Reload this Page >

Tech Director Lon > SF relocation questions

Tech Director Lon > SF relocation questions

Old Apr 20th 2014, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

jodvova is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tech Director Lon > SF relocation questions

Originally Posted by Bink
The payback clause for leaving within the first year and prorated in the second is standard and quite frankly very reasonable. I'll be perfectly honest, I wouldn't hire someone that tried to negotiate that. The company is making an investment in moving you and they require assurances you're not just using them for a visa and then going to take another job when you're here. Transferring a visa can be easier than getting a new one. I'd say if you're not comfortable with this clause then don't take the job.
L1 visa is not transferable.

He is bound to the company and they can do whatever they wish with him.

If he is fired, he would have to leave the country in 30 days or so with ZERO chance to remain.
Old Apr 20th 2014, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

jodvova is an unknown quantity at this point

anork,

Didn't understand from your posts, how long are you thinking to go to the US for ? a year, 2 or 5 ?

If you're planning on staying in the US long term, I would focus on negotiating on applying for a green card after 1-3 months.

A path from L1A to GC will probably take 6-12 months max, after that you're safe to stay in the US and change jobs.
Old Apr 20th 2014, 7:14 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Is that both ways? I can see why the company would want the employee to repay the company's investment if the employee decided to leave, but it seems harsh to me that the company can pay to move him over, decide it's not right, terminate him and ask for all the relocation costs back. Huge risk for the employee, and zero risk for the company.
Mine was worded that it was only repayable in the event of termination of employment by the company for gross misconduct. In any other event the company took the cost.
Old Apr 20th 2014, 7:21 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bink
Mine was worded that it was only repayable in the event of termination of employment by the company for gross misconduct. In any other event the company took the cost.
That seems better.
Old Apr 20th 2014, 10:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Begs the question what sort of meetings you have been doing that took 90 days.
Old Apr 20th 2014, 10:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't get a relocation package from Adobe. Instead they bumped up my salary to compensate.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

The bay area, and specifically SF is very expensive. You will struggle to find a reasonably priced apartment and somewhere to park a car and you will be at a major disadvantage to other likely renters as you will have no credit history.

As others have said, the relo package is meh and oddly worded. Most international relos I've been involved with give you a grossed-up amount of around $10k as a lump sum for your incidental expenses and they pay all the other costs (moving, visas, etc.) on top. Overall $180K is good but it won't go as far as you might think. I'd personally only agree to a repayment if you leave, not if they let you go. If they let you go you will have to leave the US anyway (visa tied to job) and having to repay that plus paying your own way back could be a deal breaker. Also if they are being difficult and unwilling to negotiate with you at this juncture, I can only imagine how they'll be once they have you by the knackers....

I absolutely would not take the job without some written assurances on how they intend to deal with the green card. Otherwise they can and probably will hold you to ransom (i.e. you will have no mobility or options; as you have said, they will hold all the cards). Also plan on 12-14 hour days, travel on your own time and a fair amount of uncompensated weekend work. It's pretty normal in corporate USA and especially in the valley.

On balance, if it was me I'd pass, but of course this is a life changing decision and only you can make the job (or not)....
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 10:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jodvova
anork,

Didn't understand from your posts, how long are you thinking to go to the US for ? a year, 2 or 5 ?

If you're planning on staying in the US long term, I would focus on negotiating on applying for a green card after 1-3 months.

A path from L1A to GC will probably take 6-12 months max, after that you're safe to stay in the US and change jobs.
And I think that is exactly the reason why the company is being so vague on the GC. I think the OP will find that once he is there, this discussion will morph from a perhaps to a no.