Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is misspelling on green card a problem ?

Is misspelling on green card a problem ?

Old Oct 16th 2009, 2:19 pm
ILM
Forum Regular

ILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really nice
Default Is misspelling on green card a problem ?

Hi
had my conditions lifted and a new green card issued, with a 10 year expiry date, nothing strange about that.
However I was traveling back through the Canadian border at Niagara falls and the keeper of the country safe official spotted my name was misspelled on the card.
my last name being Mitchell, it was spelled MMITCHELL.

he said it shouldnt be a problem and would cost me to have it corrected with a new card if i wanted to.

My question is should i pursue a new card or just leave it?
Old Oct 16th 2009, 2:31 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is misspelling on green card a problem ?

Originally Posted by ILM
Hi
had my conditions lifted and a new green card issued, with a 10 year expiry date, nothing strange about that.
However I was traveling back through the Canadian border at Niagara falls and the keeper of the country safe official spotted my name was misspelled on the card.

he said it shouldnt be a problem and would cost me to have it corrected with a new card if i wanted to.

I see nothing ........
Old Oct 16th 2009, 2:31 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ILM
Hi

Mine was incorrect can't remeber if it was the name or the birthday or both lol but either way.....get it changed if I were you

LOL Found my old thread http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=505541
Old Oct 16th 2009, 2:34 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Mine was incorrect can't remeber if it was the name or the birthday or both lol but either way.....get it changed if I were you
at $370 it would be cheaper to change his name to MMitchell
Old Oct 16th 2009, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Since you hate smileys, I wont leave one...

But that's damn funny
Old Oct 16th 2009, 2:37 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
I caught it in time and did not pay.

Check you GC folks don't assume all information entered is correct
Old Oct 16th 2009, 2:39 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it is a problem. It will NOT cost you to have it corrected.

Originally Posted by ILM
Hi

Old Oct 16th 2009, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

osgood will become famous soon enoughosgood will become famous soon enough

Yes. at the ins,it will cost you to change it.....Happens a lot.mispelling etc..
Old Oct 16th 2009, 2:56 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by Rete
Yes, it is a problem. It will NOT cost you to have it corrected.
Yere right ...they will want paying ...
Old Oct 16th 2009, 3:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Mine had the initial N on it as my middle name, I had that thing for 15 yrs before I ever realised it, I never was asked to show it anywhere and didn't even know it had an exp' date on it until I handed it over at my USC ceremony

It seems that some people cannot accept that I don't have a middle name and when they type 'nmn' in the space on forms, I always end up with a middle initial N
Old Oct 16th 2009, 3:12 pm

Just except the fact myself and Rete are right you are wrong

Change it.....And as I stated earlier I DID NOT PAY
Old Oct 16th 2009, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

cpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of light

http://www.ailc.com/howdoi/document.htm

"To correct a Permanent Resident Card (I-551), you must file an form I-90. IF the error was the fault of INS or USCIS, you do NOT have to pay the fee. IF the error was your fault, you DO need to pay the fee."
Old Oct 16th 2009, 4:16 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by osgood
Yes. at the ins,it will cost you to change it.....Happens a lot.mispelling etc..

No, it will not. If the mistake was at the fault of the USCIS (there hasn't been an INS for many years), there is no charge.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 12:52 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ILM
Hi

Hi:

Take a look at your old card and your I-751 application. Did YOU spell your name correctly? If so, then it is Service Error and you can do an I-90 without fee to correct the error. Please note that the law requires you to keep your green card on your person at all times and to RETURN the green card to DHS for correction.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 12:59 am
ILM
Forum Regular

ILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really niceILM is just really nice

Originally Posted by cpe111
http://www.ailc.com/howdoi/document.htm

"To correct a Permanent Resident Card (I-551), you must file an form I-90. IF the error was the fault of INS or USCIS, you do NOT have to pay the fee. IF the error was your fault, you DO need to pay the fee."

I am trying to file the I-90 form and it comes up with an expired dated form, 06/30/09, I cant find a form that has any current date on it , so may look into E-file forms, just finding it difficult to navigate these pages as usual the USCIS dont exactly make it easy.

I did check my old card and no error was on that card , also checked the pdf of the form submitted on my I-751 and all is in order there too, looks like a genuine USCIS mistake.

I'm also instructed to send in the PDF of the original form & the green card, no problem with the form, but I dont like parting with my green card as i travel through Canada quite alot, in fact I have to go there again tomorrow for the day.
Thanks for all the replies so far guys.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.