Goa

Old Jan 30th 2014, 8:18 pm
Account Closed

dragon1954 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Goa

I'm interested in going to Goa for a 4 week vacation this year. Never been to India before. Would appreciate your input to help me prepare for my holiday.

- Should I book accommodation before arrival or is it easy to find reasonably
cheap/good accommodation on arrival?

- What are the places of interest to visit?

- Do I need to be vaccinated or need anti malarial medication for India?

- Is it cheap to eat out? (I will be changing AUD's)

- Is it safe? (I am a 60 year old woman travelling alone).

Anything else that you may think is important when considering a holiday in Goa. Thanks very much.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 9:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GOA

Originally Posted by dragon1954
I'm interested in going to Goa for a 4 week vacation this year. Never been to India before. Would appreciate your input to help me prepare for my holiday.

Anything else that you may think is important when considering a holiday in Goa. Thanks very much.
Rather too many questions to answer in one post.
Goa is an Indian state not town and each 'area' is different.

Also people who read this forum either live in Goa or have spent time each year there for decades so might find it difficult to view through the eyes of a newcomer.

I would suggest general research about Goa and possibly look at Tripadvisor Forum or IndiaMike travel Forum and then come back with specific questions which I am sure will be answered.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 12:03 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GOA

Hi dragon. I'll shift your topic into the Goa section as you may get more response in there.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

Vagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Goa

I would accommodation book in advance so you have a base

Little Vagator, Anjuna flea market, Panaji, Mapusa local market buy Lonely Planet guide to Goa from Amazon and read it all, great guide in all.

Yes you will need vaccinations such as Typhoid, Cholera, Polio, and possibly others see a health professional or Doctor in Oz at least 3 weeks before you go and anti-malarials and use DEET to avoid getting bitten in the first place.

Yes it is one of the cheapest world destinations typically a meal is around £3.00 - £4.00 and Short taxi journeys start from £1.00 upwards.

Safe.. well the roads are not that safe, as a lone woman do nothing that you would not do at home and you will probably be ok. i.e. cover up, wear modest clothing, do not be overly trusting, be self aware, do not wear loads of expensive jewelry, apply common sense and do not walk about alone at night in back streets etc. Befriend a good and reliable taxi driver who has seat belts that work installed.

Prepare well and it should be a nice holiday. Just avoid getting sick when you are there i.e. stomach problems.

Never drink from a tap (and check all clean water bottle seals are untampered with and never keep tap water for washing or whatever in those bottles, ever), close mouth in shower brush teeth with bottled water, have lots of rehydration salts with you and get a good Doctors number (Dr Dukle is recommended on here). Check cutlery, glasses, plates before using it so there are no water drops in them. (often washed in the local polluted water supply)

I stick to boiled food only, that means I keep away from dairy products (except individually wrapped butter portions) ice cubes, fresh juices (drinking coconut is ok) and all salads are off bounds and have been fine for numerous visits.
No Lassi's, no yoghurts.. or fesh fruit and I drink only water and soft drinks in bottles using a drinking straw.

Take pro and/or pre biotic tablets before you go, they will reinforce your good bacterial stomach flora and give you better protection.

Better to be safe than sorry, especially traveling alone, prevention is definitely better than dealing with being ill on your own in India.

In India you can get things you cannot get rid of like stomach parasites so just be vigilant.

I obviously miss the fresh fruit but I can eat plenty when I get home just not worth being ill in India.

Last edited by Vagatorsunset; Jan 31st 2014 at 12:44 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 1:04 pm
Banned

wookiebt is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds lovely, doesn't it?

(not sure what harm will come from a self-peeled banana/orange/apple/pineapple/etc?)

Do all ex-pats live like this? (I certainly didn't, would have gone mad!)

Main question going through my mind........... when is the OP planning to visit?
Old Jan 31st 2014, 1:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wookiebt
Sounds lovely, doesn't it?

(not sure what harm will come from a self-peeled banana/orange/apple/pineapple/etc?)

Do all ex-pats live like this? (I certainly didn't, would have gone mad!)

Main question going through my mind........... when is the OP planning to visit?
Other question where?/ which part of Goa? North and far South completely different for a holiday visit.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 2:53 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat
Other question where?/ which part of Goa? North and far South completely different for a holiday visit.
As Dragon is looking for info, I imagine Dragon would appreciate knowing the differences, as I would actually
Old Feb 1st 2014, 3:06 am
Account Closed

Thanks everyone.
Well shows how ignorant I am, I thought that Goa was a small tourist destination.....North or South??? I wouldn't have a clue! Certainly need to do a bit of reading up on Goa.

What I want is a nice area for a relaxing holiday within easy reach of Indian culture. I would like to get a taste of what India is all about, without being confronted constantly with poverty. I don't want to stay in a 5 star hotel, just something that is moderately priced, but clean and in a safe area.

