Goa

Old Feb 2nd 2014, 9:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goa

Originally Posted by dragon1954
Would just like to get an idea of what Goa is like. North/South tourist/non tourist. I live in Australia so expect a certain level of good hygiene etc.
It is difficult to describe in a few words. In brief Goa is different from the rest of Indian states in that it was occupied by the Portuguese for several hundred years which influenced its culture, large numbers of Hindus fled so many, but not the majority, of people are Christian. Possibly one big difference is that alcohol is freely available and inexpensive. The tourist trade has gradually built up over the years particularly in north Goa. (It started in the south really with the 'hippy' culture of the 60s.)
Now north Goa is a magnet for tourists, from UK, Russia and other parts of India.
North Goa has a serious garbage collection problem.!!

South Goa in places might be too quiet for you.
I would suggest you research the Colva area (north of the south as it were). Beautiful beach, some decent hotels which will be perfectly hygienic, beach shacks etc.
Tourists but less than North.
It is within reach of Panjim town and the old Goa Churches and the Ponda temples.
You could make trips to the really beautiful beaches further south.
If you wanted a taste of 'real India' persuade a taxi to take you over the south border, to Karwar town. It would be an expensive fare (by local standards) go on a Sunday to see the market, people there are poor but no real poverty or beggars. The view over the river bridge is amazing. Take your own sandwiches only south Indian cuisine available (and quite hot). Very few foreign tourists ever go there!!!!

Just thought if you did go to Karwar you would need to go into a hotel for a snack as no public toilets. (None usable in Goa either as far as I know)!!!!

Last edited by Bipat; Feb 2nd 2014 at 11:00 am.
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 12:01 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

The food/drink situation which Germanfool describes sounds very similar to Phuket, where you get a lot of power cuts at certain times of the year....and the same food consequences
Old Feb 4th 2014, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

GermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to beholdGermanFool is a splendid one to behold

Well, perhaps what I wrote sounded worse than what it's actually like and what I meant.
Like I said, it's basically all just common sense.
Don't eat at a place where you're all alone, and do take a look at the kitchen first.
Have them show you the fish before they fry/grill it, look at its eyes and gills and if they don't comply, let it go back.
For once, this is where the more touristy places are the better ones. Bigger turnover -> better quality and freshness.

It is easy to find good, even great food in Goa. But it's even easier to find bad stuff that will make you really sick...

It mostly happens when you give in to that sort of laziness that makes you eat at a place just because it is nearby. Easily avoided. Better to take that cab and have it take you to a place that people in this forum have recommended...
(Even if that means that you might have to phone in to make a reservation).
And stay away from that "Chicken Lasagne"!

May you all be spared from Montezuma's Revenge!

Cheers
Steph

Last edited by GermanFool; Feb 4th 2014 at 10:31 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 2:26 am
Account Closed

dragon1954 is an unknown quantity at this point

Very worrying reading your posts about food poisoning! In Bali recently, an Australian mother and daughter died after eating fish!

Over the years I've had a few bad bouts of food poisoning in different countries and I definitely don't want to suffer again! As i said earlier, part of the fun when travelling abroad is eating the local cuisines.....how do the locals survive? or are they just more immune than overseas tourists?
Old Feb 5th 2014, 5:02 am
Forum Regular

jcbrum is an unknown quantity at this point

Very worrying reading your posts about food poisoning! In Bali recently, an Australian mother and daughter died after eating fish!

Over the years I've had a few bad bouts of food poisoning in different countries and I definitely don't want to suffer again! As i said earlier, part of the fun when travelling abroad is eating the local cuisines.....how do the locals survive? or are they just more immune than overseas tourists?
Some of the comments are an over reaction.It's probably 99% safe to eat anywhere beachside in Goa,the hygiene in places isn't that brilliant but most food is cooked fresh so you won't have any problems.As for ice, most places buy the ice from local outlets so it's no problem to have it with your drinks.

