Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

We're thinking of emigrating to Canada - all advice welcome.

We're thinking of emigrating to Canada - all advice welcome.

Old Aug 31st 2005, 12:13 pm
Just Joined

Simon_&_Liz is an unknown quantity at this point
Question We're thinking of emigrating to Canada - all advice welcome.

My husband and I, along with our 2 year old daughter, are considering a move to Canada. We currently live in the South East of England and have an increasing urge to spread our wings a bit further afield.

My husband is a telecommunications engineer for British Telecom and my background is working within an administrative environment.

Our main worry are is whether we (particularly my husband) will be suitably qualified for similar work in Canada. In addition, we are not sure which region would be best suited for a family with a young child. We would like to live in an area where there are other families with young children. We prefer quiet suburbs or "out-of-city" areas but appreciate that this is not always practicable in terms of employment.

Any advice from anyone already in Canada who has gone through this process or in the same position as us would be much appreciated as we don't know where to start.

Last edited by Simon_&_Liz; Aug 31st 2005 at 12:29 pm.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We're thinking of emigrating to Canada - all advice welcome.

[QUOTE=Simon_&_Liz]

We definitely would like to live in an area that doesn't see too much variation in weather i.e. extreme cold to extreme hot and our preference would be towards the mid-range to warmer climates.

looks like you want to live in North Carolina and want to call it Canada
Old Aug 31st 2005, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome to the boards,

I would suggest you visit Canada on a research trip. Before we applied we visited 2 years ago and stayed in Calgary, Alberta and over 3 weeks travelled to Vancouver, staying in Edmonton, Jasper, Lake Louise and Kamloops along the way. After visiting the three cities we had in mind (Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver) we decided on Calgary. We found Vancouver a lovely city to visit, but crowded and expensive. Edmonton was nice too, but has very cold winters. We liked Calgary because of the slightly more moderate climate (chinooks) and closeness to the rockies.

We've not visited Eastern Canada so can't offer any advice there.

I'm sure someone on here will be able to advise you more re. your job as my hubby works in a different field.

If you are applying Skilled Worker the wait is now 36 months, unless you apply and are able to get a job = work permit.

If you want to get an idea of house prices in all the provinces I would look at www.mls.ca

HTH?

Originally Posted by Simon_&_Liz
My husband and I, along with our 2 year old daughter, are considering a move to Canada. We currently live in the South East of England and have an increasing urge to spread our wings a bit further afield.

My husband is a telecommunications engineer for British Telecom and my background is working within an administrative environment.

Our main worry are is whether we (particularly my husband) will be suitably qualified for similar work in Canada. In addition, we are not sure which region would be best suited for a family with a young child. We would like to live in an area where there are other families with young children. We prefer quiet suburbs or "out-of-city" areas but appreciate that this is not always practicable in terms of employment.

We definitely would like to live in an area that doesn't see too much variation in weather i.e. extreme cold to extreme hot and our preference would be towards the mid-range to warmer climates.

Any advice from anyone already in Canada who has gone through this process or in the same position as us would be much appreciated as we don't know where to start.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=psb182]

looks like you want to live in North Carolina and want to call it Canada
Was there really any need for that? I thought this website was meant to offer support to peeps? Maybe they really don't know how variable the climate is. Give them a break they're new!
Old Aug 31st 2005, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: We're thinking of emigrating to Canada - all advice welcome.

Hi and thanks for your response.

Our geography in relation to climate is not that great so your information helps.

I'll also look at the website you suggested re: housing.

Has your application been accepted yet to go over there?
Old Aug 31st 2005, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

We applied late 2003 and are a bit short on points, so hubby has had to sit a French test and I've had to get more documentation to prove my post-secondary qualification.

Today I posted the French test results and letters to London to await their final decision at CHC. We're not sure how hubby's done in the French test. While we wait we are thinking of a Plan B and C if we're not successful this time i.e. work permit or PNP (Provincial Nominee Program) routes? Or.... possible transfer with hubby's work to Eastern Canada, but we really want to go to Calgary. Keeping everything crossed at the moment.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

Lonestar is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi ,I to live in the south east and my application to immigrate is in process since july '05 just 2 or more years to wait for a reply???? but I do know what you mean and for the kind of weather that you are looking for will probably be found in British Columbia,one good thing you could try is check out what the weather is like on the cbc news website for different areas and compare it to the weather here and also check the news stories to get a feel for what goes on there.I did go to visit Vancouver in september and though it was raining it was a nice kind of rain....strange either it was my holiday mindset or may be the altitude makes a difference???as to jobs ,it will probably be much worse than here and just because were british, from what i hear there are no special favours but the way i see it you take your luck with you,as to qualifications...if you think he'll just fall into a telecoms job then please reaserch hard....Telus is a big canadian telecom company,might be worth emailing them your C.V. for advice?good luck
Old Aug 31st 2005, 12:51 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: We're thinking of emigrating to Canada - all advice welcome.