I certainly do not want to get sick while I'm over there and so the comments about what to eat and drink have been much appreciated. Shame that you need to be so vigilant about what you consume as usually for me part of the joy of travelling is to try all the different foods.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 3:10 am
Account Closed

Vagatorsunset

I really appreciate the time that you put into my reply. I will certainly buy a Lonely Planet book and do further research into the areas that you have suggested.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 3:13 am

Thanks everyone.
Well shows how ignorant I am, I thought that Goa was a small tourist destination.....North or South??? I wouldn't have a clue! Certainly need to do a bit of reading up on Goa.
Yep, I'm the same...totally clueless. I imagine that Bipat will be back with some North/South info when she is back on the board. I think it has been mentioned on the Goa section before, but cannot remember where.

Be interested to hear from others re the food situation. Do you really have to watch out so much?

I am also slightly surprised about the meal prices. I had it in my head that Goa was way way cheaper than Penang (where I live), but we can get meals in the foodcourt here for equivalent of less than GBP 1. OK...if you go to a pukka restaurant, it will cost more. Just a bit surprised. I wonder if meals in a "local" Goan eatery would be cheaper?
Old Feb 1st 2014, 6:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Yep, I'm the same...totally clueless. I imagine that Bipat will be back with some North/South info when she is back on the board. I think it has been mentioned on the Goa section before, but cannot remember where.

Be interested to hear from others re the food situation. Do you really have to watch out so much?

I am also slightly surprised about the meal prices. I had it in my head that Goa was way way cheaper than Penang (where I live), but we can get meals in the foodcourt here for equivalent of less than GBP 1. OK...if you go to a pukka restaurant, it will cost more. Just a bit surprised. I wonder if meals in a "local" Goan eatery would be cheaper?
Wasn't meaning to be dismissive but dragon would need to do a little preliminary reading about Goa, As I said it is a state with cities and towns 'tourist' beaches and villages. It is not in any way typical of any other Indian state (was held by the Portuguese until relatively recently).
Tourism has overtaken much of, particularly North Goa where there would be less "local" eateries.
There will certainly be poverty but many foreign tourists who do not leave the beaches will not see it .
Monsoon will make some months unsuitable for beach stay.
As I said I could write a book rather than a post, so will be more than happy to answer any specific questions.

(Northern beaches the haunt of package tourists from UK and Russia, with night life etc. ---South more for independent traveller.)

Last edited by Bipat; Feb 1st 2014 at 7:34 am. Reason: Addition
Old Feb 1st 2014, 7:34 pm
Account Closed

Thanks Bipat,

Yes you are right......I certainly do need to do some reading on Goa. My assumptions about the place have been so wrong. Sounds a little bit disappointing when it is described as "Benidorm" and over run with Russians! I lived in Spain in the late 60's early 70's but was so disappointed when I returned a number of years ago to see the over development of the place and so many Russians living and holidaying there. Oh, I suppose thats progress!!
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 5:08 am
Forum Regular

GermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Well, from what I can tell, it basically boils (sic!) down to a matter of common sense.
Don't eat meat at a beach shack where they have only one fridge (wherein they also store the beverages) and a stove with 2 flames.
Frequent power outages (often unnoticed, over night) will do the rest.
Stay away from "Chicken Lasagne" and minced meat in general, for these very reasons, unless you're at a place where you know that they have backup generators and are trustworthy.

Another issue is the water. Stay away from ice cubes and such (and salads) unless there are lots of foreigners there ordering the same stuff as you.

I've disregarded this own advice of mine a couple of times and paid dearly for that on almost each occasion. Otherwise, it's not that unsafe.
Make sure you eat only at crowded places, the turnover will make sure that what you get is fresh.

My 2 Rupees.
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 9:01 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by GermanFool
Well, from what I can tell, it basically boils (sic!) down to a matter of common sense.
Don't eat meat at a beach shack where they have only one fridge (wherein they also store the beverages) and a stove with 2 flames.
Frequent power outages (often unnoticed, over night) will do the rest.
Stay away from "Chicken Lasagne" and minced meat in general, for these very reasons, unless you're at a place where you know that they have backup generators and are trustworthy.

Another issue is the water. Stay away from ice cubes and such (and salads) unless there are lots of foreigners there ordering the same stuff as you.

I've disregarded this own advice of mine a couple of times and paid dearly for that on almost each occasion. Otherwise, it's not that unsafe.
Make sure you eat only at crowded places, the turnover will make sure that what you get is fresh.

My 2 Rupees.
oooohhh.....does not sound good!!!!

I am so used to travelling overseas and enjoying the food!!

Thank you for your advise.
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 9:07 am
Account Closed

Would just like to get an idea of what Goa is like. North/South tourist/non tourist. I live in Australia so expect a certain level of good hygiene etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.