Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

In To-day's Newspapers

In To-day's Newspapers

Old Sep 19th 2008, 7:58 am
Banned

Location: Goring-by-Sea,West Sussex, Algarve,Portugal and Cochin,Kerala
Blue_Max is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: In To-day's Newspapers

Originally Posted by hemingway
If that indeed turns out to be the case, I wonder how many shack menus we will see this season in: FRENCH, GERMAN, ITALIAN, CHINESE, JAPANESE etc etc OR will it be the usual ENGLISH & RUSSIAN. . . . . . . . . .

Propaganda again?

Regards

Hemingway (Northern Riff-Raff)
Most of them are better type of tourists. They don't live shacks.
Goans had enough of their small state turned into a cheap destination and a place of disrepute by shack dwelling, drug ridden 'riff-raff'.

Times a they are a changing ....
Old Sep 19th 2008, 8:05 am
I love apathy!

hemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Blue_Max
Most of them are better type of tourists. They don't live shacks. Goans had enough of their small state turned into a cheap destination and a place of disrepute by shack dwelling, drug ridden 'riff-raff'. Times a they are a changing ....
The drugs that YOU are taking are obviously causing the hallucinations that you are having. When I've been to the Taj, The Leela, The Park Hyatt & The Marriot (all in the South) for meals I can't remember noticing any nationalities other that British, Indian & Russian. . . .

You are right though: Times a they are a changing ... to worse ones for Goa.

Hemingway (Northern Riff Raff - 'just say no to drugs')
Old Sep 19th 2008, 8:27 am

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

The drugs that YOU are taking are obviously causing the hallucinations that you are having. When I've been to the Taj, The Leela, The Park Hyatt & The Marriot (all in the South) for meals I can't remember noticing any nationalities other that British, Indian & Russian. . . .

You are right though: Times a they are a changing ... to worse ones for Goa.

Hemingway (Northern Riff Raff - 'just say no to drugs')
dONT SAY I am going through all this stress, just because I bought a shack. Oh boy conned again.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 8:50 am
I love apathy!

hemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by noni
dONT SAY I am going through all this stress, just because I bought a shack. Oh boy conned again.
Noni - I hope you did proper research before buying your shack and didn't trust a Goan advocate. . . . . . . . .

Hemingway
Old Sep 19th 2008, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Blue_Max
Most of them are better type of tourists. They don't live shacks.
Goans had enough of their small state turned into a cheap destination and a place of disrepute by shack dwelling, drug ridden 'riff-raff'.

times are a changing indeed. Locals and 'riff raff' tourists fit the description above!. Cannot remember a time when it was otherwise. Goa is not a destination, it is a way of life. Which is why Goans and non Goans love it!!!!. The latest craze "red lipstick on a pig" doesnt change the pig into a princess. Goa was cheap before tourists.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 12:38 pm
Account Closed

Goacrazy56 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wheatsheaf
times are a changing indeed. Locals and 'riff raff' tourists fit the description above!. Cannot remember a time when it was otherwise. Goa is not a destination, it is a way of life. Which is why Goans and non Goans love it!!!!. The latest craze "red lipstick on a pig" doesnt change the pig into a princess. Goa was cheap before tourists.
You have a wonderful way with words
Actually compared to the rest of India Goa is very expensive.
Even the Indians from other states have complained about the cost of hotels food and other goods.It was printed in one of the Goan rags a while back that domestic tourist were complaining that they are not going to take a vacation in Goa becuase compared to the rest of India it is very expensive.
So they are not satisfied with just ripping us off they are ripping the rest of India off
Old Sep 19th 2008, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

willb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nicewillb is just really nice

"Actually compared to the rest of India Goa is very expensive.
Even the Indians from other states have complained about the cost of hotels food and other goods.It was printed in one of the Goan rags a while back that domestic tourist were complaining that they are not going to take a vacation in Goa becuase compared to the rest of India it is very expensive.
So they are not satisfied with just ripping us off they are ripping the rest of India off"

Hi. Yes prices are going up in Goa. We have been in South Goa for just over a year now, and have seen lots of prices rising. But landlords are also jumping on the price rise band wagon.

