Denied entry to the USA - why??

Old Nov 10th 2010, 12:48 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Denied entry to the USA - why??

Originally Posted by aniamilas
They were accusing him of wanting to get married with me while he was here for the 3 month period.
With respect, they could have accused him until the cows came home. It is not illegal to enter the US on the VWP to get married. It is illegal only if you intend to stay in the US after the marriage to adjust status.

Ian
Old Nov 10th 2010, 3:26 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
With respect, they could have accused him until the cows came home. It is not illegal to enter the US on the VWP to get married. It is illegal only if you intend to stay in the US after the marriage to adjust status.

Ian
AND the border agents can deny entry for basically any reason (or none) with the VWP.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 5:59 pm
Duh duh duh

melissajean is an unknown quantity at this point

I just wanted to tell you I am so unbelievably sorry this happened to you. I was detained and denied entry into the UK in 2008. I was naive and didn't realize the extent of things I should've done before I even went there. I came back heartbroken, broke, etc.

I completely empathize with you. And although I cannot offer you any advice, I just want to tell you to keep your chin up. Don't give up. It is very disheartening, I know. And it makes you angry and frustrated. And while you were so generous and forthcoming with your answers, apparently being truthful gets you no where in terms of gaining entry. The one thing you can count on is your honesty. You weren't banned, simply denied entry. Just as I was to the UK. The important thing now, is to do things by the book. Because you will be scrutinized in future visits. I wish you so much luck. Just don't give up okay.

I'm still fighting the fight to be with my b/f Paul in the UK. He's doing things by the book now and while he's never visited the US, he's still having difficulty because he was in trouble over 15 years ago. So, he has to go through a tedious Visa process in London. We're really both terrified, and I've not tried to visit the UK again since I was denied entry. I am just too scared to. I think it'd be easier for him. Plus, I work in a hospital and can't take off because of that and school. I'd love to go back, I still want to move over there. But now, I realize it's not as simple as packing your bags and going. I'm sure after I finish school it won't be an issue. Before it was a problem because I left my job, home, etc., to make the move. Had no return ticket, etc. I was just clueless. Hopefully, he will get his visa and he'll be able to visit soon.

It makes me so angry to see those come and go as they please, illegal people just living off our governments, both here and in the UK. It seems like no one cares really. But when people are honest and try to do things the right way and their hearts are in the right place, those are the ones that pay. It sounds cliche, but all we're really guilty of is loving some one. Not so long ago people traveled freely. Terrorists and degenerates have to mess it up for everyone, yet they still find themselves gaining entry. I found myself questioning so many times, "Why can't they just see I'm no harm. I am a hard worker. I am a good person." But governments don't work that way. They work by money. I don't hate my country, I just hate the laws that were put in place sometimes. I will tell you from firsthand experience, if you were a celebrity with the same story, you would've came right through. And it's the same for the UK. I was in there with a VERY well known celebrity and he had the same EXACT story as me. I talked to him for 4 hours, and guess what--his stardom got him through. I got an egg sandwich and a 22 hour wait before I was sent home. However, the IO's that I spoke with were very kind. I was told that mostly they are very cold and my boyfriend couldn't believe, after what he'd seen on the tele over there, how nice they were to me. The IO even hugged me and said she was sorry. As you can tell, I'm still heartbroken about it. But feeling sad doesn't do a thing for the situation. I'm sorry for the long-winded story. I just feel better sometimes when I talk about it.

Most of the people on this board are very helpful. But some are not. Meauxna and Ian have been most helpful to me. I don't know what I'd do w/out them. Again, I wish you luck. And patience. Because you will find you will need it just as much as you need hope.

Last edited by melissajean; Nov 14th 2010 at 6:12 pm.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 6:13 pm
Duh duh duh

Is it possible that he overstayed? I mean, I really don't know much about Immigration laws (clearly lol) but can't you only stay for 3 months in a year? Or is that just 3 at a time? Just curious.

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Ian
Old Nov 14th 2010, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by melissajean
I mean, I really don't know much about Immigration laws (clearly lol) but can't you only stay for 3 months in a year? Or is that just 3 at a time? Just curious.
The Visa Waiver Program allows you to stay in the US for a maximum period of 90 days (not 3 months). There is no limit to the number of times that you can attempt to use the VWP to visit the US, but there is also no guarantee that you will be admitted on any particular occasion.

There is an often quoted rule of thumb that says that you should spend more time out of the US than in the US in order to avoid problems, but that is just a piece of general advice and even if you do that there are no guarantees.

Ultimately what it comes down to is that every time you attempt to enter using the VWP you have to convince CBP that you are a bona fide visitor and that you will comply with the terms of the VWP. If, for any reason, they don't believe you then you will not be admitted.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 6:52 pm
Duh duh duh

Oh I just thought it was a 3 months out of the year type thing. But that's good to know. When Paul comes it will only be for 2 weeks, so we shouldn't encounter that as being an issue. Although, he can't use the VWP anyway.

Originally Posted by md95065
The Visa Waiver Program allows you to stay in the US for a maximum period of 90 days (not 3 months). There is no limit to the number of times that you can attempt to use the VWP to visit the US, but there is also no guarantee that you will be admitted on any particular occasion.

There is an often quoted rule of thumb that says that you should spend more time out of the US than in the US in order to avoid problems, but that is just a piece of general advice and even if you do that there are no guarantees.

Ultimately what it comes down to is that every time you attempt to enter using the VWP you have to convince CBP that you are a bona fide visitor and that you will comply with the terms of the VWP. If, for any reason, they don't believe you then you will not be admitted.