Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How to Watch British TV from the USA ?

How to Watch British TV from the USA ?

Old Oct 17th 2011, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

BBFLBoy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How to Watch British TV from the USA ?

There's dozens of ways to watch UK TV abroad having researched the subject myself many months ago. Whichever way you choose, you will need a broadband connection with a relatively good speed i.e 4-5Mbps or above.

You can either use:

1) Slingbox
Sign up to a service using a place-shift device like a Slingbox with a firm such as http://www.UKTV2C.com - packages are around £15 upwards depending on what you want. So you can get anything from all the basic freeview channels to a full blown Sky TV package for about £60 a month. Pause, rewind and record UK TV. Very nice but a bit pricy.

2) VPN
Get a UK VPN and use your PC or Mac to watch BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, 4oD and Demand Five and watch the shows you want when you want.

I have VPN access using a Mac Mini attached to my TV via HDMI so I watch loads of on-demand shows on my TV set. I have Comcast's Blast Extra package to I get very fast 30 meg broadband so the picture is near HD quality on some shows. Very good indeed.

Take your pick but there's options out there. Depends on your budget.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

AddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura about

I've been using StrongVPN for a year now ($55) and it's been very reliable. I normally just download the programmes to my Mac and then stream them to the PS3 later, as it doesn't support VPN.

We can watch iplayer directly on the Mac too, with the Comcast 12Mbps service.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 12:54 am
Just Joined

BBFLBoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AddyLaddy
I've been using StrongVPN for a year now ($55) and it's been very reliable. I normally just download the programmes to my Mac and then stream them to the PS3 later, as it doesn't support VPN.

We can watch iplayer directly on the Mac too, with the Comcast 12Mbps service.
Mac's do support VPN, maybe the software you are using is incompatible with the SSL certificate that your VPN supplier offers?

UKTV2C.com have their own customised version of OpenVPN and it works a treat on Mac OS X.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

AddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by BBFLBoy
Mac's do support VPN, maybe the software you are using is incompatible with the SSL certificate that your VPN supplier offers?

UKTV2C.com have their own customised version of OpenVPN and it works a treat on Mac OS X.
StrongVPN + Mac OS X work just fine too. I just click a VPN icon in the task bar. Don't think it requires any special software.

It's the PS3 where you can't install native VPN and the only option is to flash the router instead. I only have a PS3 connected to my large screen TV.