North Cyprus

Old Feb 10th 2014, 8:50 am
Just Joined

loopylou1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: North Cyprus

Hi Sheila, Dan (our son) is ok with it. He will miss his friends but with the Internet and x box live he can talk to them daily! !! Seriously, he's a very sociable boy and I don't think he'll have trouble making new friends. He loves the outdoors and I think he'll have a great time exploring. We were originally looking at both Spain and trnc but his preference is Cyprus! !! We've only been a couple of times but as our friends own there it was more like living than being on hols! !! We already have quite a few contacts both turkish cypriots and ex pats. Sandra
Old Feb 10th 2014, 9:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mint1955
Hi Troubadour, warts and all is North Cyprus it has it's problems and pitfalls. But it's beautiful and the local people are lovely?

In essence rent don't buy when you first go. Winter can be uncomfortable as the houses are built for heat in summer so in the winter there are times it's damp and cold indoors unless you plan well. Log burners etc are available and as I say planning for it means it's just a bit different.
Work is difficult to get and generally very poorly paid unless you start your own business but then you need a Turkish Cypriot partner and a large bond deposit. Upside is the cost of living although rising is still low, the weather is good all year apart from the rains in Feb/march but it's not all the time or everyday. It's still lovely to go out for walks etc. shopping and eating is basic but improving.
Thanks for your reply.I wouldn't be interested in working there. Nor in all probability in buying. I'm aware of the political pitfalls that some UK buyers have found themselves in with regards to the legal aspects.

I wonder how cold it gets? Don't care for dampness in any sense, so that would be a consideration. I guess only way to get a true is to spend a part of a winter there. Otherwise make it a six month summer stay as some tend to do.
Having more than enough sun at the present location does not make it the prime factor though. More a relaxed, friendly place with ambiance and a vibe.
Also a varied population base. Would like a mixed bunch of expats as we speak German and French besides English. Would hope to learn Turkish as well of course and perhaps basic Greek for the other side.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 9:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mint1955
Remember North Cyprus is not EU it is run by Turkey and still uses the Turkish Lira. The laws and beurocracy are a minefield and you can only stay in North Cyprus for 90 days unless you apply for residency which has its whole own set of rules and hoop jumping lol nothing is impossible and I can't wait to be a permanent part of it all.
Yes will have to re examine the legal immigration requirements again. Hopefully sufficient funds and not seeking work and being over 50 will ease the way, if we did decide to go ahead.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 9:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So it would appear contact is rather easy to make with the local folk. That would infer that many speak English at least to an extent.
Is corruption an issue to be wary off there. I mean more than usual?

Have you folk experienced the Greek side? We had only a short stay. I liked the island but didn't find the locals particularly friendly. Indifferent more the case.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 10:07 am
Just Joined

Hi troubadour, as said the locals, certainly the ones that we have met, are lovely. The majority of the people we met speak English and we did meet a few Germans as well so you can put your deutsch to good use as well!!! As I understand it the crime rate is very low in Cyprus so, hopefully, not too much corruption! !! Are you Australian or originally from somewhere else? Sandra
Old Feb 10th 2014, 10:19 am
Just Joined

Hi Sheila, can I ask do you normally fly to the south or in to Ercan? We've only ever flown in to larnaca and crossed the border. Sandra
Old Feb 10th 2014, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

Mint1955 is an unknown quantity at this point

Troubadour, lots of Local Turkish Cypriots and Turkish people speak some English. There are many Norweigians, Germans and Russians living there. Weather wise it goes down to around 6 or 7degrees at night. You can get lovely bright sunny days but as I said damp evenings mean air con on hot or a log burner etc. we have been to the South but it doesn't have the same atmosphere and charm for us.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

Sandra, we go Larnaca or Ercan depending on price and times. Larnaca is a £50 taxi transfer each way so we always add that when looking at prices. Taxi transfer for us is just around the hour mark. If we fly into Ercan then the hire car is there ready and it's a 30 minute drive for us to home.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 2:52 pm
Just Joined

Yes, we pay £50 each way for the taxi too. I will have a look at the ercan flights. Which airline and airport do they fly from? Sandra
Old Feb 10th 2014, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

Best for us is Pegasus Stansted to Ercan. Touch down in Turkey but no change of plane just sit on plane for between 25 - 40 minutes depending on which Turkish Airport we drop into. Luggage allowance included but no meals but we are ok with that.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 3:09 pm
Just Joined

There are many forum for North Cyprus here are a few if it will help.

http://www.lemongrovecyprus.com
http://kibkomnorthcyprusforum.com
http://northcyprusforum.net
Old Feb 10th 2014, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that Sheila. We must keep in touch and if we're over at the same time in May perhaps we could meet up for a drink!!! Sandra
Old Feb 10th 2014, 3:55 pm
Just Joined

Either private message me on here or if you ever get to Bluewater we could meet for a coffee.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 4:51 pm
Just Joined

How do you private message? I do get to bluewater occasionally, I'll let you know. Do you ever go into Dartford? I work there. Sandra
Old Feb 10th 2014, 4:52 pm
Just Joined

I've just found out how to private message! !! Lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.