Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is that an Illegal passport???

Is that an Illegal passport???

Old Oct 8th 2011, 4:06 am
Just Joined

njd1042 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is that an Illegal passport???

I'm a permenant resident in the US and my UK passport has expired. I'd like to get a new one, although I don't have any travel plans- just to be on the safe side. I had the forms sent to me from the UK, and my plan was to send everything back and have my parents send it in and receive it for me...while I stay here!

I understand that it's not what I'm meant to do- that I sign the form declaring I'm in the UK and what not, but it's just sooo crazy expensive to do it over here and apparently takes a year and a day.

However, I'm worried about immigration - is there anyway for them to know how I got my passport just by looking at it. Obviously I won't have a visa in there, (cause I don't have one) but does the embassy give you a gold star in your passport or something??

Has anyone actual had the experience of coming back to the US with their non-embassy passport ?

Also, I haven't left the US in about 8 years, but there is no I:94 in my "super important papers" file. Would I have sent that in as part of some visa process or is it the sort of thing I wouldn't have been asked to send away, and should be checking the bottom of my draw for?

Thanks for your help
Old Oct 8th 2011, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is that an Illegal passport???

A UK passport is a UK passport and since you are a UK citizen you will always be able to get into the UK even without a passport (although you will get quite a bit of grief if you show up without one).

As I understand it you aren't supposed to get your passport renewed in the UK if you are not actually physically present in the UK at the time that you submit the application, but it isn't going to invalidate your passport if you decide to do it that way.

As a US permanent resident all the US cares about is that you have your green card. They don't care about your UK passport, where you got it renewed or even if you have one at all.

Your I-94 became irrelevant the moment that you became a permanent resident.
Old Oct 8th 2011, 4:33 am
Just Joined

THANK YOU!!! That's some serious knowledge you've got there Really appreciate it.
Old Oct 8th 2011, 9:56 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

I sooo understand why you want to do your UK passport this way (mine needs renewing too), but think carefully. Passports do go missing in the post. Do you intend to become a US citizen? If so, be aware that making a false decleration on a pasport form is a criminal offence. Probably no one will ever pick up on it, but is it worth the risk? I was also suprised to read a sign at the PO saying that it is illegal to take the passport form out of the UK.
Old Oct 8th 2011, 12:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
A UK passport is a UK passport and since you are a UK citizen you will always be able to get into the UK even without a passport (although you will get quite a bit of grief if you show up without one).

As I understand it you aren't supposed to get your passport renewed in the UK if you are not actually physically present in the UK at the time that you submit the application, but it isn't going to invalidate your passport if you decide to do it that way.

As a US permanent resident all the US cares about is that you have your green card. They don't care about your UK passport, where you got it renewed or even if you have one at all.

Your I-94 became irrelevant the moment that you became a permanent resident.
The problem is trying to board a transatlantic flight with an expired PP. I always thought one had to apply for a new UK PP in the country they reside but quite a few on here seem to apply when they visit the UK.
Old Oct 8th 2011, 12:49 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by njd1042
I had the forms sent to me from the UK...
You could have downloaded them from the UK Embassy's web site!

... but it's just sooo crazy expensive to do it over here and apparently takes a year and a day.
Well, it is expensive... but processing time is currently about 5 weeks - so I've no idea why you think it'll take longer than that?

Ian
Old Oct 8th 2011, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold

I'm a permenant resident in the US and my UK passport has expired. I'd like to get a new one, although I don't have any travel plans- just to be on the safe side. I had the forms sent to me from the UK, and my plan was to send everything back and have my parents send it in and receive it for me...while I stay here!

I understand that it's not what I'm meant to do- that I sign the form declaring I'm in the UK and what not, but it's just sooo crazy expensive to do it over here and apparently takes a year and a day.

However, I'm worried about immigration - is there anyway for them to know how I got my passport just by looking at it. Obviously I won't have a visa in there, (cause I don't have one) but does the embassy give you a gold star in your passport or something??

Has anyone actual had the experience of coming back to the US with their non-embassy passport ?

Also, I haven't left the US in about 8 years, but there is no I:94 in my "super important papers" file. Would I have sent that in as part of some visa process or is it the sort of thing I wouldn't have been asked to send away, and should be checking the bottom of my draw for?

Thanks for your help
Doesn't it say 'Issued @....... or something along those lines? I can't find my old US issued one to compare.
Old Oct 8th 2011, 2:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1chumly
Doesn't it say 'Issued @....... or something along those lines? I can't find my old US issued one to compare.
Yes it gives the place of issue.
Old Oct 8th 2011, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

Ahhhhh....never thought of the old "place of issue" hurdle. Hmmm...I guess I need to give it some more thought. Thanks for your help everyone.
Old Oct 8th 2011, 4:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 37100
be aware that making a false declaration on a passport form is a criminal offense. Probably no one will ever pick up on it, but is it worth the risk?
Put these two statements together and think about it. Technically speaking you are providing false information on that form in order to get it delivered to a different address at which you are not resident. I suppose there is an obscure provision somewhere for someone to review it and say maybe the passport was issued improperly and take it back.

It's expensive but probably safer to do it the proper way.
Old Oct 8th 2011, 4:40 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

I really doubt the US gives a crap about how you fill out which UK form to get a UK passport. I certainly wouldn't worry about that detail on a US citizenship form.

But life will probably be made easier by renewing from the embassy in the US, plus you won't have to worry about some obscure UK government entity suddenly deciding that you live in the UK and whatever consequences that attracts.
Old Oct 8th 2011, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhhhh....never thought of the old "place of issue" hurdle. Hmmm...I guess I need to give it some more thought. Thanks for your help everyone.
Yes, of course the passport has the "place of issue" on it - but who cares?

The US certainly doesn't and do you think that the UK is really going to check their entry and exit records and say "Gosh he seems to be reentering the UK with a passport issued in the UK at a time when he appears to have not been in the UK" - trust me, they are not going to do that - and, even if they do, what precisely are they going to do about it - as I said, you are still a UK citizen no matter what, which means that you have the right to enter the UK even without a passport (although, as others have mentioned, getting on a flight without a valid passport is almost impossible).

Anyway, at the end of the day I really don't think that it matters - send your passport off to your parents in the UK or just do it in the US - do whatever you want to do ...
Old Oct 8th 2011, 5:02 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

My US issued passport does not have a section for "place of issue". Under "Authority" it does say "FCO"
Old Oct 8th 2011, 5:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, of course the passport has the "place of issue" on it - but who cares?

The US certainly doesn't and do you think that the UK is really going to check their entry and exit records and say "Gosh he seems to be reentering the UK with a passport issued in the UK at a time when he appears to have not been in the UK" - trust me, they are not going to do that - and, even if they do, what precisely are they going to do about it - as I said, you are still a UK citizen no matter what, which means that you have the right to enter the UK even without a passport (although, as others have mentioned, getting on a flight without a valid passport is almost impossible).

Anyway, at the end of the day I really don't think that it matters - send your passport off to your parents in the UK or just do it in the US - do whatever you want to do ...
Without wanting to open up a different can of worms, I see similarities between this issue and that of maintaining a UK Driving License. While technically possible to renew it may not result in some people's eyes in a valid license (e.g. car insurance companies). Theory v. Reality. Whether anyone in practice actually cares is a different matter.
Old Oct 8th 2011, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

BILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
I really doubt the US gives a crap about how you fill out which UK form to get a UK passport. I certainly wouldn't worry about that detail on a US citizenship form.
This.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.