Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Price of gas update...

Price of gas update...

Old Mar 26th 2014, 8:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Price of gas update...

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
https://www.google.com/search?q=la+s...ml%3B290%3B192
I lived in the L A basin in the 70's...horrible.
I lived there in the 1960s driving Interstate 10 daily not realizing that there was a snow capped mountain (My. Baldy) behind Arcadia. Finally 6 months later it appeared.

Even in San Jose there was a yellow haze over the city during most of the summer. However about 5 years ago, the bay area air was so clean for three years in a row that if it made it through the 4th year, it would have been the first major metropolitan area in the US to have federal smog restrictions lifted. Well into the 4th year, everything was fine and then a stagnant air layer hung over the bay area in September and the Livermore sensors went of three times in a week.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 8:25 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
I lived there in the 1960s driving Interstate 10 daily not realizing that there was a snow capped mountain (My. Baldy) behind Arcadia. Finally 6 months later it appeared.

Even in San Jose there was a yellow haze over the city during most of the summer. However about 5 years ago, the bay area air was so clean for three years in a row that if it made it through the 4th year, it would have been the first major metropolitan area in the US to have federal smog restrictions lifted. Well into the 4th year, everything was fine and then a stagnant air layer hung over the bay area in September and the Livermore sensors went of three times in a week.
The San Gabriels can be quite spectacular after a cool vigorous winter storm. I remember looking at Mt Baldy and watching the daily retreat of the snowline. There was a ridge of hills 2 or 3 miles from my house that couldn't be seen all summer.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 8:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

The San Gabriels can be quite spectacular after a cool vigorous winter storm. I remember looking at Mt Baldy and watching the daily retreat of the snowline. There was a ridge of hills 2 or 3 miles from my house that couldn't be seen all summer.
Although LA air quality has significantly improved since the 1960s, the valley is a big stagnant air trap and will never be like the bay area. I was in LA a couple weeks ago and nothing is real clear where as I could normally see the San Francisco skyline (if it wasn't covered in fog) from my townhouse in the Fremont Hills 60 miles away.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 7:16 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

It used to be that the San Gabriels were only visible in winter time [Every January 1st, the TV broadcast from the corner of Orange Grove & Colorado would mention the "the snow capped San Gabriels" in the background and 10,000 people would decide that they wanted to move to LA for the weather. ]. However, the mountains would be removed for the Summer. Now they are quite visible most days.

Back in January, we took a trip up to the Bay Area -- the San Joaquin Valley had brown air while the LA basis had blue air. It used to be just the opposite.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 7:21 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
Although LA air quality has significantly improved since the 1960s, the valley is a big stagnant air trap and will never be like the bay area. I was in LA a couple weeks ago and nothing is real clear where as I could normally see the San Francisco skyline (if it wasn't covered in fog) from my townhouse in the Fremont Hills 60 miles away.
Yep, the entire basin is an "air trap" as you call it. There is often an "inversion layer" which acts as a cap and the off-shore wind bottles up everything in the basin. That is why the Santana winds clean out everything. That said, several decades of strict emission controls have had an effect. In one of the other threads there was mention of oil based paint -- you can buy the stuff in L.A. in quart cans and not gallons [there is a black market in smuggling in gallons from Arizona, but I digress]. I remember back-yard incinerators from when I was a kid. Those are long gone. Most cars are post 1990 and the vehicle emissions stuff has really worked and you can't register the damn car without a biannual clean emissions test.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 7:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Yep, the entire basin is an "air trap" as you call it. There is often an "inversion layer" which acts as a cap and the off-shore wind bottles up everything in the basin. That is why the Santana winds clean out everything. That said, several decades of strict emission controls have had an effect. In one of the other threads there was mention of oil based paint -- you can buy the stuff in L.A. in quart cans and not gallons [there is a black market in smuggling in gallons from Arizona, but I digress]. I remember back-yard incinerators from when I was a kid. Those are long gone. Most cars are post 1990 and the vehicle emissions stuff has really worked and you can't register the damn car without a biannual clean emissions test.
Maybe with climate change, the LA basin will get stronger winds to push the smog out and rain to clear the air as the winds and rains die out in the bay area trapping the smog.
Old Mar 29th 2014, 7:24 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Up and down the last couple of weeks but still in the $3.45-65 region.

Local place is currently $3.43G though at the local bulk store.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 3:13 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I paid 44.9¢/gal today.
Old May 23rd 2014, 3:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

One place is $3.43G whilst most places are $3.56-3.68 a G for the cheap stuff.
Old May 23rd 2014, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

andrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond repute

It's $8.65/gal here in Northampton, England.
Old May 23rd 2014, 9:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by andrewlohnes
It's $8.65/gal here in Northampton, England.
Which sucks.

Then again, my mother can get the bus across the county for 10p :/
Old May 24th 2014, 1:15 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Bizarrely, a BP gas station near where I live, that had been selling for $3.589 cut prices by 7c about ten days ago, and the price cut has held upto the Memorial Day weekend. Another BP under common ownship across town sells at the same price, and another nearby at 1c more. Competing Shell and Citgo stations match the prices.
Old Jun 14th 2014, 3:57 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bulk store a couple towns over, petrol was $3.46G The one in town was $3.56G

Petrol station up the road is $3.66G

So anyone seeing any price changes as we're coming into summer?
Old Jun 14th 2014, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
Bulk store a couple towns over, petrol was $3.46G The one in town was $3.56G

Petrol station up the road is $3.66G

So anyone seeing any price changes as we're coming into summer?
The prices here are slowly drifting downwards. The BP's in town were selling at $3.479 and $3.469 when I drove past in my truck yesterday morning. Later when we headed out in the Mustang we paid $3.519 for BP petrol because the cheaper price was way too far out of the way to make it sensible to detour for the lower price. Here in TN the BP near the hotel is selling below $3.409 (update to follow).

Note, the BP stations in NC price to match other brands, even the discount ones like Marathon and Citgo. The BP just outside the nearest BJ's is sometimes selling below the BJ's price.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 14th 2014 at 4:42 pm.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

It's $3.41 typically round here, but using the Walmart credit card, I get 15 cents a gallon discount, making it $3.26.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.