Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

Form "C" - who needs to fill? please help clarify

Form "C" - who needs to fill? please help clarify

Old Jan 3rd 2014, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

Shasha is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Form "C" - who needs to fill? please help clarify

Hello,

I have friends visiting and staying with me (from the UK). I own my place and therefore they are not "renting", just staying with me. do they need to fill out a C form? They will be here for a week, but one of them for two months. And what if they don't fill one out? What happens?

The rules are unclear and people do not get notified at the airport about this requirement. Can anyone shed light on this please? Thanks.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 10:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Form "C" - who needs to fill? please help clarify

Originally Posted by Shasha
Hello,

I have friends visiting and staying with me (from the UK). I own my place and therefore they are not "renting", just staying with me. do they need to fill out a C form? They will be here for a week, but one of them for two months. And what if they don't fill one out? What happens?

The rules are unclear and people do not get notified at the airport about this requirement. Can anyone shed light on this please? Thanks.
According to the Registration of Foreigners Act 1939 and repeated in the Rules 1992 -- the rough wording is -- Any person having the management of any hotel, boarding house, sarai or like premises is required to report etc. (Form C)

When this law was introduced it included private homes and there was an 'outcry' and an amendment was made within days, excluding private homes.
When this matter was discussed on IM I found a link to the amendment but unfortunately didn't keep it and now can't find it.

We for years have been staying in relatives or friends houses in various cities often unplanned and often just overnight it would be totally impractical for them to rush out and get a C Form. (OH only just got OCI last year).
This applies to hundreds of foreign visitors many with families in India. So therefore the reason for the amendment.

Last edited by Bipat; Jan 3rd 2014 at 10:53 am. Reason: Word missed out.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bipat
According to the Registration of Foreigners Act 1939 and repeated in the Rules 1992 -- the rough wording is -- Any person having the management of any hotel, boarding house, sarai or like premises is required to report etc. (Form C)

When this law was introduced it included private homes and there was an 'outcry' and an amendment was made within days, excluding private homes.
When this matter was discussed on IM I found a link to the amendment but unfortunately didn't keep it and now can't find it.

We for years have been staying in relatives or friends houses in various cities often unplanned and often just overnight it would be totally impractical for them to rush out and get a C Form. (OH only just got OCI last year).
This applies to hundreds of foreign visitors many with families in India. So therefore the reason for the amendment.
That is so helpful - thanks a lot! Saves lots of forms, photos and rushing off to Calangute police station.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 12:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

That is so helpful - thanks a lot! Saves lots of forms, photos and rushing off to Calangute police station.
On further worrying thought, as you are living in a, very much, tourist area and if your visitors are friends, not relatives how would you prove that they are not paying you rent if some unpleasant person reports you to the police as a 'landlord'. (The onus is on the landlord to submit the form). No answer to that unfortunately.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

On further worrying thought, as you are living in a, very much, tourist area and if your visitors are friends, not relatives how would you prove that they are not paying you rent if some unpleasant person reports you to the police as a 'landlord'. (The onus is on the landlord to submit the form). No answer to that unfortunately.
Actually, they are family of sorts...!

Do you know why exactly the law was introduced? Thanks
Old Jan 4th 2014, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

Also, what about foreigners who own places in Goa and visit for a few months at a time? Do they have to fill it out too?
Old Jan 4th 2014, 6:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Also, what about foreigners who own places in Goa and visit for a few months at a time? Do they have to fill it out too?
No, I don't know why the law was introduced originally, but it is now used to track movements of foreigners -- with registration, mainly those who intend to stay more than 180 days.
The 'C' form is the responsibility of a landlord/ hotel owner etc. that is, places where payment is involved.
The Act doesn't cover present day foreign house owners, I presume it hasn't really been updated, but I have read that more on-line data is to be kept.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 3:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

leavinggoa is a jewel in the roughleavinggoa is a jewel in the roughleavinggoa is a jewel in the roughleavinggoa is a jewel in the roughleavinggoa is a jewel in the rough

I "own" my flat but I have always filled a Form C. Better than an argument with the police.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 7:27 pm
Banned

wookiebt is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by leavinggoa
I "own" my flat but I have always filled a Form C. Better than an argument with the police.
Completely agree.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by wookiebt
Completely agree.
Don't agree at all, you can't 'rent' to yourself; you don't pay yourself, you are NOT in the business of running or managing a guest-house etc.
If you 'own' your flat/house you should be on an X visa and should register with the FR[R]O - an RP trumps a 'C' form!

AndyD 8-)
Old Jan 5th 2014, 9:46 am
Banned

Good in principle, but how many non Indian origin are on X visa?
Old Jan 5th 2014, 12:57 pm
Banned

Didn't you only get a 6 month X this year, instead of your usual 12 month?
Old Jan 5th 2014, 5:33 pm
Just Joined

DecipherDivinti is an unknown quantity at this point

you dont need to fill out any c form's. . plain and simple if you own the property not needed.
however if any unfortunate event.. you may be stuck since you wont know the right things in terms of lawful knowledge to throw at cops.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 11:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Form "C" - who needs to fill? please help clarify

Hello,

Having read some of the replies there seems, as usual, various opinions about this matter. Having talked to Goan friends here I would always recommend anyone staying here to complete the form C as it is easy to complete and takes a few minutes to have signed in the local police station. If you are driving or even just involved in some problem the police will ask for it. The owner signs it or if you own the property you sign as the manager. It should be done as soon as possible after arrival.
Its not a big problem and all of our security here is built around following the rules whatever we might think of them.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 3:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chrisjolly
Having read some of the replies there seems, as usual, various opinions about this matter. Having talked to Goan friends here I would always recommend anyone staying here to complete the form C as it is easy to complete and takes a few minutes to have signed in the local police station. If you are driving or even just involved in some problem the police will ask for it. The owner signs it or if you own the property you sign as the manager. It should be done as soon as possible after arrival.
Its not a big problem and all of our security here is built around following the rules whatever we might think of them.
Interesting replies above...I own my property and my guests are family/friends and certainly not paying anything! I think bipat's response was very helpful as it quotes the law and not practice, if you see what I mean...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.