Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Do the Spanish Hate the British.

Do the Spanish Hate the British.

Old Mar 18th 2009, 2:35 pm
Banned

livit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nice
Default Re: Do the Spanish Hate the British.

Originally Posted by Raffer
How long do you need to live and work in spain before claiming nationality its 5 years isnt it

I believe its 10 yrs.

The Guardia is badly paid and military in structure, wouldn`t recommend an immigrant to enter their world.

Policia National is your best chance.

Policia Local is made of friends & family of officials, you need friends too get in.

You also need to pass your Oposiciones exam`s, its a long difficult prosses for a Spaniard, there are few foreigners who get a chance.

You as a foreigner would also need at least a degree in Spanish language before they`ll consider your language skills acceptable in a public office role.

Even if you passed the exams, the waiting list for a job is very long.

As public jobs guarantee a good wage for life with good benefits, not many people leave them, so opportunities are slim, especially in Police,Fire.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by livit
I believe its 10 yrs.

The Guardia is badly paid and military in structure, wouldn`t recommend an immigrant to enter their world.

Policia Local is made of friends & family of officials, you need friends too get in.

You also need to pass your Oposiciones exam`s, its a long difficult prosses for a Spaniard, there are few foreigners who get a chance.

You as a foreigner would also need at least a degree in Spanish language before they`ll consider your language skills acceptable in a public office role.

As public jobs guarantee a good wage for life with good benefits, not many people leave them, so opportunities are slim, especially in Police,Fire.
Yes, it is 10 years (unless something has changed since I last looked). 5 years if you are a refugee, ha!

There are a few short cuts though. If you marry a Spaniard I think you only have to wait one year.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 5:36 pm
Just Joined

Raffer is an unknown quantity at this point

i think marrying a spanish girl looks best option then, i have heard about the exams and heard about the difficulty after passing. however i want to give myself every possible opportunity i speak fluent spanish and good catalan, i hope to become fluent in catalan and learn euskerra or basque as people may know it as, however i didnt know it was important to have a degree in the language
Old Mar 18th 2009, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

i think marrying a spanish girl looks best option then, i have heard about the exams and heard about the difficulty after passing. however i want to give myself every possible opportunity i speak fluent spanish and good catalan, i hope to become fluent in catalan and learn euskerra or basque as people may know it as, however i didnt know it was important to have a degree in the language
I'm not sure that it is important to have a degree in the language.....how would you sit this degree? where? You don't live in the UK.
I think you just have to be able to conduct yourself well in the interview and demonstrate your level of understanding and integration into society.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 6:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

marisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerezgirl
I'm not sure that it is important to have a degree in the language.....how would you sit this degree? where? You don't live in the UK.
I think you just have to be able to conduct yourself well in the interview and demonstrate your level of understanding and integration into society.
If you want to work in Cataluña you have to know catalan. It doesnt matter if you dont speak castellano if you know how to speak catalan .
Old Mar 18th 2009, 6:37 pm
Banned

livit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nice

i speak fluent spanish and good catalan, i hope to become fluent in catalan and learn euskerra or basque as people may know it as, however i didnt know it was important to have a degree in the language
Sorry too sound negative.

The degree is necessary to gain an interview, you have to look good and stand out from the thousands of applications.

Being an immigrant puts you at the bottom of a large pile.

You may want to try translation work for the govt first, that will get you into the police station and able to gain some contacts.

Many Spanish gradates and college leavers speak English now, so there isn`t the need too employ foreigners anymore.

Euskerra is nearly impossible to learn, many Basque`s who didn`t learn in school have spent many many hours in remote hostels run by the basque govt and totally isolated from spanish language trying to grasp even basic communication.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sorry too sound negative.

The degree is necessary to gain an interview, you have to look good and stand out from the thousands of applications.

could you elaborate a bit more about this degree? It is the first time I have read that you need one to become naturalised.

Which examining boards are recognised? Does it have to be homolgado? Where did you read about it?

Many immigrants would have a level of Spanish far superior to that required for a degree, but don't have the piece of paper to prove it.

I for one would not be able to return to the Uk to sit a degree in Spanish, and in any case if I did it would nullify my application for naturalisation as you must be resident in Spain for 10 consecutive years IMMEDIATELY prior to the application.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 6:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

marisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond repute

could you elaborate a bit more about this degree? It is the first time I have read that you need one to become naturalised.

Which examining boards are recognised? Does it have to be homolgado? Where did you read about it?

Many immigrants would have a level of Spanish far superior to that required for a degree, but don't have the piece of paper to prove it.

I for one would not be able to return to the Uk to sit a degree in Spanish, and in any case if I did it would nullify my application for naturalisation as you must be resident in Spain for 10 consecutive years IMMEDIATELY prior to the application.
really, belive me, if you want to work in Cataluña you have to speak catalan.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by marisol
Marisol, I think we have crossed wires. It is another poster who wants to live/work in Cataluña.

I live in Jerez and already speak Spanish. I don't have UK degree in Spanish though. I will be applying for Spanish nationality in the not too distant future and my question is about whether a degree is necessary or not as part of the application process. I read that it is not, but Livit has heard otherwise.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 7:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Marisol, I think we have crossed wires. It is another poster who wants to live/work in Cataluña.

I live in Jerez and already speak Spanish. I don't have UK degree in Spanish though. I will be applying for Spanish nationality in the not too distant future and my question is about whether a degree is necessary or not as part of the application process. I read that it is not, but Livit has heard otherwise.
sorry am i in time to delete it? always the same
Old Mar 18th 2009, 7:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

I can talk about what happen in the company i work for. There are a some people working there that the most important they do is speaking English. They have born in the usa or have studied there. Nobody asked them if they had degree in Spanish, if you talk to someone you can know if they can speak this language. Even, there are few people that speak very little Spanish.
But as i said, it happens in my Company, i work for the international department of a company. Maybe in other place things are different.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

Raffer is an unknown quantity at this point

i think he was refering to me working in catalonia when i said about working for mosses d'esquadra well i already speak a good amount of catalan and havent been learning to long believe me my barca mates were well impressed and said that i should stand at job interviews. I know euskerra is hard but thats the challenge im not after speaking fluent just understanding and speaking to a good level to help me with my career in spain, i already know a few words but dont wont to stop there Gero Arte
Old Mar 19th 2009, 1:52 am

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

Atenció Vessaments passadís nombre tres.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 3:50 am
Welsh Ambassador to Spain

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute

I believe its 10 yrs.

Tosh!!! Utter tosh!!

Degree???????? Who've you been listening to????

I'd love to meet a member of the Policia Nacional with a degree!!!!!!!!!!!
There are also places opening up all the time around the country - just pick up the jobs section on any given Sunday to see the number of public courses available. There is an advert at the moment in my town(and I assume it is going out across the region) for 2100+ public office places up for grabs, among them in the police. (Edit - 2100 jobs in the region not just the town)

As for the 10 years rule - didn't that change quite some time ago?????? For EU citizens it is much less and the 10 year rule is only for non EU people????

Last edited by Fortaleza; Mar 19th 2009 at 3:53 am.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 3:51 am
Welsh Ambassador to Spain

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to work on PUBLIC service, yes. But I managed two years there without a single word

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.