Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Safe suburbs in Sydney?

Safe suburbs in Sydney?

Old Dec 26th 2012, 10:17 am
Just Joined

Lettie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Safe suburbs in Sydney?

We are hoping to be in Sydney in 2013. I'm busy looking at suburbs suitable to our lifestyle, budget.
We have 2 girls; nearly 3 and 5 1/2 and are hoping to be near a beach, park, river or anywhere family orientated.
Have you any advice for me regarding reasonably priced, safe suburbs to concentrate on.

Last edited by Sue; Dec 26th 2012 at 2:30 pm. Reason: Moved from Update forum
Old Dec 26th 2012, 3:33 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Safe suburbs in Sydney?

Originally Posted by Lettie
We are hoping to be in Sydney in 2013. I'm busy looking at suburbs suitable to our lifestyle, budget.
We have 2 girls; nearly 3 and 5 1/2 and are hoping to be near a beach, park, river or anywhere family orientated.
Have you any advice for me regarding reasonably priced, safe suburbs to concentrate on.
Where are you likely to be working? Sydney is huge so a starting point would be good
Old Dec 26th 2012, 7:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

You might need to tell us a bit more, like where you think you will be working and as we don't know your lifestyle or budget it is hard to comment in those respects too.

As Sydney is by the coast like most Australian cities, nobody is really a long way from the beach, however if you mean you would like to be really close to the beach well this usually means expensive not reasonably priced.
Old Dec 27th 2012, 12:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Like the others suggest, you are throwing out a pretty broad question.

Beach - anywhere east, Parks - all over, Rivers - see a map, Family Orientated - just about everywhere, Reasonably Priced - away from the beach and rivers

Just to give you an indication of recent shootings in Sydney, this is where they have mostly happened - http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/sydney-shootings

That's not to say these areas are unsafe - people generally know their shooter.

Perhaps Polly's question is a good place to start then look at easily commutable areas from there.
Old Dec 29th 2012, 8:29 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Budget and lifestyle choice are a better way to start. There are some very boring very safe suburbs.

Old Dec 30th 2012, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Yes guys are right.

Nearly everywhere here is mega safe. And boring also goes with it if you move to the burbs

We're moving back to Cremorne. Near beach, close to city but its pricey. Depends on your budget too etc

Last edited by itxrd; Dec 30th 2012 at 11:09 am.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 10:11 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by itxrd
Yes guys are right.

Nearly everywhere here is mega safe.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Grayling
If you're from Eton maybe not
Old Dec 30th 2012, 8:33 pm

Looks like the MIL has had her AK47 out again.
Originally Posted by Beoz
Like the others suggest, you are throwing out a pretty broad question.

Beach - anywhere east, Parks - all over, Rivers - see a map, Family Orientated - just about everywhere, Reasonably Priced - away from the beach and rivers

Just to give you an indication of recent shootings in Sydney, this is where they have mostly happened - http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/sydney-shootings

That's not to say these areas are unsafe - people generally know their shooter.

Perhaps Polly's question is a good place to start then look at easily commutable areas from there.
Old Dec 31st 2012, 6:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Yes guys are right.

Nearly everywhere here is mega safe. And boring also goes with it if you move to the burbs

We're moving back to Cremorne. Near beach, close to city but its pricey. Depends on your budget too etc
There were a couple of murders in cremorne while I lived there and a cash machine was blown up. Not the safest place in the world.
Old Dec 31st 2012, 7:14 am

Live life dangerously and dress up as an ATM.
Originally Posted by isgraham
There were a couple of murders in cremorne while I lived there and a cash machine was blown up. Not the safest place in the world.
Old Dec 31st 2012, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IvanM
Looks like the MIL has had her AK47 out again.
Really an AK47?

We all know a MIL can take out a group of gansta's with their tongue/mouth at 40 paces

Well mine can strip them of their dignity with just "the look".
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by isgraham
The guy was targeted. You're not going to get much safer unless you lock yourself away from the whole world. Put it that way

Australia in general with all the laws and being a nanny state is miles safer than the UK. But if you're going to compare Punchbowl to Kensington then maybe now. Apples with apples etc
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 7:22 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I see absolutely no evidence whatsoever that Australia is even slightly safer than the UK let alone miles safer. It isnt backed up by crime figures so I'm not sure what you base that on ? There was 1 (one) reported crime in our village last month
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 7:23 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Australia in general with all the laws and being a nanny state is miles safer than the UK.

I'm sure you used that joke recently on another thread....still funny though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.