Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Teaching in the US with UK PGCE? (Will have work/permit green card through marriage)

Teaching in the US with UK PGCE? (Will have work/permit green card through marriage)

Old Dec 2nd 2013, 5:35 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching in the US with UK PGCE? (Will have work/permit green card through marria

Originally Posted by Noorah101
A green card is proof of US Permanent Resident status, which one obtains after the adjustment of status is approved.
And also serves as a 'work permit'
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 5:40 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching in the US with UK PGCE? (Will have work/permit green card through marria

Originally Posted by civilservant
Yes, once a person has the green card in hand, they are work authorized and no longer need an EAD.

I'm just saying a work permit and a green card are not the same thing.

Rene
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 2:51 am
Just Joined

edwardsimmons23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for replying everyone.

* Thanks for the comments on work permits but I should've stressed that I am aware that the EAD is just a temporary work permit until I get granted residency & my green card.

*My main question was whether my Post Graduate Certificate in Education bears any weight out here. I'd be fully qualified to teach in England, but would just have to be assessed for my first year in what is known as my NQT (Newly Qualified Teacher) year.

*It's all a bit confusing, but I assume that my best bet is to contact the credentials people to find out what I would have to do to get a state license, & whether my degrees and teaching experience could be transferred & contribute to that... I'd be happy to do a few exams but really don't want to pay for ANOTHER teaching degree when I just recently did my PGCE (With no funding) ...

* Does anyone have any advice on TEACH-AMERICA? I've heard that it is a good route to take. If you do these are the questions I'd have about it:

1. Does it cost to do the course? Or do they simply sponsor you...
2. I know it's for people from the US, but would I be considered if I had residency & not citizenship?
3. Is it true that TeachAmerica only places you in Struggling urban schools?

Any continued advice on people who have been in a similar situation or know anything about Teach America would be much appreciated...
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 2:54 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Everything everyone said above. ..... Plus the good news is that you might find it easier to find work as a teacher in NC than most other states. ...... The bad news is that that is because NC has the lowest pay rates for teachers in the United States!

Whereabouts in NC will you be looking for work?
I'd be looking around the Asheville area...
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 3:02 am
Forum Regular

Cadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by edwardsimmons23
*My main question was whether my Post Graduate Certificate in Education bears any weight out here. I'd be fully qualified to teach in England, but would just have to be assessed for my first year in what is known as my NQT (Newly Qualified Teacher) year.

*It's all a bit confusing, but I assume that my best bet is to contact the credentials people to find out what I would have to do to get a state license, & whether my degrees and teaching experience could be transferred & contribute to that... I'd be happy to do a few exams but really don't want to pay for ANOTHER teaching degree when I just recently did my PGCE (With no funding)
No, your PGCE does not hold any weight here. You need to go through credentialing to have your qualification recognised. I outlined the steps for you in an earlier post - I checked online, the process seems to be the same.
I doubt that you will be required to repeat the teacher training year, but to be sure you would have to check with your state credentialing board.

I don't know anything about Teach America.
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 3:09 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for replying everyone.

* Thanks for the comments on work permits but I should've stressed that I am aware that the EAD is just a temporary work permit until I get granted residency & my green card.

*It's all a bit confusing, but I assume that my best bet is to contact the credentials people to find out what I would have to do to get a state license, & whether my degrees and teaching experience could be transferred & contribute to that... I'd be happy to do a few exams but really don't want to pay for ANOTHER teaching degree when I just recently did my PGCE (With no funding) ...

* Does anyone have any advice on TEACH-AMERICA? I've heard that it is a good route to take. If you do these are the questions I'd have about it:

1. Does it cost to do the course? Or do they simply sponsor you...
2. I know it's for people from the US, but would I be considered if I had residency & not citizenship?
3. Is it true that TeachAmerica only places you in Struggling urban schools?

Any continued advice on people who have been in a similar situation or know anything about Teach America would be much appreciated...
To the best of my memory, no fees they pay you. Residents are OK, some similar systems do require citizenship due to requirements of funders, but not teach-America. It all seems to be struggling urban school orientated.
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 3:14 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Washington state recognized my PGCE, similar experience to Cafenza for getting certification. Docs sent for evaluation. Evaluation and docs sent for certification. Have to do exam in math, reading and writing and subject area. I think secondary qualified allows for American middle school teaching.

Exams were all straight forward. I'm working as a para this year, hopefully teaching job next year.
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

Cadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,
You need to consider the expiration on your Newly Qualified Teacher status, whilst you are an NQT, having completed your teacher training, you are not fully qualified holding QTS (Qualified Teacher Status) until you successfully complete that NQT year. The UK DfES (probably called something else these days) gives you 5 years to do it, after that, you lose your NQT status.
I think it is worth ensuring that you don't lose your status in the UK and t is possible to do this outside the UK, I mentored an NQT in an international school by linking with a teacher training university & the DfES. When you get yourself a school & you're settled, it's worth talking to them and get them to help you fill the requirements.
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 4:14 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Teaching in the US with UK PGCE? (Will have work/permit green card through marria

Originally Posted by Cadenza-93
Hi,
You need to consider the expiration on your Newly Qualified Teacher status, whilst you are an NQT, having completed your teacher training, you are not fully qualified holding QTS (Qualified Teacher Status) until you successfully complete that NQT year. The UK DfES (probably called something else these days) gives you 5 years to do it, after that, you lose your NQT status.
I think it is worth ensuring that you don't lose your status in the UK and t is possible to do this outside the UK, I mentored an NQT in an international school by linking with a teacher training university & the DfES. When you get yourself a school & you're settled, it's worth talking to them and get them to help you fill the requirements.

Thank you so much to you & everyone who has given their advice... Really really appreciate it. I'm new to this website but is there anyway you could private message me your email address so I could possibly contact you in the future if I have any questions? No worries if not. Thanks again!
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 4:45 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Which does not make them "one and the same thing", because an EAD most definitely does not also serve as a green card.

Regards, JEff
Originally Posted by civilservant
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 4:49 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

What visa did you get? Or, to put it another way, what is your current immigration status?

Just curious.

Regards, JEff
I have just married a US citizen and am in the process of applying for residency, ....

My wife is expecting, so I had to move over here so she could be around her family & I could be with her throughout the pregnancy ...
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 5:06 pm
Just Joined

I would rather not disclose such information on here as yet. Is there a specific reason to your asking?
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 5:07 pm
Just Joined

I'd rather not disclose such information on here as yet. Is there reason to yOur asking?
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 5:10 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cadenza-93
No, your PGCE does not hold any weight here. You need to go through credentialing to have your qualification recognised. I outlined the steps for you in an earlier post - I checked online, the process seems to be the same.
Yeah, I have a PGCE and a Master's degree and it doesn't mean squat in Texas as far as teaching in schools. I CAN teach at a Community College though but that's becasue of the Master's not the PGCE.

But, it seems that every state is different. Why not call the HR Dept of a school district in N Carolina and ask?
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 5:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
What visa did you get? Or, to put it another way, what is your current immigration status?

Just curious.

Regards, JEff
I assumed he was here on the VWP. Not that it is relevant to the topic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.