Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Fire alarm mandatory in rental?

Fire alarm mandatory in rental?

Old Apr 22nd 2014, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fire alarm mandatory in rental?

Forget about risks/benefits for the sake of this thread please. Is there something in state or federal law about having a fire alarm in a rental property and it being illegal for the the renter to disable it?

I am the renter. My building Super told me it was against the law for me to disable it, even to just paint the strobe light over leaving the sound intact. I googled but couldn't find anything.

Can you point me to said law please?

Thanks.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 11:08 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fire alarm mandatory in rental?

Which state?

How long do you anticipate it being disabled?

What do you mean by "paint over the strobe light"?

If you're only going to have it disabled an hour or so, to do some painting, and then re-enable it, the landlord would probably never even know. And you'll be standing right there, in case an emergency does happen.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Apr 22nd 2014 at 11:19 pm.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 11:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

http://law.onecle.com/california/health/13113.7.html

It looks like the landlord is responsible for making sure they are operable. I suppose it's arguable whether this includes the light.

PS that's California.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 11:14 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

It's a state level law, but it is likely a legal requirement incumbent on the landlord to ensure that a functioning fire alarm is in the home. If there are gas appliances or an attached garage, there (likely) must be a carbon monoxide detector too. A landlord, or his agent, is (likely) entitled to enter at any reasonable time and without notice to make essential safety related repairs, such as to non-functioning fire/smoke/CO detectors.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 11:17 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Here's some information on the Arizona law with smoke detectors/fire alarms in rental units:

http://www.ehow.com/info_12339547_ar...re-alarms.html

Under Arizona law, it's the landlord's responsibility to install a smoke detector but the tenant's responsibility to ensure the device is maintained and working. The landlord must inform the tenant, in writing, of his responsibility to maintain and regularly test smoke detectors in the rental unit. Tenants must let their landlords know if any of the smoke detectors in a unit stops working, so the landlord can repair or replace the defective detector

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/info_12339547_ar...#ixzz2zezDout4

Rene
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 11:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Which state?

How long do you anticipate it being disabled?

What do you mean by "paint over the strobe light"?

If you're only going to have it disabled an hour or so, to do some painting, and then re-enable it, the landlord would probably never even know. And you'll be standing right there, in case an emergency does happen.

Rene
My reading of it is that she wants to cover the flashing light part permanently.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 11:28 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Why on earth would you want to disable it - unless it is faulty The strobe and siren are only supposed to be "on" if there is a fire.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 11:29 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

States and cities have laws on this. You'll need to check the specifics of your locale for the specifics. In addition, if you are in a building with a Super it's likely you signed something in the lease that said you would not modify or alter the fire alarms or other parts of the apartment.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 11:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

In my condo, a private company is required to turn on the alarm once a year and check each unit to make sure that each alarm is working and has not been tampered with. This is usually done in May of each year.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 11:31 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmood
Forget about risks/benefits for the sake of this thread please. Is there something in state or federal law about having a fire alarm in a rental property and it being illegal for the the renter to disable it?

I am the renter. My building Super told me it was against the law for me to disable it, even to just paint the strobe light over leaving the sound intact. I googled but couldn't find anything.

Can you point me to said law please?

Thanks.
I'm fairly sure that building code requires it, though exactly what sort of alarm is required appears to vary according to type of building.

http://www.dos.ny.gov/DCEA/pdf/smokedetex.pdf

However, if it is required by code the building owner is responsible for the alarms, and if you tamper with them then you are putting him/her in an illegal situation. I have no idea if that would be considered an offense on your part under the law, but it isn't really fair to the landlord who has to comply with code.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 11:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by RICH
Why on earth would you want to disable it - unless it is faulty The strobe and siren are only supposed to be "on" if there is a fire.
The light flashes periodically.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Interesting. It never occurred to me that the OP would want to paint over a strobe light that keeps flashing. I don't think the smoke alarm in my condo has a strobe like that...I've lived in this condo for 27 years and never noticed a light flashing. But mine is in the hallway, places up near the ceiling area, so I'm never really looking at it to notice. On second thought, when the whole condo is dark, I never see any light flashing from the hallway, so I guess I don't have that type of alarm.

Maybe the OP could just put up some heavy fabric around the strobe, if the flashing light bothers her.

Rene
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I want to cover up the strobe light permanently.

I also want to permanently disable the whole thing. It is so loud that even if the one in my apartment is off, the sound coming from the common hallway and the adjacent apartments can be heard. Please don't comment on the why, it's irrelevant to my question, as dumb as it might seem to you. I just do.

I would simply disable it myself but couldn't figure out how. It is a hand-sized plastic box with a strobe light protruding out of it. No screws. there are 2 tiny slits/holes on each side where the plastic box sits on the wall. I tried pushing them in but didn't work.

So even if state law says landlord must make sure they work, what's the landlord going to do if I disable it? Take me to court? I suppose they could refuse to renew my lease...

The only thing that would make me look positively to keeping it is if the whole system (building) working had the prerequisite of mine also being working (connected/wired) but I am sure the Super won't be straight with me about that.

No garages. This is a high-rise city tower building.

I called the manufacturer today but they seem to be a very big Co and I couldn't get to a technician. Plus they were asking for my contract number etc, so that's a no go.

I've been skimming several equivalent websites since the CA link from Sally but found nothing specific enough.

I checked my lease. There is a clause that says Lessor has installed them and will maintain them. But that Lessee must check them and notify malfunction and that lessee will allow lessor to periodically enter to check and repair. That Lessor is not responsible for damages as a result of malfunction that has not been reported by lessee.
In my reading of this it does not say that I have to keep them in working order. It says I must check that they are.

So what do you think? The question is - can I disable it without getting into legal trouble? It's in NJ.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 11:43 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
It does? The ones we had at work didn't. That would be annoying if they are inside the house, unless it's just a once a month test sort of thing.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by jmood
Yes, I want to cover up the strobe light permanently.

I also want to permanently disable the whole thing. It is so loud that even if the one in my apartment is off, the sound coming from the common hallway and the adjacent apartments can be heard. Please don't comment on the why, it's irrelevant to my question, as dumb as it might seem to you. I just do.

I would simply disable it myself but couldn't figure out how. It is a hand-sized plastic box with a strobe light protruding out of it. No screws. there are 2 tiny slits/holes on each side where the plastic box sits on the wall. I tried pushing them in but didn't work.

So even if state law says landlord must make sure they work, what's the landlord going to do if I disable it? Take me to court? I suppose they could refuse to renew my lease...

The only thing that would make me look positively to keeping it is if the whole system (building) working had the prerequisite of mine also being working (connected/wired) but I am sure the Super won't be straight with me about that.

No garages. This is a high-rise city tower building.

I called the manufacturer today but they seem to be a very big Co and I couldn't get to a technician. Plus they were asking for my contract number etc, so that's a no go.

I've been skimming several equivalent websites since the CA link from Sally but found nothing specific enough.

I checked my lease. There is a clause that says Lessor has installed them and will maintain them. But that Lessee must check them and notify malfunction and that lessee will allow lessor to periodically enter to check and repair. That Lessor is not responsible for damages as a result of malfunction that has not been reported by lessee.
In my reading of this it does not say that I have to keep them in working order. It says I must check that they are.

So what do you think? The question is - can I disable it without getting into legal trouble? It's in NJ.

If state code requires your landlord to have these alarms in the building, then he could face big fines if they are tampered with because these things are inspected without advance notice by city or state inspectors.

That seems unfair to your landlord who is only complying with the law, whether or not you yourself get into trouble.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.