Originally Posted by Lonestar
Hi ,I to live in the south east and my application to immigrate is in process since july '05 just 2 or more years to wait for a reply???? but I do know what you mean and for the kind of weather that you are looking for will probably be found in British Columbia,one good thing you could try is check out what the weather is like on the cbc news website for different areas and compare it to the weather here and also check the news stories to get a feel for what goes on there.I did go to visit Vancouver in september and though it was raining it was a nice kind of rain....strange either it was my holiday mindset or may be the altitude makes a difference???as to jobs ,it will probably be much worse than here and just because were british, from what i hear there are no special favours but the way i see it you take your luck with you,as to qualifications...if you think he'll just fall into a telecoms job then please reaserch hard....Telus is a big canadian telecom company,might be worth emailing them your C.V. for advice?good luck

Thanks for this info - hope your application is successful - maybe w'll see you out there!
Old Aug 31st 2005, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to all

Hi, here in NB we know from conversations with ALIANT phone engineers that they are in need of guys who have experience.
Aliant is the BT of Atlantic Canada, thats NB, NS, PEI and NF and Labrador.
I would suggest an attempt to get a Job offer from Aliant and in tandem use the Provincial Nominee Programme, if one has a written job offer, it is around 9 months to a Year and you are here!
Here in Atlantic Canada, the power and phone is all on suspended lines between poles along the road, Summer or Winter there are outages (cuts). Aliant are very busy, always.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 1:50 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Ok First bit off advice is learn as much as possible about yourselves and what it the best lifestyle for you.

Current Job qualifications are what gets you passed the immigration, it doesn't mean you have to do it when you get here.

Second read this site for things like Culture Shock, where to live etc and TAKE EVERYTHING with a pinch of salt most Brits that have emigrated are not
on this site.

Thirdly I think apart from Vancouver everywhere else has about 50 -70+ degree weather changes. ie Winnipeg gets to -35 to +35 odd day at -40 odd day at 38. And the winters last a few months longer in each place.

finally every part of a city district has good and bad points. You can go from the high society to the rural barn dance. Also with your 2 year old now she'll probably be around 5 when you get here so schools are good idea to find out about when you get near the time and nearer the area, BUT not really that important to stop you from arriving here.

In another thread Choices we make
Scouse said
"Many of us have, or are in the process of, leaving our comfort zones, our families and our friends to undertake what is, probably, the most unnerving experience of our lives. Preparation and research will take us so far, but most of us are still undertaking what amounts to an act of faith of biblical proportions!"

"an act of faith of biblical proportions!" is YES it it is but what if you don't do it.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to all

Schools- Each province has it`s own policies on curriculum (not national like UK)
I can`t speak for city kids, but kids in tiny towns of less then a couple of thousand population are super polite and civilised.
Cell phones are very expensive, so there is no "mobile phone culture"here!
If you live more than about 2km from a school, you MUST use the school bus, only by written advance notices and verbal agreements, are the children excused.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

With your entry into Canada with your PNP PR Visa and your husband working already, one can easily track down PT work, one can then build on that for Full Time. Here in NB south, the Brits get a very warm welcome, they are aware that we are tied of the Euro culture in the UK and want to assist us in so many ways.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

www.mls.ca is the definitive sight for all one`s housing research.
All cities in Ontario, Quebec, BC and West Alberta are approaching South England prices. We found that crime figures for Atlantic Canada are the lowest along with low every thing else. Halifax is like a mini Dublin, also it has pride of place every night on the TV news regarding robbery, shooting etc.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 5:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

seacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant future

Hi and thanks for your response.

Our geography in relation to climate is not that great so your information helps.

I'll also look at the website you suggested re: housing.

Has your application been accepted yet to go over there?
Coastal BC has the mildest climate in Canada, it's remarkably similar
to southern England.
The rest of Canada has a very extreme climate.
Toronto varies from bitterly cold and snowy in winter to
extremely hot and humid in summer.
In any year it can range from -30C in February to +38C in July.

The maritimes are slightly milder, but very wet and snowfall in
winter can be extraordinary! Halifax had 8 foot snowdrifts when we were there.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Craftybanshee]
Originally Posted by psb182

Was there really any need for that? I thought this website was meant to offer support to peeps? Maybe they really don't know how variable the climate is. Give them a break they're new!

yes there was a need for that they stated they want to live in a place that does not have extreem climate changes........thats a bit like someone saying I want to live in the UK but I really don't want to go anywhere where it rains.........in fact try find another country than Canada that has quite as extreem weather changes.........you can sugar coat it all you want.....you can say it's not really that bad in the winter if you dress for it .........you can say buy gortex and windstopper jackets and put layers on .......it don't change the fact that it is brutally cold in the winter........the summers are great......I am just telling it like it is thats all

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.