Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Do the Spanish Hate the British.

Do the Spanish Hate the British.

Old Mar 12th 2009, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Do the Spanish Hate the British.

Originally Posted by Squig
Think it depends on your job. I am often in and out of Hacienda/social seguridad/Notary/guardia translating and they ALWAYS want to see you original passport and silly green residencia certificate, infact I can't translate officially at the notary unless I have these original documents. Thats fine but my green certificate has died a hideous and painful death and they wouldn't accept it at the notary last time as its been taped up so many times. Poor thing I actually feel sorry for it. My parents have theirs laminated but its not very practical if you having to take it lots of places on a regular basis.

I also have a friend whos husband works for the Guardia Civil, and they say that they can fine you for not carrying a valid form of photo identification which is not your driving license. It must be ID card, or passport and if you carry a Spanish driving license you should also carry your residency certificate too. Most Guardia are understanding though, and only tell you to present it at their offices within a certain time frame, but then thats still a inconvenience if you work full time and have young kids

Sorry seems as if I have made this thread go off on a bit of a tangent from what the OP originally asked.
I had my green certificate compulsado at the comisaria and carry that version around with me. My green certificate remains in pristine condition at home, whereas the compulsado version deteriorates on a daily basis.

I don't know if getting it compulsado was a worthwhile exercise or not......on the one hand it will cost nothing to get a new one compulsado each time the old one is too dire to be used any more, but I don't think getting a duplicate green original exactly breaks the bank either.

I WANT MY CARD BACK
Old Mar 13th 2009, 2:52 pm
Banned

livit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nice

Originally Posted by Fortaleza
Are we living in two different Spains? None of the above has ever happened to me and with my job I'm often travelling the country staying in different places. No problems like anything near what you are suggesting!!!
One thing thats true of Spain.

Rules differ from office to office, never mind region to region.

Expat sites are a testament to how true this is, if Spain was so straight forward there wouldn`t`t be so many confused guiri`s.

Last edited by livit; Mar 13th 2009 at 2:54 pm.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

marisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond repute

i'm spaniard and i dont hate the British but i hate the behavior of some British, Spaniards, Portuguese, italian, .....

Last edited by marisol; Mar 13th 2009 at 3:28 pm.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 3:31 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

In our village we don't have any problems with the Spanish. My OH sits outside playing his guitar/banjo/saxophone and the villagers enjoy the music and say so Where in the UK could you do that and not get a complaint about noise.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lionda
My OH sits outside playing his guitar/banjo/saxophone and the villagers enjoy the music and say so Where in the UK could you do that and not get a complaint about noise.
Answer: almost any english village, just like in spanish villages. Provided of course that it's done at reasonable times, isn't too loud and that he can actually play
The problem is that most people I've come across on forums live in large british cities, not villages. They don't realise that villages in the UK are just as quiet, peaceful, crime-free and friendly as villages anywhere else!
Now if he can play all three at the same time, I'd pay to see that
Old Mar 13th 2009, 5:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: In a place where Mimi Greensleeves, Dodgy Debsy and that there Lionda wont find me.
genegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Do the Spanish Hate the British.

Originally Posted by Lionda
In our village we don't have any problems with the Spanish. My OH sits outside playing his guitar/banjo/saxophone and the villagers enjoy the music and say so Where in the UK could you do that and not get a complaint about noise.
There are lots of places, its the weather that's the problem here,
Old Mar 13th 2009, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

Squig is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pete_l
Answer: almost any english village, just like in spanish villages. Provided of course that it's done at reasonable times, isn't too loud and that he can actually play
The problem is that most people I've come across on forums live in large british cities, not villages. They don't realise that villages in the UK are just as quiet, peaceful, crime-free and friendly as villages anywhere else!
Now if he can play all three at the same time, I'd pay to see that
I think thats a big thing...peoples perspectives based on their experiences. I lived on a South East London Council estate. My next door neighbour dealt drugs and his customers would shoot up outside our door as well as many other disgusting/terrifying things, someone got stabbed in our parking lot and I had to clean the blood off my car, the gang crime was so scary... so when people complain about Torrevieja and its terrible crime rate... To me the crime isn't that bad. But to someone from a tiny villiage in the north of Scotland would probably find it horrific. But my perspective is tainted by my experience. I suppose that those of us that come across Spaniards who seem to hold a grudge against the English, its probably more to do with the fact that their experience of the English has been a negative one which in turn has tainted their perspective. There are bad eggs in every group.
Old Mar 14th 2009, 2:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Hondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by poshnbucks
I have lived in Catalonia for just over three years a life which I enjoy very much and would never return to the UK even in these grey times. I have never had a problem with any of the local people, Police or Town hall and when I have been with paperwork to Tarragona which is a big city,The people I have dealt with have been kind. However looking though the unemployment problems of Spain I came across this article below which smacks of real problems between the UK and Spain if one reads the article and the 20 or so comments from readers. I wondered if members of this forum outside of Benidorm had suffered any prejudice