John
Old Feb 5th 2014, 6:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Would agree with above poster. Just be normally sensible, often local cuisine more safe than the attempts at European dishes!! Just stick to freshly cooked food and bottled water. Avoid ice cream, salads etc. I personally avoid ice. Peeled fruit of course is safe and cooked vegetarian dishes safest of all.

Possibly one note of caution in a hotel with a buffet go early before it has been standing too long and only have hard- boiled not soft-boiled eggs.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 1:26 am
BE Enthusiast

leavinggoa is a jewel in the roughleavinggoa is a jewel in the roughleavinggoa is a jewel in the roughleavinggoa is a jewel in the roughleavinggoa is a jewel in the rough

When are you coming? Monsoon is mid June until September. The best months are December to February. It starts to get hotter and humid in April/May pre monsoon. With regard to food safety, if the place is busy and the food is hot, then you'll be OK. I only eat minced products at home.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 6:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by leavinggoa
When are you coming? Monsoon is mid June until September. The best months are December to February. It starts to get hotter and humid in April/May pre monsoon. With regard to food safety, if the place is busy and the food is hot, then you'll be OK. I only eat minced products at home.
Minced what???? If you mean meat, I cannot think of anything worse!!!!
Old Feb 6th 2014, 7:31 am
BE Enthusiast

leavinggoa is a jewel in the roughleavinggoa is a jewel in the roughleavinggoa is a jewel in the roughleavinggoa is a jewel in the roughleavinggoa is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Bipat
Minced what???? If you mean meat, I cannot think of anything worse!!!!
Yup. Minced meat has to be looked after carefully - anywhere in the world. I've been here over 9 years, apart from visa runs (Ha Ha) and holidays, and had only minor stomach trouble.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 7:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by leavinggoa
Yup. Minced meat has to be looked after carefully - anywhere in the world. I've been here over 9 years, apart from visa runs (Ha Ha) and holidays, and had only minor stomach trouble.
I admire your confidence, we don't generally eat meat in India only fish and veg Indian cuisine.
Even in UK I would be very careful of 'mince'-- how do you know what is in it ? remember the horse meat scare?
Old Feb 6th 2014, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

That's why there aren't many horses in Goa???.......
Old Feb 7th 2014, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

davidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nice

Glasgow is very nice this time of year.

Davie.
Old Feb 9th 2014, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

Bipat, in my experience ice-cream and all dairy products and eggs* are quite safe in Goa, so is the meat (mutton, pork and beef) though not of European cut or standard. Most butchers will mince beef for you so you see what you're getting (but check the mincer) - we usually mince our own (and make our own sausage) but some particularly tough pork skin (for dog mince) shattered the internals of our electric mincer (they are an exorbitant price here so will have to wait till next trip for a new one).

* We eat the mass-produced ones from the hen & egg shops/ supermarkets and free-range from the market when we can get them.

AndyD 8-)
Old Feb 9th 2014, 4:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by a_f_d
Bipat, in my experience ice-cream and all dairy products and eggs* are quite safe in Goa, so is the meat (mutton, pork and beef) though not of European cut or standard. Most butchers will mince beef for you so you see what you're getting (but check the mincer) - we usually mince our own (and make our own sausage) but some particularly tough pork skin (for dog mince) shattered the internals of our electric mincer (they are an exorbitant price here so will have to wait till next trip for a new one).

* We eat the mass-produced ones from the hen & egg shops/ supermarkets and free-range from the market when we can get them.

AndyD 8-)
Ice -cream etc. probably just long-term habit and travelling outside Goa.
We don't eat meat so have never been inside a butchers shop there.
In truth, I eat salads, but am always admonished by OH who never does.

Eggs, I just meant the so called hardboiled in hotels, last time I opened one it was liquid Ugh. Put me off.
I presume the OP asking the question will stay in hotels and eat in restaurants where you are dependent on the hygiene of the person preparing your food.

Most of our time lately spent in Karwar where everything free-range and mostly just chickens available, killed when bought.