Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Any British on here who are living in Florida?

Any British on here who are living in Florida?

Old Apr 19th 2014, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

WriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any British on here who are living in Florida?

I also get, 'Americans are really fake.'

And when I ask why they think that, they tell me it is because Americans always smile and act like they are happy, and try to talk to them, and they always act like they are so friendly.

That is the most depressing thing ever... People who smile, and seem happy, and interested in others, and behave in a friendly manner... Are automatically Being Fake?

Ummmm... Huh?!

OK.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 1:06 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WriterChick
Hmmm... um... No.

I am fine with France, and the French. I'm also fine with the British!!!
Fit in in the UK tip #1. Be rude about the French.

It isn't as though it were real. They are rude about us, too. We both love it.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 1:07 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

I also get, 'Americans are really fake.'

And when I ask why they think that, they tell me it is because Americans always smile and act like they are happy, and try to talk to them, and they always act like they are so friendly.

That is the most depressing thing ever... People who smile, and seem happy, and interested in others, and behave in a friendly manner... Are automatically Being Fake?

Ummmm... Huh?!

OK.
It's a cultural difference. The British and the Americans ostensibly speak the same language but the culture is radically different. That particular bit of American style is very unlike much of British style, therefore it can seem unreal to the British.

PS: You might often notice that in the UK what is not said or overtly expressed is a lot more important than what is. We value what is simply understood among us without the need to say it. In fact, the saying of it often weakens it. Understanding this important cultural difference will help make you happier in London.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Apr 19th 2014 at 1:15 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 1:34 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Fit in in the UK tip #1. Be rude about the French.

It isn't as though it were real. They are rude about us, too. We both love it.
Makes me laugh when I hear people say that we should get over the north-south divide of the US civil war. I point out that Britain and France still haven't got over the Norman conquest, and that was nearly 1,000 years ago, and that the wars of the roses were ove 500 years ago and there is still rivalry between Yorkshire and Lancashire.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

WriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah... Sadly I'm not psychic, so I am constantly lost by the 'What we have NOT said IS what we ARE actually talking about' art form of the UK.

Especially as a New Yorker.

Anyway, we are moving to the USA, where neither of us will need psychic abilities to navigate everyday interactions, and where I will therefore be considered much less obtuse!!!

Thank you though!!!
Old Apr 19th 2014, 1:51 pm

Yeah... Sadly I'm not psychic, so I am constantly lost by the 'What we have NOT said IS what we ARE actually talking about' art form of the UK.

Especially as a New Yorker.

Anyway, we are moving to the USA, where neither of us will need psychic abilities to navigate everyday interactions, and where I will therefore be considered much less obtuse!!!

Thank you though!!!
I've lived in New York. I found it incredibly rude and aggressive when I first arrived compared to London. Once I worked out that you were all as foreign as the French and learned your culture accordingly it was fine. It isn't a matter of being psychic, just of being receptive and attentive and understanding that people are different from what you are used to.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah, New Yorkers will tell you what they think and feel.

Which can be good, or very, very bad, depending... But, you WILL clearly have that information, be it positive or negative.

The difference is that in one instance, for example in NYC, you ARE being given the information, and in the other instance, in the UK, you are NOT being given the information.

I would expect it is easier to understand things when you are given the information, rather than when you are expected to somehow infer the information.

I think inferring information, especially in a new culture, is harder than simply receiving information.

At least, that has been my experience here, and that is basically how I feel about it all.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 2:10 pm

Yeah, New Yorkers will tell you what they think and feel.

Which can be good, or very, very bad, depending... But, you WILL clearly have that information, be it positive or negative.

The difference is that in one instance, for example in NYC, you ARE being given the information, and in the other instance, in the UK, you are NOT being given the information.

I would expect it is easier to understand things when you are given the information, rather than when you are expected to somehow infer the information.

I think inferring information, especially in a new culture, is harder than simply receiving information.

At least, that has been my experience here, and that is basically how I feel about it all.
It's all about what you are used to. To us, our system is easily understandable because we grew up with it just as you grew up with yours. You say that Americans are more direct, but British with no experience of the culture other than visitors don't know that. So they think that what is on the surface is just that - superficial - and they are looking for something else. You can see how the wires get crossed.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

OH... You just seriously clarified something for me!

Thank you for that.

OK, wow... So... They are looking for the subtext that is not there, and when they see it is not there, and that, 'I like your shoes' just means that the person likes their shoes... it sort of... throws them?

They are basically often thinking to themselves, 'What is this conversation REALLY about?'

Great... now a large population of UK women suspect they've been hit on by a crazy American woman on the Tube... HAHA!!!

No wonder they looked SO FREAKED OUT.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 2:20 pm

OH... You just seriously clarified something for me!

Thank you for that.

OK, wow... So... They are looking for the subtext that is not there, and when they see it is not there, and that, 'I like your shoes' just means that the person likes their shoes... it sort of... throws them?

They are basically often thinking to themselves, 'What is this conversation REALLY about?'

Great... now a large population of UK women suspect they've been hit on by a crazy American woman on the Tube... HAHA!!!

No wonder they looked SO FREAKED OUT.

You TALK to people on the Tube???

Old Apr 19th 2014, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

Hahahaha... no, apparently I'm hitting on women on the Tube!!!

In NYC, for most natives, if someone comes up to you on the train, and asks you about your bowel movements, in front of everyone, it is not considered rude... it is considered funny... and we would usually answer, for the fun of it.

I can see why 99% of the planet would consider New Yorkers rude, at best... more likely insane...

In London, talking to anyone, for any reason, who you don't already know... is considered rude.

I think Florida is a good 'Middle Ground'.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 9:01 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I had better add a few word of wisdom in this dross

be very good to the person to the most important
person in your Florida life
knowing who that is .. makes life good

I now rest

SUE ...two is the minimum
Old Apr 19th 2014, 11:33 pm
A Cockney Floridian

Location: Originally-Leyton E10,London, then Harlow new town, Essex, and eventually ended up in Orlando area
callowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
I would just change the subject and start complaining about the French instead. Something everyone can agree on.
What about Ze Germans !?
Old Apr 20th 2014, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by callowman
What about Ze Germans !?
The French are funny and safe. Germans can be risky.

I did mention the war once but I think I got away with it.
Old Apr 20th 2014, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by Ray

be very good to the person to the most important
person in your Florida life
knowing who that is .. makes life good
Buy Joyce a new lawnmower did you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.