Use it up-Wear it out!

Old Apr 23rd 2014, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Use it up-Wear it out!

Originally Posted by brissybee
You lot could be really helpful to me in my attempts to de-clutter!

I really struggle with parting with things that I have spent good money on. I have managed to sell some things but other stuff just takes up space because it seems too valuable to chuck but I don't really need it.

When I'm in the right mind I use the "do I love it, use it or need it?" mantra which helps a bit... or I ask myself if it's something which is helping me move towards the life I want... or, in the case of paperwork, I ask myself if I could get the information again if I needed it and if I threw out the thing I have.

It does my head in really.
All you need to ask yourself is this: Is the space you want now more valuable than an undefined sum you might get for the item in the future? If the answer is 'yes' then turf it, give it away or take to charity.

It's not something that gets invoked from a move, it's a state of mind. Otherwise I'm afraid you'll be doomed to repeat it.

Not used/worn in 6mths? It's gone.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Listed our house yesterday and spent the last two days clearing out as well. Huge garage sale coming up on 3rd May and coincided with a neighbourhood one! Lots of amazing junk but also some good stuff which I am finding hard to part with too because at garage sales they want it for peanuts. Took some good clothes to a consignment store and will do that again. Sold quite a lot on Craigslist and depending what happens with house will be selling a load of furniture too! Got loads of photo albums going back to my baby days! Thinking of taking best pics and making up one album. Others to photo and put on cd!
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

Charell is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by feelbritish
Got loads of photo albums going back to my baby days! Thinking of taking best pics and making up one album. Others to photo and put on cd!
This is a great idea. I too have lots of albums and hadn't really thought of doing this. I am getting a video capture to transfer my old VHS home movies to digital but will sort through the photos too and try and do something digital too. My ex is staying in Canada so this might be the best for both with the pictures of the kids growing up.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 11:45 pm
Banned

r0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud of

Yes, I have also been scanning a lot of photos to my computer and will then convert them to a flash drive. These are some great posts, great ideas and lots of laughs to help me with this painful process :-)-thanks
Old Apr 27th 2014, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Without going into horrible details of that time, some of which has taken me 5 years to come to terms with & I am still not there with some of it, please do not feel sad for her. I didn't reject that person out of hand at all . Far from it. However in the end I needed to preserve my personal memories of my family life and parents. That person would have happily seen all that destroyed.

..and no, I did not misunderstand the intention in the end. My mistake was to trust and offer a tentative friendship.

Better the hand grenade TBH.
Bevs - I can relate to this - a lot! You did the right thing, IMHO