Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

LAFHA - Budget 2012/13

LAFHA - Budget 2012/13

Old May 8th 2012, 9:52 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LAFHA - Budget 2012/13

Originally Posted by verystormy
I a, kind of with Bermudashorts on this one. But there is one issue I don't think has been thought through. My employer is now going to have to pay those on 457 visas an extra $30k a year. But, that means they are on an increased salary to me. Naturally, I wouldn't be too happy about that, so I am also going to require a pay rise. Then everybody else whose grades are going to say, hey, the gap between these guys is too big I need a pay rise. So the cost to business is huge potentially.
Surely it's a situation which already commonly arises - whenever any 457 converts to PR or even expresses an interest in becoming PR?
Old May 9th 2012, 2:09 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Surely it's a situation which already commonly arises - whenever any 457 converts to PR or even expresses an interest in becoming PR?
Absolutely. 457 can be a big risk for an employer - especially when the 457 likes it here and wants to become PR. Some will wait and do it through ENS, but I know plenty of guys who have realised that they can do PR themselves, get it and then immediatley resign from the company. Sometimes they will have to pay some money back to the employer, but as they will usually be earning a lot more, don't give a shit. Often, 457s can earn a lot less than locals, and after a while this begins to grate. There are plenty of companies that won't touch 457s as they can be more hassle than they are worth.
Old May 9th 2012, 2:52 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Absolutely. 457 can be a big risk for an employer - especially when the 457 likes it here and wants to become PR. Some will wait and do it through ENS, but I know plenty of guys who have realised that they can do PR themselves, get it and then immediatley resign from the company. Sometimes they will have to pay some money back to the employer, but as they will usually be earning a lot more, don't give a shit. Often, 457s can earn a lot less than locals, and after a while this begins to grate. There are plenty of companies that won't touch 457s as they can be more hassle than they are worth.
IMHO they should make it much easier to get PR for skills that are genuinely in demand.
Old May 9th 2012, 3:11 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
IMHO they should make it much easier to get PR for skills that are genuinely in demand.
I agree. From what I can see, there are hardly any electrical engineers and designers coming into WA - yet the demand for them is white hot.
Old May 9th 2012, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

If I had the option, I'd have claimed LAFHA. There are many on 457's that don't get it. However, LAFHA was implemented incorrectly. If it was strictly for those who have to maintain a living situation at home as well as Australia, it would be fair. That would involve means testing in both countries, which, as far as I know, can't be done by the Australian government. So, on that note, scrap it. Too many taking advantage of it unfairly. Companies will have to do it themselves or not offer it at all.

If you can't afford to live here, move.
Old May 9th 2012, 3:12 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
If I had the option, I'd have claimed LAFHA. There are many on 457's that don't get it. However, LAFHA was implemented incorrectly. If it was strictly for those who have to maintain a living situation at home as well as Australia, it would be fair. That would involve means testing in both countries, which, as far as I know, can't be done by the Australian government. So, on that note, scrap it. Too many taking advantage of it unfairly. Companies will have to do it themselves or not offer it at all.

well said
Old May 9th 2012, 3:41 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

No need LAFHA is staying
Old May 9th 2012, 3:47 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bingobob777
No need LAFHA is staying
Luckily for you, I can afford to support you
Old May 9th 2012, 4:02 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Most people on 457s come underpaid compared to their Australian counterparts, I know I was, due to lack of local knowledge of the market. In my case it took a few big pay rises once here and once I came off the 457 onto PR another big whack and I got to a market level. I imagine it's not going to be as dire as you suggest, since employers have been making a saving so far with 457 visa holders. The guidelines for salaries imposed as miniumum for each trade are very low, especially in my field where regional variations can mean you'll get 2x more working on one side of the country to the other.
Old May 9th 2012, 4:55 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Luckily for you, I can afford to support you
Cheers Big ears
Old May 9th 2012, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Im happy without LAFHA. But if its staying then maybe I should look into for a bit.. Cant beat extra money and less taxes!
Old May 9th 2012, 8:22 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
Im happy without LAFHA. But if its staying then maybe I should look into for a bit.. Cant beat extra money and less taxes!
It's only staying for existing arrangements. If you were to arrange it now you would lose it on 01 Jul 2012 - unless you are doing genuine FIFO or away from main home work.
Old May 9th 2012, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bcworld
It's only staying for existing arrangements. If you were to arrange it now you would lose it on 01 Jul 2012 - unless you are doing genuine FIFO or away from main home work.
Im funding a house in England, a flat in Brisbane and doing FIFO..

Worth me looking into it for a bit?
Old May 9th 2012, 8:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
Im funding a house in England, a flat in Brisbane and doing FIFO..

Worth me looking into it for a bit?
Do you pay for your accommodation when you are away on FIFO?
Old May 9th 2012, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Do you pay for your accommodation when you are away on FIFO?
I have never come across anyone on FIFO that would be eligible as accommodation is supplied

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.