Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How have you been treated here as a Brit?

How have you been treated here as a Brit?

Old Apr 19th 2014, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How have you been treated here as a Brit?

My experience on the West coast is people love the accent. There's a good bit of banter with my workmates, even though when they try and mimick the accent they tend to go Australian, and I've noticed any pissed up Yank I run into will constantly shout cheerio at me. I've only been asked about 10 times if I've met the queen, would have thought it would be more than that.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 2:29 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brit_usa2014
Why do you want to change your perfectly good English Accent? I wouldn't want to give up my accent for an American one! We sound much better, but then again I am obviously biased. .....
In most cases, so far as I can tell, people don't have much choice in whether to change their accent, you're either "a changer" or you're not.

Despite spending almost my entire school life in state schools in Glaw-ster, and most (15) of the years before I emigrated in or near Landan, all those years did nothing to affect my slightly flattened Sheffield vowels that I acquired during the first 8 years of my life. I wouldn't choose to change my accent, but honestly, I don't think I could even if I wanted to. A fair number of the people who comment on my accent do seem to think I only arrived recently.

My sister, on the other hand, absorbs accents like a sponge and you can't tell from one week to the next what she will sound like; it seems to depend on what accents her friends and colleagues have.

Why the difference? Who knows? Your guess is as good as mine.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 19th 2014 at 2:33 am.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 6:03 am
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jonion
I already know lots of 'know-it-all' Americans, yet to meet one that's sarcastic though (in comparison to any Brit).
Don't hold your breath
You never will
Old Apr 19th 2014, 1:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brit_usa2014
From what I have learnt is, the general Americans don't know much about other countries (or rather their geography knowledge is quite poor). Some of them know only as far as Canada and that's about it!
Just as much as the Brits don't quite realize there's more to the US than Florida (or Disney World)
Old Apr 19th 2014, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Just as much as the Brits don't quite realize there's more to the US than Florida (or Disney World)
That really isn't even close to being the same.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 2:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

That really isn't even close to being the same.
Perhaps, but annoying just the same.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond repute

Well there's no disputing the fact that there are ignorant/ill-informed/uneducated people everywhere.

It's just the proportion that sometimes differs.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 4:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well there's no disputing the fact that there are ignorant/ill-informed/uneducated people everywhere.

It's just the proportion that sometimes differs.
The proportion isn't always the issue.... One ignorant person is enough.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute

In all of my 36 years here, I have always been treated in a friendly manner. I cannot ever remember being treated otherwise. Those who are of British ancestry, and from research know which place their ancestors lived, will invariably ask if I am familiar with that town. If I am, I will get asked all kinds of questions about it.
When I lived in Jersey, just across from Philly, I worked with a lot of guys of Italian descent, who ribbed me a lot around July 4. One guy was German, and he came across with a really sharp retort, which really shut them up. He turned to me and said "We Irish have to stick together don't we." I'm actually English.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 4:29 pm
Tib
Just Joined

Tib is an unknown quantity at this point

This week, my haul of My-British-English-Accent-Appreciating Americans is as follows (and this for an accent that's lived in the US for 45 years):

• 1 supermarket clerk about 50 years younger than I am: "I love the way you speak. I want to go to England."
  • 1 convenience store manager: "You're British, aren't you. I was stationed in Britain. I loved it." (He was one of the Marine guards at the Embassy in London.)
  • 1 waitress in a (Greek) diner: "Are you Greek? Oh, English? I like your voice."
  • 1 U.S. Senator, at an electronics-recycling event: "You have a beautiful accent. We're going to Britain this summer."
Old Apr 19th 2014, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

We have mostly been really well received here in Texas (once they've determined we're not a "Damn Yank" ).

However, this week my wife was shopping for dresses and in one of the stores got talking to another couple who asked her where she was from. When she said England the man said "Welcome to Texas", and when my wife told him that she had been here a long time he asked if she was a citizen, and when she said yes, he asked her if she paid taxes. Bloody Cheek!! (not anti-British, just anti-immigrant).

The first summer we lived here (1988) we had a great time on July 4th with our small children, going to the town's parade and being invited to the home of one of our neighbors who were having a big family BBQ. However, when we went home the day was spoiled somewhat by a small act of meanness. We had put small crossed flags on our mailbox at the start of the day, a Union Jack and a Stars & Stripes, and someone had cut up the Union Jack into pieces and scattered them over the lawn.

There is always a small minority of asses....
Old Apr 19th 2014, 5:34 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
...... One ignorant person is enough.
There is a minimum required level of ignorance?
Old Apr 19th 2014, 6:09 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

New insight into what people are thinking vs what they say: I was just in my local Walgreens, where I go 2/3 times a week, and the cashier was wishing each customer "Happy Easter" instead of the usual "Be Well".

My turn came, she said "Happy Thanksgiving".

I had not noticed, but she corrected herself when someone behind my started sniggering
Old Apr 19th 2014, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
There is a minimum required level of ignorance?
Guaranteed levels of doubt and uncertainty.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by durham_lad
The first summer we lived here (1988) we had a great time on July 4th with our small children, going to the town's parade and being invited to the home of one of our neighbors who were having a big family BBQ. .
At our new place the small local community have a regatta thing on one of the lakes on July 4th. Would it be rude of me to dress up a boat like a battleship with Union Jack and take back the territory?

There is always a small minority of asses...
Ahhhh... given the above scenario I think that may be me then

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.