http://www.costa-news.com/index.php?...162&Itemid=120
This is a ridiculous question and an incitment to hatred, of course Spanish people do not hate all British people infact most of them love British people .Do you love all British people (of course you don't]The Spanish only hate tosspots who come over on holiday get P***** up and cause chaos and damage their property or people (I imagine you are not one of them or you would not have asked the Question)I have been travelling to or living in Spain for 25 years and never felt hated by them they are one of the most tolerant people I know but because a lot of the people I mentioned above descend on their land in summer and cause allsorts of grief to them it becomes easier and easier to form an opinion about the( scum )from the UK so eventually hate the British they are well within their rights ,I know hundreds of them and they wont do that but they will keep their distance ,Don't mean they hate Brits though, unfortunatley Brits think they are so much better than everyone else and (have a good look at yourself) they cannot live with the put down ,Look how they dress in Spain do they try to speak their language do they respect their traditions I have seen it all ,why would they want to begin to like the British .I am sorry to say but all Brits think the whole world should revoleve around them people around the world are getting sense fast ,When in Spain speak the Language (as best you can )Respect the people and enjoy their excellent hospitality and they will love you,in a word dont b a stupid b in Spain.
Old Mar 14th 2009, 8:34 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

So, you aren't British then?
Old Mar 14th 2009, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Hondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jackytoo
So, you aren't British then?
Oficially no I am not (born in Ireland )but I have spent all my adult life in Britain have a British wife and Children and most of my friends are British (they also agree with me on Brits abroad) Of course everyone is entitled to do as they please(within reason) but the point is "do the Spanish hate us " I am afraid they have different traditions and beliefs than us Brits so if we go to their country act like complete a******s in their minds(most of us dont) we dont exactly endear ourselves to them but if you are a normal everyday person they like you as much as the next person ,do we like people coming into Britain and giving us grief ?I dont think so (although somtimes I am not sure ,we get enough of it ) You obviously will encounter the odd Spaniard who simply dont like the British and will let you know so but they are few and far between .Twenty years ago they probably were envious of us and maybe looked like they hated us because of our apparent affluence when they mostly had nothing but times have changed and they have no need to envy most of us nowadays .I think they still like us !I used the word scum before ,that was only directed at the scum and not British people in general apologies if I offended anyone.
Old Mar 14th 2009, 10:29 am
Banned

livit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nice

Originally Posted by genegenie
There are lots of places, its the weather that's the problem here,
Why ?

Having lived most of my life in hot climates, I luv the UK weather.

Maybe more to do with attitude than we think.

Change always seem`s better from a distance, I thought i`d hate autumn/spring.

Now I enjoy it.

And if you`ve every travelled to Galicia, they play there instruments outside, under an umbrella.
Old Mar 14th 2009, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

bazak will become famous soon enoughbazak will become famous soon enough

Hondon, your comments have hit the nail on the head.
We have a minority that seem to think it's ok to visit other beautiful countries ( in particular Spain ) and abuse everyone and everything.
But, i have been to Benidorm three times and Magaluf, and on all four holidays, i have NEVER seen any trouble. in fact that is the one thing that my partner and i always comment on to other people. Obviously we know it happens, but have just never encountered it ( thankfully ).

I dont understand the reason why it happens, other than an abuse of alcohol, but thats no excuse.
I find the majority of Spanish people to be polite, friendly and warm, and they do not deserve for their property to be destroyed or vandalised.

As you say, we are English, and even we dont get on with some of our nationality, so it's no wonder other nationalities have the same problem.

All they will do in the end is spoil it for the good natured brits going on a holiday, and give us all a bad name. ( if football hasn't already done that enough !!! ).
Old Mar 14th 2009, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

jdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to all

Going back to the orignal thread of Spanish hating British and not renewing ´gambling' licenses. Isn't it just that the government is clamping down on corruption and no longer turning a blind eye to the odd bit of gamling etc., especially in the Costa de Sol. And, it has nothing to do with racism! Maybe, it is that the local councils are under more scrutiny than ever especially if the local council is PP. Just a thought.
Old Mar 14th 2009, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

bazak will become famous soon enoughbazak will become famous soon enough

I would imagine that most governments around the globe are clamping down on unofficial gambling, because they are not able to tax it when they know nothing about it.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

Raffer is an unknown quantity at this point

i also want to change my nationality for different reasons i want to work as police officer in either local, guardia or mosses (catalonia) and you need to be a spanish national so along with other benefits this would be beneficial for me. How long do you need to live and work in spain before claiming nationality its 5 years isnt it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.