We know people who have been with the same landlord for 18 months or more only to be told as of next month your rent is going by 50% or more. Of course that apartment is now empty. Our land lord wants to double our rent as of next month, from 13000 Rps to 26000 Rps. So there will be another apartment to join all the empty ones around here.

They would rather leave them empty than keep the same rent. and if they drop the rent they say they will lose face with the other landlords. This is apart from all the new builds going on, where are they going to get all the people to live in these new builds then. . So i think Goa is in for a quite patch this year. Visa. Rent ETC. i could go on, but i am sure you all know what i mean. We are going to try and ride out the oncoming storm, and see what happens.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 2:23 pm
Account Closed

Hi willb
a very warm welcome to BE. South Goa very nice.
I understand about the cost. Last year we put a budget together to furnish our property,when we got the keys in December and started to shop we had blown our budget in 48hours and hadn't even scratched the surface,everything from furniture to electrical white goods had tripled.
We did however out smart the Goans because when we got home in January I looked on Indian eBay found a company in Rajastan who made all my furniture and delivered to my house in March which was our next trip out to Goa.
The furniture is far better made and has a lot more style than the stuff they are selling in Goa really fabulous,and at least a quarter of the price the Goan rip off merchants are charging.Honestly they must think we really are stupid and are willing to pay there ridiculous prices.:curse:They are the loosers because everyone who has visited us as said how beautiful the furniture is and I have put them in contact with my guy in Rajastan,he's happy Im happy,my friends are happy,the loosers are the greedy Goans who have lost a lot of business: I must admit it gives me great joy everytime I pass on my guy in Rajastans name, because i know that's a few more (£quiddlies) that a poor Brit isn't going to get ripped off for in Goa
If anyone would like my guy's contact please PM me don't want Mitzboy penalising me for advertising

Last edited by Goacrazy56; Sep 19th 2008 at 2:32 pm. Reason: to share my furniture guy's with the rest of the site if they want is details
Old Sep 19th 2008, 3:17 pm
I love apathy!

Default Medical tourism may take a hit

http://www1.timesofindia.indiatimes....ow/3501111.cms

It appears the decline is not just routine tourism:

PANAJI: Hospitals in Goa engaged in medical tourism forsee a 50% fall in arrival of foreigners this season. Alarmed by initial trends, some hospitals are planning new schemes to attract walk-in foreign tourists.

“We expect a 50% decline among foreign tourists who come for dental, cosmetic or bariatic treatment to Goa. Generally during the tourist season, about 10 rooms are booked by foreigners, but the quantum is expected to be less this season,” said Victor Albuquerque, pioneer in medical tourism in Goa.

There’s been a steep decline in bookings by foreign patients at Albuquerque’s Margao hospital, Apollo Victor. From some 200 bookings by foreigners last year, the number has decreased to 20 this year. “We were expecting a 25% increase in foreign patients and had even tied up with hospitals in UK, but due to the global meltdown and Goa’s image sliding from bad to worse, there has been a drastic decline in the number of patients this season,” said Albuquerque.

Hemingway
Old Sep 19th 2008, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud of
Default Re: Medical tourism may take a hit

http://www1.timesofindia.indiatimes....ow/3501111.cms

It appears the decline is not just routine tourism:

PANAJI: Hospitals in Goa engaged in medical tourism forsee a 50% fall in arrival of foreigners this season. Alarmed by initial trends, some hospitals are planning new schemes to attract walk-in foreign tourists.

“We expect a 50% decline among foreign tourists who come for dental, cosmetic or bariatic treatment to Goa. Generally during the tourist season, about 10 rooms are booked by foreigners, but the quantum is expected to be less this season,” said Victor Albuquerque, pioneer in medical tourism in Goa.

There’s been a steep decline in bookings by foreign patients at Albuquerque’s Margao hospital, Apollo Victor. From some 200 bookings by foreigners last year, the number has decreased to 20 this year. “We were expecting a 25% increase in foreign patients and had even tied up with hospitals in UK, but due to the global meltdown and Goa’s image sliding from bad to worse, there has been a drastic decline in the number of patients this season,” said Albuquerque.

