Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What made you want to move to the USA?

What made you want to move to the USA?

Old Apr 22nd 2014, 11:24 pm
Just Joined

usadreamer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What made you want to move to the USA?

Hi, new here, Im currently 19 and just started university, after I'm done with education (It'll take 7 years of courses to get qualified into the profession Im going into) Im planing to look for work in the US and hopefully one day make a permanent move there.

Im interested in knowing what motivated you fellow brits to want to move to the USA?
I've been a lucky kid as my parents have been taking me on holiday each year to west coast US and I've grown to love it. Just thought I'd share some of the reasons I want to spend my life there:

- Landscape: Massive variety of landscapes you get over there that you can't find in boring old England, mountains, forests, deserts. Absolutely stunning national parks such as Yosemite and Grand Canyon. Massive variety all contained within one country! Would rather go on a road trip to the Grand Canyon than Cornwall any day.

- Cities: Amazing cities all with different vibes, Vegas and LA are my personal favorites.

- Space: Just the sheer amount of space there is compared to the UK, everything is spread out, the roads are wider, nothing like the feel you get in a british suburb. Space makes me feel free!

- People: Everyone I've come into contact with in the US is extremely welcoming and friendly, may have just been because Im a brit but in the californian towns I have visited they have a real strong sense of community.

- Everything is bigger and better!: I know its one of the trademarks of america that everything is super sized but I love it! You can get a much larger and more grand house in a US suburb than you can for the same price in the UK, in general everything is cheaper. I love the big arse suvs they drive, the stores, american diners, pretty much love the american lifestyle

-Weather: California in particular has a certain glow about it I can't describe, everything is brighter and more beautiful in the sun. And some of the extreme weather they can get seems exciting compared to the endless light drizzle of rain you get here.

What do you like most about the USA that made you want to make the move?
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 11:30 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What made you want to move to the USA?

Save everyone the trouble, go read this thread from just a few days ago.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 11:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by usadreamer
- Everything is bigger and better!
...and the grass is always greener too!

Seriously there are several recent threads asking the same question.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 11:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Ads! Lovely, shouty ads that really make me want to buy things
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 11:38 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

My husband is the immigrant, but I can answer on his behalf.... Me! That's the only reason he wanted to move to the USA. But then again he's not from the UK.

Rene
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

....BIG things
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 11:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
...and the grass is always greener too!

Seriously there are several recent threads asking the same question.
Whatever he's smoking is pretty good
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 11:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MMcD
....BIG things
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Old Apr 22nd 2014, 11:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Whatever he's smoking is pretty good
Oh yes, just re-reading it.

I've been a lucky kid as my parents have been taking me on holiday each year to west coast US and I've grown to love it.
I think next time they take you, you should offer to pay for everything.

- Cities: Amazing cities all with different vibes, Vegas and LA are my personal favorites.
Especially here.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 1:27 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, new here, Im currently 19 and just started university, after I'm done with education (It'll take 7 years of courses to get qualified into the profession Im going into) Im planing to look for work in the US and hopefully one day make a permanent move there.

Im interested in knowing what motivated you fellow brits to want to move to the USA?
I've been a lucky kid as my parents have been taking me on holiday each year to west coast US and I've grown to love it. Just thought I'd share some of the reasons I want to spend my life there:

- Landscape: Massive variety of landscapes you get over there that you can't find in boring old England, mountains, forests, deserts. Absolutely stunning national parks such as Yosemite and Grand Canyon. Massive variety all contained within one country! Would rather go on a road trip to the Grand Canyon than Cornwall any day.

- Space: Just the sheer amount of space there is compared to the UK, everything is spread out, the roads are wider, nothing like the feel you get in a british suburb. Space makes me feel free!

- People: Everyone I've come into contact with in the US is extremely welcoming and friendly, may have just been because Im a brit but in the californian towns I have visited they have a real strong sense of community.

- Everything is bigger and better!: I know its one of the trademarks of america that everything is super sized but I love it! You can get a much larger and more grand house in a US suburb than you can for the same price in the UK, in general everything is cheaper. I love the big arse suvs they drive, the stores, american diners, pretty much love the american lifestyle

-Weather: California in particular has a certain glow about it I can't describe, everything is brighter and more beautiful in the sun. And some of the extreme weather they can get seems exciting compared to the endless light drizzle of rain you get here.

You didn't mention the most obvious, and salient point -the women (or men-your choice, nowadays)
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 2:23 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

If you like it as much as you say you should attend school in the US, I think on a (J-1?) student visa. Pick your school based on your curriculum and some schools actively recruit international students and will have available loans, grants and scholarships. This is what you should be doing if you intend to immigrate here. Also you'll see after spending a fair amount of time here, if you really want to live here.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 5:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jeepster
If you like it as much as you say you should attend school in the US, I think on a (J-1?) student visa. Pick your school based on your curriculum and some schools actively recruit international students and will have available loans, grants and scholarships. This is what you should be doing if you intend to immigrate here. Also you'll see after spending a fair amount of time here, if you really want to live here.
I think it's F1, but he's already started on a 7-year course. Maybe BUNAC?
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 8:25 am
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Old Apr 23rd 2014, 8:48 am

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

And the warnings that make you understand why you shouldn't.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.