I could help more but I got a job at a private school, ofcourse showing them I had a PGCE helped & I could show I was trained in teaching & had experience so that was great.

Because I'm going to be working at a private school I haven't had to do any of the grade transfers or anything.I've just received my EAD as I wait to hear back about my application for permanent residence (I am married to a US Citizen) My advice would be to look for jobs at private schools (you shouldn't need to get your PGCE transferred/translated or anything) & then research transferral of PGCE. I think it's a different process depending on state. If in the near future I do go through the process I will post my experience in this thread.

Sorry I couldn't help more
Old Apr 21st 2014, 9:35 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your fast response! I also taught at a private school here (in California) but now that I'm living in a different state (Illinois) the options are more limited, so I need to get licensed. Trying to get detailed info over the phone here has been challenging so far. But if I do make any progress I'll also update this thread.
Old Apr 21st 2014, 10:39 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your fast response! I also taught at a private school here (in California) but now that I'm living in a different state (Illinois) the options are more limited, so I need to get licensed. Trying to get detailed info over the phone here has been challenging so far. But if I do make any progress I'll also update this thread.
I just did a quick google, you may have already found this.

page 83 and 84 may be of help
http://www.isbe.net/profprep/PDFs/directory.pdf

The "One course in ESL/bilingual methods" might be a stumbling block that will require some further study?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.