Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Drivers License just passed...

Drivers License just passed...

Old Apr 22nd 2014, 7:39 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drivers License just passed...

Originally Posted by JAJ
..... However, there are some people (including some in Australia) who cannot obtain a local licence, even if they want to.
Also there are those who go on a "global trek" sometimes taking years to travel from county to country. What of them? Do they become "licenceless" when they sell up/ give up their lease and set off around the world? No, of course they don't!
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 7:46 pm
in Northern California

malch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
The obligation to report a new address only applies if the new address is in Great Britain (England/Scotland/Wales). Those moving outside GB do not have to inform DVLA of a new address, as far as I am aware.
They used to say "no need if you move abroad". However, that statement appears to have been removed from the official web sites in more recent times.

The overall intent (license should match the drivers real address) seems fairly clear to me and I certainly wouldn't want to argue otherwise with a policeman, magistrate, or judge. Lecturing Constable Jobsworth on the law is rarely a winning proposition :-)

I still have my 20 years old (pink) drivers license. But I'm definitely not going to try and use it when I visit the UK in a few months time.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 7:58 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by malch
They used to say "no need if you move abroad". However, that statement appears to have been removed from the official web sites in more recent times.
Nothing has changed:
https://www.gov.uk/change-address-driving-licence

The overall intent (license should match the drivers real address) seems fairly clear to me and I certainly wouldn't want to argue otherwise with a policeman, magistrate, or judge. Lecturing Constable Jobsworth on the law is rarely a winning proposition :-)
However, if they wish to prosecute, they need to have a basis in the law. I've yet to see anyone note the relevant section of the Road Traffic Act that makes validity of a driving licence conditional on continued residence in Great Britain.

By the way, the Republic of Ireland authorities are telling GB licence holders that they may continue to drive (and not get an Irish licence) as long as their GB licence is valid:
http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en...ng_permit.html

The Northern Ireland authorities say the same:
http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/index/inf...-countries.htm

(and you'd think that the DVLA would tell them otherwise if they were wrong).

I still have my 20 years old (pink) drivers license. But I'm definitely not going to try and use it when I visit the UK in a few months time.
Of course.

However, if you were ineligible for a local drivers licence, then would you have much choice?
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 9:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IlAlfie
Should be taking my CA test in a couple of weeks. Have to say that I'm not looking forward to it as I haven't actually driven much in the last 3 years. But it's only 15 minutes? How many mistakes can I make in 15 minutes? ...Erm, probably quite a few.
If I were you, I wouldn't take the road test in the city but instead find a quiet suburb to take the road test.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by malch
I ran fowl of the DMV insurance provisions when I moved to CA. I planned to take my test using a rental car. I went through the rental car agreement and insurance paperwork with a fine tooth comb and could find nothing to prohibit using the rental for the test. But DMV flat out refused to accept it.

Ultimately, I contacted a local driving school. They said I could use their vehicle if I purchased one 1-hour lesson. I scheduled the lesson immediately prior to my test appointment. Although I'd be driving for 20 years in the UK, the instructor gave me some great tips for passing the test! e.g. He pointed out all of the blind intersections on their test routes. I passed with flying colors and certainly wasn't unhappy about the few extra bucks I spent with the driving school.
Chicken, duck or turkey?
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 10:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimFountain
Chicken, duck or turkey?
Did it cross the road?
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Could have been even more bizarre:

Old Apr 23rd 2014, 11:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MMcD
Could have been even more bizarre:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ykJUjq0OIyU
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 11:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Did it cross the road? ....
Yes, didn't you read his post? ..... It ran!
Old Apr 24th 2014, 8:45 am
Fort Collins, Colorado

yukichon will become famous soon enoughyukichon will become famous soon enough

Passed my Colorado test couple of weeks back.....interesting experience. They seemed to think traffic was bad. I drive into and around London every week, so it felt like a ghost road to me. Test was very basic, was more concerned about the theory part. Anyways, I passed and was only pulled up for going 20 in a school zone when the lights weren't flashing. Oh, and my examiner was a transgender female called 'Chris'
Old Apr 24th 2014, 3:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by yukichon
Passed my Colorado test couple of weeks back.....interesting experience. They seemed to think traffic was bad. I drive into and around London every week, so it felt like a ghost road to me. Test was very basic, was more concerned about the theory part. Anyways, I passed and was only pulled up for going 20 in a school zone when the lights weren't flashing. Oh, and my examiner was a transgender female called 'Chris'
Was it like 'Bab's Cabs'?
Old Apr 24th 2014, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Was it like 'Bab's Cabs'?
I was watching some re-runs of that last week.
Introducing the OH to it.. could be a hard task but she did laugh at Papa Lazarou so there is hope.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 3:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jonion
I was watching some re-runs of that last week.
Introducing the OH to it.. could be a hard task but she did laugh at Papa Lazarou so there is hope.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

IlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
If I were you, I wouldn't take the road test in the city but instead find a quiet suburb to take the road test.
You might be right. I've booked it already so I'll give it a go. I'm taking a couple of lessons to make sure that I go through the test route quite a few times. I'm rusty but hopefully not dangerous! We'll see. Just want to get it over with really.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

I'm taking a couple of lessons
Hopefully that'll sort you out

I'm rusty
With the lessons...not so much

Just be sure the car isn't or it could be a fail before you even begin the test.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.