Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Financial Aid & FAFSA but no Social Security No.

Financial Aid & FAFSA but no Social Security No.

Old Feb 2nd 2010, 3:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Financial Aid & FAFSA but no Social Security No.

Originally Posted by md95065
No, it is discriminatory - even American English has not yet moved so far that "discriminatory" has completely lost its original meaning of "making distinctions" - which is what we are talking about here - distinctions made based on what most people think are reasonable and objective criteria.

So, yes, it is discriminatory, but "discriminatory" is not always synonymous with "biased" or "prejudiced" ...
Semantics.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 3:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by boltonja1
Fair point, but the unis here go on about wanting to open doors to students with a diverse background, about it being a way of improving the dynamics etc. etc. and about not discriminating on the basis of nationality and then shut doors to aid. There, I've said my piece. Guess, we're too used to the open access UK system!
Look at aid that the university might offer and scholarships, especially if they have a diversity program, they always offer cash to the Irish around my way it seems, so worth asking about even if it comes to nothing.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 3:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
... Also would be interesting to know what, if any, financial aid is available in the UK to children of parents there on temporary visas.
Anyone on an asylum application gets fees paid for...but I don't begrudge anyone with a genuine case for applying for asylum.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 5:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
Anyone on an asylum application gets fees paid for...but I don't begrudge anyone with a genuine case for applying for asylum.
That would be novelty.
Old Feb 27th 2010, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

boltonja1 is just really niceboltonja1 is just really niceboltonja1 is just really niceboltonja1 is just really niceboltonja1 is just really niceboltonja1 is just really niceboltonja1 is just really niceboltonja1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by md95065
Actually UK universities charge pretty hefty fees (although admittedly not as much as US universities) to foreign students.
Okay but students that live in the EU qualify for the lower rate and even the fees charged to those outside the EU are less than most US universities charge to thie own citizens. USC (admittedly private) quoted us $52,000 p.a including board and said that despite living here for 2 years, our daughter would be treated as an international student for which very little aid would be available.
Old Feb 27th 2010, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

boltonja1 is just really niceboltonja1 is just really niceboltonja1 is just really niceboltonja1 is just really niceboltonja1 is just really niceboltonja1 is just really niceboltonja1 is just really niceboltonja1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by frrussre
Even if your daughter had a SSN#, are you sure she would get any free money or cheap loans? You, the parents need to have very little in savings or stocks & be low income or unemployed.
Then of course, lots of parents, would say we have been paying taxes for 18 years & we can't get money for our children. Education & Medical, not easy in the USA.

Good luck trying.

Reg. Frank R.
Ps. Maybe hubbies employers, can offer some scholarship money?
Fair point.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 1:17 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

No chance. Even though I'm on long term renewable non-immigrant visa AND working and paying tax in the US, I can't access instate tuition rates due to no green card. I certainly can't access federal or state financial aid.

The only thing I did get is a university-based scholarship that required an essay and recommendations, and a public scholarship via a scholarship website for a few hundred bucks.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 3:06 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Have you contacted the university financial aid office, they answered many questions for me when I was filling out the fafsa for my son. Unrelated to SS number but they were very knowledgeable.
The may know if you can use a tax ID number instead.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 3:09 am
Account Closed

CA is different. Or has been. Most states require at least legal presence.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 3:10 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Have you contacted the university financial aid office, they answered many questions for me when I was filling out the fafsa for my son. Unrelated to SS number but they were very knowledgeable.
PS I have the game on. Recorded come on Wales.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 3:06 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
PS I have the game on. Recorded come on Wales.
I'm not a sports fan I never watch but love to here if they have done well
Old Feb 28th 2010, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by augigi
No chance. Even though I'm on long term renewable non-immigrant visa AND working and paying tax in the US, I can't access instate tuition rates due to no green card. I certainly can't access federal or state financial aid.

The only thing I did get is a university-based scholarship that required an essay and recommendations, and a public scholarship via a scholarship website for a few hundred bucks.
California do offer instate tuition fees to residents of more than 12 months who can demonstrate this California is their home.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Yes, we did speak to one and are waiting for other acceptances (hopefully) in March. We were told no SSN = no aid but she might be considered for a merit scholarship for which FAFSA is not required (guess these are hugely competitive and in current climate, not much money in the pot!
Old Mar 1st 2010, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by boltonja1
California do offer instate tuition fees to residents of more than 12 months who can demonstrate this California is their home.
Yes, apparently so does my university when you provide documentation of residency... except I did, and they don't - they have a few exceptions they don't mention when you enrol!