Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is misspelling on green card a problem ?

Is misspelling on green card a problem ?

Old Oct 17th 2009, 1:05 am
Forum Regular

LadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud ofLadyKat1974 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Is misspelling on green card a problem ?

I know every case is different but IF USCIS makes the error, YOU will have NO COST out of pocket except for since you say you travel alot that you are recommended going to your office and asking for a stamp in your passport. My greencard had the wrong "resident since date" and I didn't pay anything to get it fixed. My local USCIS office were kind enough to get me a stamp in my passport to show my legal status. Best of luck getting it fixed as you could run into problems further down the line.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 1:19 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

You went here right? http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0045f3d6a1RCRD
Old Oct 17th 2009, 1:22 am
ILM
Forum Regular

ILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really nice

Originally Posted by Poppy girl

Yes , and if you go to the bottom of that page and down load the PDF you will see the date has expired on the top right of the I-90 form.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 1:25 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ILM
Yes , and if you go to the bottom of that page and down load the PDF you will see the date has expired on the top right of the I-90 form.
Good catch I would never of noticed.
I suppose if you can't get a valid one on the actual USCIS site theres no hope lol.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 1:41 am
ILM
Forum Regular

ILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really nice

I have been caught out before by these expiry dates, but have spotted them before filing the form, on the previous occasion I was able to find an up to date form that I was able to fill out instead. I'm struggling to find a form this time.
I will continue my search another time.

ok just looking at the form and i have a question OR 3,

IN PART 2 UNDER MY STATUS, I will check the box A. PERMANENT RESIDENT (not a commuter) , is this correct?

it asks in part 3 "city of residence where you applied for an immigrant visa or adjustment status".
where would this be here or UK, I assume its here in NY, but i dont live in a city. SO WOULD I NEED TO PUT THE TOWN I LIVE IN?

then the next box to it says "consulate where immigrant visa was issued", I'm not sure , is that Buffalo (my local office) or Vermont where i sent all my paperwork?
Old Oct 17th 2009, 2:27 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose if you can't get a valid one on the actual USCIS site theres no hope lol.
It says quite clearly previous editions accepted

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...00b92ca60aRCRD
Old Oct 17th 2009, 2:32 am

Originally Posted by Ray
It says quite clearly previous editions accepted

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...00b92ca60aRCRD
FFS I wish you had told me that an hour ago been searching the web for an update.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 2:34 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ILM
The date at the top of the form is not the form's expiration, it's the OMB thingie (never do remember what that expiration is about). What you care about is at the bottom right of the page, the revision date. Then you check the download page to see which version is current. I see version 4/16/09, which tracks with what is posted on the 'versions' page Ray posted.

That form is valid.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 12:50 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Please note that the law requires you to keep your green card on your person at all times and to RETURN the green card to DHS for correction.
Am I missing the point, or are you pointing out that the law requires the OP to perform two, mutually exclusive, acts?
Old Oct 17th 2009, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Am I missing the point, or are you pointing out that the law requires the OP to perform two, mutually exclusive, acts?
Nope, you've got it. Immigration law has the "tea + no tea" requirement down pat.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 2:37 pm
ILM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ILM

IN PART 2 UNDER MY STATUS, I will check the box A. PERMANENT RESIDENT (not a commuter) , is this correct?

it asks in part 3 "city of residence where you applied for an immigrant visa or adjustment status".
where would this be here or UK, I assume its here in NY, but i dont live in a city. SO WOULD I NEED TO PUT THE TOWN I LIVE IN?

then the next box to it says "consulate where immigrant visa was issued", I'm not sure , is that Buffalo (my local office) or Vermont where i sent all my paperwork?
I wrote this and the replies seems to of been overlooked, can anyone shed some light please
Old Nov 5th 2009, 4:25 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ILM
I have been caught out before by these expiry dates, but have spotted them before filing the form, on the previous occasion I was able to find an up to date form that I was able to fill out instead. I'm struggling to find a form this time.
I will continue my search another time.

I will check the box A. PERMANENT RESIDENT correct
dont know your history to tell you others
Old Nov 6th 2009, 11:08 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ILM
I wrote this and the replies seems to of been overlooked, can anyone shed some light please
Hi:

Unless you live in Canada and work in the United States crossing every day, you are not a "commuter".

If you applied for an immigrant visa abroad -- you put in the UK city. If you applied for adjustment in the United States, answer the questions appropriately.

Don't get too pedantic on "town" v. "city." In fact, I would use whatever was in your postal address, whether it be a village, town, etc. In fact, here in Los Angeles, a person living in Encino will put down Encino as the "city" of residence even though Encino is part of the City of Los Angeles. Or a person living in the area the local realtors call "Post Office" will put down Beverly Hills even though they live in the City of Los Angeles and not in the City of Beverly Hills.

Last edited by Folinskyinla; Nov 6th 2009 at 11:12 am.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 6:00 pm
ILM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Unless you live in Canada and work in the United States crossing every day, you are not a "commuter".

If you applied for an immigrant visa abroad -- you put in the UK city. If you applied for adjustment in the United States, answer the questions appropriately.

Don't get too pedantic on "town" v. "city." In fact, I would use whatever was in your postal address, whether it be a village, town, etc.

Thank you all for the information that only make our lives easier.

Ok heres how my day went.

I 1st printed off the I-90 document and the copy for evidence of my previously filled out I-751(to prove it wasn't my mistake).
then went online and requested my info pass appointment with the Buffalo immigration office. that was for 10am today.
I drove to within 10 miles of the city and dropped off my car at the park and ride, then proceeded to take the tube into the city.
I, not knowing the area too well , got off the trolley ride 4 stops too far and had a substantial walk, on my arrival at the offices 10 mins late, I admitted to having a camera in my pocket which they say I couldn't bring into the building, they said i would have to return to my car and leave it there, hmmm I asked if he would hold it for me and he insisted he could not and said he would destroy it, so I had to leave.

Just outside the building was some huge construction work, so I asked a worker to hold my camera for 15 mins, he was kind enough to accept the challenge. so back inside I go. this time making it past security.
I was sitting at a window pretty quick and explained the mistake on my card and showed the I-90 that I was about to post, I asked for a stamp in my passport, she said she couldn't do it without proof of me posting the I-90 and card, I tried to explain I would be breaking the rules if I did not carry my card at all times, and need the stamp before the card could leave my possession, again she insisted I posted the document 1st and then I could return for the stamp.
I had to leave again but this time she told me there was a post office just round the corner.
I left the building, picking up my camera from the builder outside and proceeded to said post office.
On arrival I secured an envelope off the shelf and wrote out the address for the Phoenix branch, also filling out the part for the registered signed for slip, then stuffed it with I-90 ,I-751 & green card.
on my return to the offices, I once again took advantage of the big guy in the hard hat & left my camera with him.
Once inside the lady who served me before, served me again and with the evidence of the postage slip gave me the required stamp in my passport , valid for 1 year.
so after only a little messing about all went well in the end, hopefully green card will be here soon, spelt correctly this time.
My advice to anyone trying this, or any other visit is go armed with all paperwork, this way I was able to accomplish it all in pretty much 1 visit.

OH and dont take you camera into the city, after all it wasn't a sight seeing trip.

Thanks Again all ILM