Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Renting apartment/house when you first move over with no US credit?

Renting apartment/house when you first move over with no US credit?

Old Nov 17th 2013, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Renting apartment/house when you first move over with no US credit?

I was just wondering how other BE members managed to rent their first apartment/house with no/limited US credit history? Did you stick to private landlords, or did lettings agents allow you to pay a few months rent in advance?

In particular, anyone with experience in renting in NY state? Anything to watch out for?

Hoffage
Old Nov 17th 2013, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

notonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting apartment/house when you first move over with no US credit?

We have rented three different houses all through private landlords in NY State since 2003. The first property when we had no credit history we had to provide copies of visa, letter from employer, proof of income and they also ran credit checks on us. OH company paid the security deposit and also acted as a guarantor.

All houses were in the same area and about 30 minutes commute to NYC. We had to use a realtor to actually view the houses. Watch out for realtors trying to charge you ridiculous finders fees (we never paid any fees) we always go directly to the listing agent having researched the houses online. Do not sign any contracts realtors give you prior to showing you a rental property, it could tie you to them and even if you find a property with a different realtor they can claim a fee.

If you are looking for a property to rent in NYC its slightly different process to the burbs, you will have to sign up with an agent unless you try and use craigslist. Try and negotiate the fees as it should be the landlord that pays them but some try and get the tenants to pay a %
Old Nov 17th 2013, 11:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Plenty of threads on advice on this.

We've always had to put first/last + 1 months deposit down. In MA we've had to pay a realtor fee the landlord used at one place. Also had to pay for a few application fee's and credit checks, but also was able to explain that there was limited history.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 1:44 am
Forum Regular

Lbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond repute

Our first apartment was in a huge corporate owned development, my husbands employer co-signed until we could give our SSNs to get it put just in our name.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

jaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond repute

We went through a realtor who earned their 15% fee by negotiating as NYC is notoriously difficult (less than 2% unoccupancy). I had no credit record here and ended up paying 3 months rent in advance. Worked out well in the end and we're still in the same place.
Old Nov 21st 2013, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

Amber90 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hoffage123
I was just wondering how other BE members managed to rent their first apartment/house with no/limited US credit history? Did you stick to private landlords, or did lettings agents allow you to pay a few months rent in advance?

In particular, anyone with experience in renting in NY state? Anything to watch out for?

Hoffage
We rented our flat with my wife through private landlords in NY. It’s not so difficult as it seems to be. In fact, it’s very possible to find a nice apartment without established credit. If your parents can’t co-sign a lease for an apartment, you may also ask a trusted friend, family member or spouse to be a co-signer for an apartment. A co-signer becomes necessary when the person applying for the loan doesn’t have sufficient credit history, reliability or income to get the loan on his own. For example, people who have a history of defaulting on loan payments likely wouldn’t be approved; neither would a recent graduate who hasn’t had time to build credit. So find a co-signer who trusts you.
Old Nov 21st 2013, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

jaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond repute

Only issue we found with co-signers was the income multiplier. We found that a lot of the rental buildings in NYC like to see 40x rent as your annual income, this is normally extended to 85x for guarantors. This required us to find someone (or two guarantors) earning $240k for the average NYC 1 bedroom. There is definitely room for negotiation though!
Old Nov 21st 2013, 4:03 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jaffy23
Only issue we found with co-signers was the income multiplier. We found that a lot of the rental buildings in NYC like to see 40x rent as your annual income, this is normally extended to 85x for guarantors. This required us to find someone (or two guarantors) earning $240k for the average NYC 1 bedroom. There is definitely room for negotiation though!
40x!!!
Old Nov 21st 2013, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

Chrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond repute

I tried to rent in a large apartment building in manhattan while on a visa. Building management asked for 3 months rent in advance plus two month's deposit. Total to move in - $15,000!!!

I ended up in a nice doorman building, but it was a condo building and I rented from a private landlord. Best of both worlds.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 4:55 am
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

I've read the threads and wiki on credit but I'm still confused. We've been here a month. We need to move out of our temporary airbnb apartment into something more permanent.

If we rent an apartment through a private landlord (because that's the only option when you have no credit history) we'll most likely be paying our own utilities ...but do you need credit history to sign up for utilities (electricity, internet ... TV I don't need) in the first place?
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 4:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sherbert
I've read the threads and wiki on credit but I'm still confused. We've been here a month. We need to move out of our temporary airbnb apartment into something more permanent.

If we rent an apartment through a private landlord (because that's the only option when you have no credit history) we'll most likely be paying our own utilities ...but do you need credit history to sign up for utilities (electricity, internet ... TV I don't need) in the first place?
You can pay a deposit.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 5:14 am
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Pay a deposit for the utilities? Or for the rental (which I expected).
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 5:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sherbert
Pay a deposit for the utilities? Or for the rental (which I expected).
Utilities.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 7:47 pm
Just Joined

Catmo is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband's employer provider a letter showing his income to secure our rental flat. We paid a deposit, but you would pay that in the UK for a rental property and it was less than 1 month rent, so no problems there.

For gas and electricity we paid a deposit ($60 for gas and $150 for electricity I think) and apparently we will get them back after we've made one year of payments. That is coming up this month, so I will be keeping a close eye out for them!
Old Apr 26th 2014, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

phil77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello All,

We are going back home and need to rent our house in Westport CT (great place for families with kids at all ages!).

Where would be best places to publish our house for homeowners rentals? Seems the best is to get to the MLS but this requires me to go through an agent that I like to avoid.

Thanks for helping

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.