Hemingway
Is this any surprise? When you consider LondonTom's informed "fact" that professionals worth their salt move out of Goa, then why would any profession operating in Goa expect an increase in clientele from overseas? If an FN pays for a property only to find they dont own it, then who owns the dentures the FN paid for, or the metal knee joint?. What's the law on that, and if there isnt one will one be created all of a sudden to suit unknown purposes? If there is one, which so called expert professional is willing to clarify for everyone to know? Or does the FN have to contact LondonTom in LONDON for "inside" know how since everything is a big secret in Goa until money has changed hands.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 5:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

babu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nice

I don't know, is there an Indian equivalent of the General Medical Council, Royal College of Surgeons, or the Royal College of Physicians?

There certainly doesn't appear to be a Law Society, unless someone can advise otherwise.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 11:06 pm
Banned

Location: Goring-by-Sea,West Sussex, Algarve,Portugal and Cochin,Kerala
Blue_Max is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by babu1
I don't know, is there an Indian equivalent of the General Medical Council, Royal College of Surgeons, or the Royal College of Physicians?

There certainly doesn't appear to be a Law Society, unless someone can advise otherwise.
why look for equivalents?
You are in another country. Play the game the way they do.
See one my previous posts about how the Indian businessmen handle such situations, survive, win and laugh all the way to the bank.

On second thoughts, going by your attitude and contempt towards Indians, does the likes of you deserve it?
Old Sep 20th 2008, 7:22 pm
Account Closed

Thumbs down Re: In To-day's Newspapers

Case against Goa Education Minister for `faking` qualification
This is the Minister that is responsible for the future education of the Goan youth,Im awfully glad my kid isn't being being educated in Goa right now

http://www.zeenews.com/articles.asp?aid=470526&sid=REG
Old Sep 20th 2008, 11:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

babu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nice

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/a...ow/3438746.cms

How educated is your minister, really?
3 Sep 2008, 0453 hrs IST,TNN

"PANAJI: Three ministers who are actually school drop-outs have been shown to have passed standard X and almost graduated as per information uploaded on the official government's website......

....While tourism minister Mickky Pacheco, who has studied till standard VII is shown to have studied till standard XI on the official website, Joaquim Alemao's educational qualification has been stated as 'SSCE' , even though he left school after standard VII......

....However, Monserrate claimed that he was not affected by such allegations. "Anyone can make an allegation, but it doesn't affect me. I know what is stated in my affidavit and I will substantiate it at the right forum. I am not concerned about people who make allegations," said Monserrate...."

http://www.goavidhansabha.gov.in/pro...d=15&class=gov

http://www.goavidhansabha.gov.in/pro...d=14&class=gov

Name of MLA Shri Atanasio Monserrate
Constituency Taleigao
Name of Father
Shri Joe Monserrate

Date of Birth
20 December 1962

Place of Birth
Aquem Margao

Marital Status
Married

Educational Qualification
S.Y. B.A.

Profession
Business

http://www.goavidhansabha.gov.in/pro...d=12&class=gov

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/net/mmpa...a2c7d&pageno=1

Bandra school nails Goa education minister’s lie

"....He claimed that he’d passed SSC from St Theresa’s School but records show he studied only till Std VIII.....

The minister claimed, “The FIR filed against me is just a conspiracy.”..."
Attached Thumbnails In To-day's Newspapers-c10-02d.jpg   In To-day's Newspapers-c10-02b.jpg  
Old Sep 21st 2008, 7:41 am
I love apathy!

Default Shock horror - riff-raff from other countries!

Blue_Max wrote: Most of them are better type of tourists. They don't live shacks. Goans had enough of their small state turned into a cheap destination and a place of disrepute by shack dwelling, drug ridden 'riff-raff'.

Well according to today's ToI, this drug ridden riff-raff lark is not a monopoly for the brits:

Mumbai cops raid Anjuna drug dealer

Panaji: Officials of the antinarcotics branch of the Mumbai police together with Anjuna police raided the house of an alleged drug dealer, Dudu on Saturday night.
The Israeli, who, top local police sources say, has been living in Anjuna since the late 90s, has been taken into custody for interrogation.

Police sources told TOI that Dudu is allegedly one of the Israeli drug dealers who pushes, sells and deals in drugs in Goa.

The above is not the entire article to avoid any copywright issues.

Just for information it is a beautiful sunny morning with a completely cloudless sky here in Northern Riff-Raff land. . . . . .

Hemingway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.