Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Texas Driving Test (Houston) Does anyone know if you can turn up and take both..

Texas Driving Test (Houston) Does anyone know if you can turn up and take both..

Old May 11th 2010, 4:40 pm
Goooner!

Pipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to all
Default Texas Driving Test (Houston) Does anyone know if you can turn up and take both..

Can you turn up and take both the written test (and if you pass) take the driving test the same day, is that normal or do you have to come back to take the driving test?

Thanks
Old May 11th 2010, 4:50 pm
Goooner!

Pipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to all
Default Re: Texas Driving Test (Houston) Does anyone know if you can turn up and take both..

oh . and catch 22... my wife's insurance broker told me he needs to have my driver's license number to put me on her insurance... but I don't have a driver's license because I am waiting to take my test - all I have is my UK license which the broker says he can't put in the system.

Anyone else have this problem?
Old May 11th 2010, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

lofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to all
Default Re: Texas Driving Test (Houston) Does anyone know if you can turn up and take both..

Originally Posted by Pipmeister
Can you turn up and take both the written test (and if you pass) take the driving test the same day, is that normal or do you have to come back to take the driving test?

Thanks
I did mine in Fort Worth on separate occasions.

If I remember correctly, you have to take the written test first - then at my local DPS office the only way of doing the practical test was to call or line up at the door at 9am to make an appointment for it, therefore making it impossible to do both parts on the same day.

This was a couple of years ago so things may have changed since.
Old May 11th 2010, 5:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

oh . and catch 22... my wife's insurance broker told me he needs to have my driver's license number to put me on her insurance... but I don't have a driver's license because I am waiting to take my test - all I have is my UK license which the broker says he can't put in the system.

Anyone else have this problem?
Without knowing the full terms of your wife's insurance policy, I would guess you are nominally covered without being named on the policy as you are driving the car with her permission. Most policies have a term that allows anyone to drive the car with the owner's permission.

Once you have your license call up your broker and they will then be able to enter your number. Our policy didn't change (State Farm) though don't be surprised if there is a little premium hike as you are technically an inexperienced driver.
Old May 11th 2010, 5:20 pm
Goooner!

Do you need to show proof of insurance for the written test or just when you take the driving test?

My wife's broker has now told me he can put in a dummy drivers license number to get me my proof of insurance and will then need my actual temporary license number with 48 hours!

Haa.... how do parents put their kids on their insurance... oh wait, I am guessing a US provisional learners permit uses the same number of characters are a real license.

How does anyone from the UK cope with this BS?
Old May 11th 2010, 5:22 pm
Goooner!

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Without knowing the full terms of your wife's insurance policy, I would guess you are nominally covered without being named on the policy as you are driving the car with her permission. Most policies have a term that allows anyone to drive the car with the owner's permission.

Once you have your license call up your broker and they will then be able to enter your number. Our policy didn't change (State Farm) though don't be surprised if there is a little premium hike as you are technically an inexperienced driver.
I am not a named driver on my wife's policy but she is covered, like you say for 3rd party cover for me driving with persmission. Is this good enough for the DMV to take my test - I have tried call them 5 times since yesterday and no one answers the phone or it is continually engaged signal! Pbbt!
Old May 11th 2010, 5:26 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

I am not a named driver on my wife's policy but she is covered, like you say for 3rd party cover for me driving with persmission. Is this good enough for the DMV to take my test - I have tried call them 5 times since yesterday and no one answers the phone or it is continually engaged signal! Pbbt!
You don't have to be named specifically on the policy.
Old May 11th 2010, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

lofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Leslie66
You don't have to be named specifically on the policy.
Exactly. It all seems a bit wishy-washy to me, but when I did my test I used my wifes car and her insurance - I was not named on the policy. The State Trooper who I did my test with didn't think anything wrong with this. I guess as long as the car's covered then that's all they care about.
Old May 11th 2010, 6:22 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lofty79
Exactly. It all seems a bit wishy-washy to me, but when I did my test I used my wifes car and her insurance - I was not named on the policy. The State Trooper who I did my test with didn't think anything wrong with this. I guess as long as the car's covered then that's all they care about.
It's all pretty straight forward ... it's people (both the DMV and the public) that want to complicate things.

I hesitate to answer because last time (I tried to give some pretty straightforward information about renting a house) some guy flipped his wig and chaos ensued. However ...

To the OP:

Stop calling the DMV, they can (and will) tell you anything just to get you off the phone. I'm sorry to have to tell you that but it's best that you find out now. Go to the website for information. It will not be very helpful but at least it won't lie to you.

Due to the lack of uniformity in state and local offices, there is no way to answer whether you'll get to take both tests on the same day. Some DMV offices do them the same day and some don't. If you call to ask if yours specifically does or doesn't - there is a good chance you will be lied to just to get you off the phone.

1. You don't have to be named on the insurance policy.
2. Take with you whatever documentation you have to prove your legal status in the US - you may or may not need it.
3. Don't volunteer anything. It will just confuse things. Wait until you are asked and then produce documentation accordingly.
4. Get there early and take your written test. If you pass, ask if you can take the driving test.

This is how it has to be. Resistance is futile.

Last edited by Leslie; May 11th 2010 at 6:48 pm.
Old May 11th 2010, 6:37 pm
Goooner!

LOL - Thanks! :-)
Old May 11th 2010, 6:49 pm
WTF?

LOL - Thanks! :-)
My pleasure
Old May 11th 2010, 7:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
It's all pretty straight forward ... it's people (both the DMV and the public) that want to complicate things.

I hesitate to answer because last time (I tried to give some pretty straightforward information about renting a house) some guy flipped his wig and chaos ensued. However ...

To the OP:

Stop calling the DMV, they can (and will) tell you anything just to get you off the phone. I'm sorry to have to tell you that but it's best that you find out now. Go to the website for information. It will not be very helpful but at least it won't lie to you.

Due to the lack of uniformity in state and local offices, there is no way to answer whether you'll get to take both tests on the same day. Some DMV offices do them the same day and some don't. If you call to ask if yours specifically does or doesn't - there is a good chance you will be lied to just to get you off the phone.

1. You don't have to be named on the insurance policy.
2. Take with you whatever documentation you have to prove your legal status in the US - you may or may not need it.
3. Don't volunteer anything. It will just confuse things. Wait until you are asked and then produce documentation accordingly.
4. Get there early and take your written test. If you pass, ask if you can take the driving test.

This is how it has to be. Resistance is futile.

I love you so much when you are so assertive

(everything you said is so right, it should be a sticky opn here)
Old May 11th 2010, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

lonestargirl is an unknown quantity at this point

The office I did my test in (Gessner) does not give out appointments for the practical test. They hand out appointment slips at about 7.30 - 8am, I queued from 6.50 one day and didn't get one then went back the next day at 6.20 and got a test for 9am that day. I hung around til 9, drove round to the practical test bit of the building, they got to me at about 10.30 and 10 mins later I'd passed the test.

We had insurance with Progressive no problem on our Irish licences, Texas have changed the rules you have 90 days from becoming a resident to get a licence.
Old May 11th 2010, 8:22 pm
WTF?

I forgot ...

5. Prepare to be treated like shit. They hate your guts and they haven't even met you so don't take it personally.
Old May 11th 2010, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Another important point - they may try to get you to register to vote. If you're not a US Citizen, DO NOT LET THEM REGISTER YOU!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.