Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Green Card Petition - About To Submit

Green Card Petition - About To Submit

Old Apr 28th 2014, 7:41 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Green Card Petition - About To Submit

Originally Posted by Jerni
Our lawyer said that affidavits are actually good supporting documents.
I submit that your lawyer is a fool. Why? Because affidavits call into question the integrity and character of the person supplying the affidavit. Affidavits are never "good supporting documents". For some, however, they are the only evidence available... which makes them, at best, the lesser of two evils (the other choice being no evidence at all). If other documents are available, then affidavits are the weakest form of evidence.

FWIW, I agree with hungryhorace... affidavits are essentially pointless. They should be used only in the absence of other evidence.

Ian
Old Apr 28th 2014, 8:28 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Actually I was NOT aware of this. If that were the case, why would they have you bring in evidence of your joint life together to the AOS interview?
To support a bone fide marriage. The main contention is proving the marriage was not entered into *solely* with the intention of obtaining an immigration benefit. An affidavit from people you know doesn't remotely prove that, anyone could write such words and be paid to do so. The very fact you're submitting one in the first place calls into question the 'bona fide' of the marriage given you've clearly *nothing* else to submit.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 8:36 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
The very fact you're submitting one in the first place calls into question the 'bona fide' of the marriage given you've clearly *nothing* else to submit.
Not if you've only been married a few days...

Rene
Old Apr 28th 2014, 8:43 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Not if you've only been married a few days...

Rene
With considerable respect, I disagree. Me and my wife were married for around a week before I submitted my AOS package. We'd been living together for around 6 months prior, and had everything ready to go to 'prove' our relationship.

I think the scenario you're referring to is when a couple marries before spending enough time to have evidence of joint bills etc I presume?
Old Apr 28th 2014, 8:55 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

With considerable respect, I disagree. Me and my wife were married for around a week before I submitted my AOS package. We'd been living together for around 6 months prior, and had everything ready to go to 'prove' our relationship.
Well, you had the advantage of already having lived together for 6 months prior to marriage. Lots of people going through AOS don't have that.

I think the scenario you're referring to is when a couple marries before spending enough time to have evidence of joint bills etc I presume?
Yes. I am talking about the fact that SOME people who are newly married, have not been together in real life long enough to get paper proof of their bonafide marriage to send in with the I-130. In those specifica cases, sworn affidavts are about all they can submit. So they are not worthless in that scenario.

Rene
Old Apr 28th 2014, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

Jerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond repute

It's completely pointless. What does it prove exactly? That you're married? Your marriage certificate proves that.
It proves the social aspect of your relationship. AOS evidence is broken down into groups:

(1)Financial - mortgage, bank accounts, credit cards, car ownership etc.
(2)Legal - wills, beneficiary information, etc.
(3)Social - affidavits, photos, etc.

A well rounded evidence package will include items from all 3. USCIS does not ask for things without some kind of reason (no matter how strange in some cases...)
Old Apr 28th 2014, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

Jerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I submit that your lawyer is a fool. Why? Because affidavits call into question the integrity and character of the person supplying the affidavit. Affidavits are never "good supporting documents". For some, however, they are the only evidence available... which makes them, at best, the lesser of two evils (the other choice being no evidence at all). If other documents are available, then affidavits are the weakest form of evidence.

FWIW, I agree with hungryhorace... affidavits are essentially pointless. They should be used only in the absence of other evidence.

Ian
I didn't realize you were a lawyer either.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 9:10 pm
Banned

It proves the social aspect of your relationship. AOS evidence is broken down into groups:

(1)Financial - mortgage, bank accounts, credit cards, car ownership etc.
(2)Legal - wills, beneficiary information, etc.
(3)Social - affidavits, photos, etc.

A well rounded evidence package will include items from all 3. USCIS does not ask for things without some kind of reason (no matter how strange in some cases...)
Photos - yes. Affidavits? Come off it.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

Photos - yes. Affidavits? Come off it.
Clearly they have some value, otherwise why would USCIS even mention them?
Old Apr 28th 2014, 9:15 pm

Sworn affidavits DO have some value, it's just the weakest form of evidence of all the types of evidence one can submit. If one has stronger evidence, the affidavits are not really necessary. Of course they can be included for good measure, and of course can be included if that's the ONLY form of evidence one has. But if one has the typical other forms of evidence (banking, insurance, credit cards, bills, wills, etc), that is much stronger evidence.

Rene
Old Apr 28th 2014, 9:15 pm

They mention them as just one of many pieces of evidence that can be submitted.

Rene
Old Apr 28th 2014, 9:19 pm
Banned

USCIS mentions a lot of things, doesn't mean you should take them at face value. Why did you use an attorney to perform an AOS out of interest?
Old Apr 28th 2014, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

USCIS mentions a lot of things, doesn't mean you should take them at face value. Why did you use an attorney to perform an AOS out of interest?
I don't see what relevance my case has to this particular thread. I'm sure I posted about it somewhere here.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 9:32 pm

Getting off topic.

Thread closed.

Rene